So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by dbr »

Aaronp18 wrote:Cap space is an asset if there is someone to spend it on.

The free agency group the last few years has been abysmal at best. Does anyone truthfully think we missed out on signings because of a lack of cap space?
Honestly I do wonder if the Canucks wouldn't have been better off trying to sign Zbynek Michalek, Paul Martin, Anton Volchenkov or even Jordan Leopold or Toni Lydman rather than trading for Ballard.

Lots of competent defenders went that summer.

That being said it's 20/20 hindsight at it's finest.. If Gillis had sat back while Ballard was dealt and then failed to sign a single defenseman of note that summer, this team would probably have won their division and been blown out in the second round as usual in 2011 - at best.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

The free agency group the last few years has been abysmal at best. Does anyone truthfully think we missed out on signings because of a lack of cap space?
This.

The Canucks do not seem to have missed out on anyone this off season due to Booths contract so it's difficult to argue that the move was a poor one.

The cap is dropping next season but with Lu likely being traded, Malholtra and Raymond expiring, and Ballard being bought out, I don't see the team having cap issues.

Over all I would say that Gillis is about even on his trades. The Ballard move was awful, but the Ehrhoff deal was fantastic. Bernier wasn't great but Higgens and Lappy were. Jury still out on Booth and Kassian deals.

Drafting has also been fairly pedestrian.

The most important thing that Gillis has done BY FAR, is to turn the Canucks into a truly exceptional organization to play for. This has allowed him to sign our free agents to below market contracts as well as bring in other quality free agents.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vader wrote: Just curious - is it OK to acknowledge Gillis made a bad trade or two on this site?
Looking for yet another BJ from RD? :roll:

The reason he doesn't receive much criticism in regards to trades is that Gillis' trading record is very good.

In retrospect, only two bad trades over the years.... and they both involve Steve Bernier.

Last edited by Strangelove on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: If the mystery team is Edmonton, ain't nobody I want on that team I want outside of Hall, Eberle, Yak, RNH, Schultz, Klefbom or their 2013 1st round pick.
So what you're saying is.... outside of the Fab Four and possibly Klefbom... the Oil are a shit team going forward. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The inclusion of Bernier's contract makes the Ballard acquisition palatable.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Strangelove wrote:
Vader wrote: Just curious - is it OK to acknowledge Gillis made a bad trade or two on this site?
Other way around :oops:
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Yeah...so when you got some you spend wisely. For all the talk about Luongo's deal saving cap space it's undone when it's used to trade for Ballard.

I'm not a Gillis bashing guy, I just find it bizzarre with the benefit of hindsight some STILL can't acknowledge the Ballard trade was a blunder

It's a madhouse!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Vader wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Other way around :oops:
Splortsnet Pacific Blue
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:The inclusion of Bernier's contract makes the Ballard acquisition palatable.
Yeah, not really,,

That deal was terrible.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Vader wrote:
Yeah...so when you got some you spend wisely. For all the talk about Luongo's deal saving cap space it's undone when it's used to trade for Ballard.

I'm not a Gillis bashing guy, I just find it bizzarre with the benefit of hindsight some STILL can't acknowledge the Ballard trade was a blunder

It's a madhouse!
Ballard has played like a 1.5 mill 6/7 defenseman, so yeah he is terribly over paid and the cap hit is very bad.

Booth on the other hand scored at a 23/82 pace with out significant ice time. His contract is probably fine if if the cap is in the high 60's low 70's.

With a shrinking cap he might be a little over paid but there is no comparison between his deal and Ballards. I also think Booth can improve his numbers if he can stay healthy, he was looking quite good before his leg injury.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vader wrote:

It's a madhouse!
It would be something worth mentioning if MOST refused to acknowledge the Ballard trade was a blunder.

I'd say... at this point.... 95% of the posters here say: BLUNDER.

But hey every GM makes some blunders and in retrospect thus far Gillis' trading overall record looks very good.

By the way, RD has complained in this forum about his impotence sooo.... good luck with that? :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RD also said his hair is falling out too. Not sure if a dude with a skullet giving you a hummer is hot ? :?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:RD also said his hair is falling out too. Not sure if a dude with a skullet giving you a hummer is hot ? :?
For Christsakes, learn to read before you post.

I said it was the other way around
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vader wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:RD also said his hair is falling out too. Not sure if a dude with a skullet giving you a hummer is hot ? :?

Speaking of getting things "straight".... good luck with that? :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Strangelove wrote:
Vader wrote:

Speaking of getting things "straight".... good luck with that? :look:
I thought you wanted to lay off the "inside" jokes