Itunes confusion???

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Itunes confusion???

Post by ODB »

Most of you might remember me as a blackberry fan boy. During my long CC absence I made the move to the dark side. I'm now a full on Apple Whore.

I have an iTunes question I thought perhaps one of you may know the answer too. For what I've used iTunes for it's always been pretty simple. I buy or rent movies (music apps ect) through iTunes using my pc and use Apple TV to watch... One of the great things about Apple products is how seamlessly everything communicates together.

So the thing I'm not sure about is I also have a 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina. I'm going on a holiday in while and instead of using the crap displays on the plane I want to use the MacBook. I planned on renting four or five movies. I rented a movie recently and it wasn't available on the MacBook? The MacBook has been authorized in iTunes and I have turned on home sharing. Any idea why my music and purchased movies would show up on the MacBook but rented movies don't? And what happens when I'm on the plane out of home sharing range and with no internet access to connect to the cloud? Do rented movies have to be downloaded using iTunes on the Macbook or can I still rent using my pc (or iPhone, iPad or Apple tv for that matter)? I'm a little confused about how that works. If I rent/purchase using my phone can I access the purchase on any authorized device or do I need to do something to make that work???
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Itunes confusion???

Post by ODB »

OMG I suck! This is what happens when you take a year hiatus? Wrong Forum!!!

Rats can you move this to the grill?
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Jobs bitch is more like it! :evil: I was a Mac fanboy since before your wife was peg'n you and now the whole Apple faggotry makes me sick.

Literarily, I want to puke every time I go by an Apple store....consumer hell....I went Open Source and Android and so should you...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Arachnid wrote:Literarily, I want to puke every time I go by an Apple store.
The boys from Brazil is what I thought when I first saw an Apple Store.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Arachnid wrote:Jobs bitch is more like it! :evil: I was a Mac fanboy since before your wife was peg'n you and now the whole Apple faggotry makes me sick.

Literarily, I want to puke every time I go by an Apple store....consumer hell....I went Open Source and Android and so should you...
Of course you did Spidey, of course youd did... :drink:
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Anywho I think I figured out whats going on. I changed my DNS server recently so I can get the American Netflix. I bet it's messing with with my Itunes. I'm going to play with it tonight and my guess is everthing will show up as it should.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I've never rented movies from iTunes so I can't really be of help. How does that work exactly? Do you have the movie on your iTunes for so long and then they automatically take it away, or do you have to send it back?

We've rented a couple movies from that RedBox thing in WalMart. $2.00 a movie.

What's the cost to rent from iTunes and hows the quality?
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Is the Itunes account on your Macbook the same as the one on your home PC? If they are different you cannot transfer purchases between accounts IIRC.

Download Handbrake and borrow movies from a buddy who has to buy them and load them on your MB or Ipad.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Aaronp18 wrote:I've never rented movies from iTunes so I can't really be of help. How does that work exactly? Do you have the movie on your iTunes for so long and then they automatically take it away, or do you have to send it back?

iTunes works pretty slick for renting movies. They're 5.99 to rent in HD (same as bluray at Rogers/Blockbuster before they closed). Once you download it you have 30 days to watch the movie. It will show up in your movies along with any flicks you own. If you have Apple TV (I'd recommend it if you don't) all you have to do is click on your movies and it will be there. Watch on your TV in your family room. Apple TV is only 109 and they kick ass. Sink up with your iPhone and iPad like butter. Once you start watching you have 24 hours to finish. After the 24 hours it's just gone. Nothing to send back. Finish watching and forger about it. I have 10 mb download on my internet and a HD movie takes a few hours. Slower speeds can take 8hrs so plan ahead if you have slower high speed.

Pete, ya it's the same account and I figured out why I was having issues. I changed my DSN in my router so it would appear in the USA so I have access to the US netflix. It was fucking up my iTunes downloads. iTunes Canada and iTunes USA are different so it wouldn't upload my iTunes Canada downloads to what it thought was an American computer. Once I changed the DNS back to automatic my movies appeared. I actually have it working now that I get the US netflix and it wont interfere with my iTunes.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ODB wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Jobs bitch is more like it! :evil: I was a Mac fanboy since before your wife was peg'n you and now the whole Apple faggotry makes me sick.

Of course you did Spidey, of course youd did... :drink:
Oh....Fack off OD tampon! :evil:

Hey, just picked up a new BenQ 1080P 3D projector, awesome picture, I still got the biggest baddest home theatre on CC :mrgreen:

I have to add a new video card to my hacked Apple TV First Generation to get 1080P off it but I love projects like that.

Good times, it's gonna be a long winter (14 tomorrow here :wow: ) without hockey if we are solidarity brothas and boycott the BHL (Buttman Hokey League) I wanna watch some good flicks on the big screen....

:wave:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ODB wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:I've never rented movies from iTunes so I can't really be of help. How does that work exactly? Do you have the movie on your iTunes for so long and then they automatically take it away, or do you have to send it back?

iTunes works pretty slick for renting movies. They're 5.99 to rent in HD (same as bluray at Rogers/Blockbuster before they closed). Once you download it you have 30 days to watch the movie. It will show up in your movies along with any flicks you own. If you have Apple TV (I'd recommend it if you don't) all you have to do is click on your movies and it will be there. Watch on your TV in your family room. Apple TV is only 109 and they kick ass. Sink up with your iPhone and iPad like butter. Once you start watching you have 24 hours to finish. After the 24 hours it's just gone. Nothing to send back. Finish watching and forger about it. I have 10 mb download on my internet and a HD movie takes a few hours. Slower speeds can take 8hrs so plan ahead if you have slower high speed.

Pete, ya it's the same account and I figured out why I was having issues. I changed my DSN in my router so it would appear in the USA so I have access to the US netflix. It was fucking up my iTunes downloads. iTunes Canada and iTunes USA are different so it wouldn't upload my iTunes Canada downloads to what it thought was an American computer. Once I changed the DNS back to automatic my movies appeared. I actually have it working now that I get the US netflix and it wont interfere with my iTunes.
I'd run a speed test online and then I would be checking with my ISP if were you ODB. If you have 10 mb DL for internet you should be downloading HD movies in well under a FEW hours. The average HD movie is between 4 and 6 GB in size (unless you are getting special features too). That should take between 400 and 600 seconds to download at 10MB/S. That's 6-10 minutes. Allowing for some variance in speed etc you shouldn't be waiting more than 30 minutes for a movie to show up. I routinely download HD movies in under an hour, some in 10-15 minutes. I have 15 mb internet through Telus and usually get between 10.5 and 13.5 for DL speed.

All I'm saying is that if you're paying for 10 meg and are getting download speeds that sound closer to 3 meg.....well your ISP is blowing smoke up your ass and you should go after them for some better service and free shit.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Mëds wrote:
ODB wrote:

I'd run a speed test online and then I would be checking with my ISP if were you ODB. If you have 10 mb DL for internet you should be downloading HD movies in well under a FEW hours. The average HD movie is between 4 and 6 GB in size (unless you are getting special features too). That should take between 400 and 600 seconds to download at 10MB/S. That's 6-10 minutes. Allowing for some variance in speed etc you shouldn't be waiting more than 30 minutes for a movie to show up. I routinely download HD movies in under an hour, some in 10-15 minutes. I have 15 mb internet through Telus and usually get between 10.5 and 13.5 for DL speed.

All I'm saying is that if you're paying for 10 meg and are getting download speeds that sound closer to 3 meg.....well your ISP is blowing smoke up your ass and you should go after them for some better service and free shit.
Hummm funny you should bring this up. I've run multiple speed tests and they all say I'm getting 10mb??? Yet when I'm downloading off iTunes bitmeter shows me getting between 2 and 3? I've also used an app on my phone and ipad and they say I'm getting 10 over my wifi. I called sasktel they tested and said everything is working as it should be. They said my DL speeds are affected by apples upload. I don't know if I should buy that shit but I was told if I download off iTunes during peek hours it doesn't matter how fast things are at my end as the bottleneck happens on their end???

Ahhh I get really good looking HD on netflix and that was the reason I upped my speeds in the first place. I don't generally need a movie in 20 min anyway. But I get what your saying. If your paying for it you should get it!!! Are you DLing from iTunes in 15/20 min or do you use torrent sites?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ODB wrote:Hummm funny you should bring this up. I've run multiple speed tests and they all say I'm getting 10mb??? Yet when I'm downloading off iTunes bitmeter shows me getting between 2 and 3? I've also used an app on my phone and ipad and they say I'm getting 10 over my wifi. I called sasktel they tested and said everything is working as it should be. They said my DL speeds are affected by apples upload. I don't know if I should buy that shit but I was told if I download off iTunes during peek hours it doesn't matter how fast things are at my end as the bottleneck happens on their end???

Ahhh I get really good looking HD on netflix and that was the reason I upped my speeds in the first place. I don't generally need a movie in 20 min anyway. But I get what your saying. If your paying for it you should get it!!! Are you DLing from iTunes in 15/20 min or do you use torrent sites?
I don't download much from iTunes. Music mostly, updates, apps.....shit like that. Mostly I download torrents. However, now that you mention is, I have noticed that everything I download via iTunes seems to take longer than it should.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Apple's download speed is limited by the acceleration of a bite due to gravitational forces. All from the company that brought you Newton.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.