GDT Jan 23/13 Flames VS Canucks 7PM on Splortsnet Pacific

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT Jan 23/13 Flames VS Canucks 7PM on Splortsnet Pacifi

Post by SKYO »

Aaronp18 wrote:Great game by Kassian, smarts, hands, size. Not a lot not to like about him.

Schroeder can play everyday of the week over Ebbett thanks. Not that he did a whole lot but you can see that he reads plays well and can distribute the puck, he has some offensive talent.

This game should have been a rout if not for penalties. Though I did like it when Kassian ran Kipper and there wasn't a Flame that even glanced in his direction afterwards!

Win is a win but the Canucks need to clean up their game. This will come with games and practice, not to mention getting Kesler and Booth back.

Liked Schneiders game as well, solid in the shootout for sure.
Agreed on all parts, I think with time Schroeder could improve, I really wanted him in the shootout!! AV needs to be fired from picking whose going into the shootout.

Happy to finally squeak out a win! We needed a confidence builder.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Yes, we won but we certainly miss a solid second line. Hope Kesler and Booth get back soon. The added dimension will make a huge difference. I also hope LaPierre drops a few pounds. The strength is great but it's come at the expense of speed. He needs to be more mobile. Hope this is the beginning of better days for Mason Raymond. Even psychologically, the further removed he is from the broken back, the better.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

With play like that the past two games Zack is no longer Gassian! He looks like he belongs this year. Early days but happy for the kid. I love his enthusiasm too. The best part? Finally a player other fans won't accuse of being a diver :D :D

Our D' has yet to gel. Still looking like a work in progress for the pairs to gel. Ballard had a decent game tonight but in this yet early season he hasn't impressed as much as I would like.

Great to get the win but we need to be better at holding these two goal leads.

Good thing our Division has teams like Calgary, Edmonton and the Avs.
The only HW the Canucks need
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Can we safely call that Kassian's best game as a Canuck? Kipper still can't find his strap.
That or the last one.....he had a good game last season against the Sabres too. You can see the potential there with this kid. I don't want to say he is another Bertuzzi because although the kid has good hands, Todd was really gifted. However Kassian is tougher and has a better shot than Bert and he actually comes back in his own end occasionally as well.
Couldn't help but think of old Bert tonight. Kass should switch to 44 ASAP....22-33-44.

Though I agree that Bert may have slicker hands while Kass' game seems much simpler. What blows me away about him is only a few shifts with the twins and already gets their game and knows how to compliment it. He gets their cycle game, understands the flow of it and seems to know how to keep it going by using his body to shield pucks along the wall and spins off when need be. What I particularly liked was he didn't try to force plays with the twins down low when there wasn't any and made simple poised passes to pointmen. He simply gets it. Something Bert was never able to do whenever he was put on that line. Plus he's a righty and does appear to have a better shot.

Man I hope this isn't a tease and they stick together because he could, should be the perfect triplet. Think of the room the twins should get, think of Marchand trying to speed bag em now...
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Best thing about Schroeder in the lineup is he's potential sweetener for a better Luongo deal.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Kassian was a beast again tonight. Loved his game. He looks for hits, but doesn't take himself out of the play chasing them. He goes to the net.....HARD. I was more than OK with his penalty for goaltender interference. Finally the Canucks have someone who is willing to crash the crease after the puck and to hell with the consequences. How often have we seen our goaltenders get runover and nothing happens? Fine by me now, we'll just respond in kind. Opponent's goaltenders now have to be more wary when the Canucks come calling on offense. His goal was a beauty, he set it up himself, then stayed on the puck and didn't quit. His shootout winner was awesome, Kipper looked like Luongo out there, Kassian can skate, his footwork is there that's for sure.....what sold that deke was his little Datsyukian shuffle as he faked forehand.

Schneider was soft on one goal and looked surprised a few times out there, but he was solid. Everything that beat him was post and in, essentially perfect shots. He was great in the shootout, younger goalies seem to be more patient and really I think that Schneider forces shooters to deke or take a low percentage shot because he makes himself much bigger in net than Luongo does.

I really hope Edler finds his game fast. $5M is a bargain for him, but only if he plays to his potential. Lots of turnovers and misreads tonight for him.

Garrison is looking like a good signing. He contributes all over the ice, and I really hope that Edler, Hamhuis, and Bieksa, will take lessons from him on how to keep the puck in at the point and handle passes that aren't quite perfect.

Our fourth line was brutal. They generated nothing and were often playing most of the time in our end.

Raymond had a very good game, this is what he needs to bring.

Vigneault is just a hack at picking shooters. He also seems to have lost what ever motivating qualities he used to possess, the whole team outside of Kassian, Sedins, Burrows, Weise, Garrison, and Raymond, looked asleep out there for most of the night. There is no urgency, no cohesive play, it's like they are just going through the motions. I mean, let's face it, Calgary sucks. They looked amateur out there tonight, but we couldn't steamroll them with the lineup we have? It was like once we were up 2 we let off the gas a bit. This has to be coaching, Vigneault's stupid respect the opponent and don't embarrass them philosophy.....you know, the one that is never reciprocated.

The officiating was alright for half the game, but it seemed like once Calgary was looking out of it and down 2 goals the refs decided to give them a chance to stay in it. I didn't know until just now about this "new rule" for closing your hand on the puck.....Edler sure didn't close his hand on it, he simply scooped it backwards to the side boards, wasn't even a hand pass, and he didn't take it off of a Calgary player's stick, just cleared it after he had been knocked down. Then Bieksa's cross-check.....that was soft. Since when is punishing the guys who crash your goalie worthy of 2 minutes? I mean outside of two-handing a guy or fighting. The tying goal was a joke. Canucks up the ice 3 on 2 shorthanded and suddenly the Flames line change is screwed up and they have 7 guys on the ice and are back checking before the other players are off. No call. 10 seconds later it's in our net. Bullshit. Total bush league. Then the third period was not too bad again. The inconsistencies are staggering already in this young season.

There were a few guys who stood out tonight in a negative way for us.....

Higgins was a floater, at one point he was even letting Jay Bouwmeester push him off the puck with one arm.

Malhotra seems lost, can't make a good play.

Edler was pretty weak tonight. Not terrible, but certainly not even playing his B game.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Does Malhotra not have the biggest fucking leash this team has seen since it's inception? AV's love affair with Manny is amazing. Malhotra's Trevor Linden good guy schtick with the community, fans and liked by his teammates, coach and MGMT will only get him so far. It's time he start earning his fucking keep. The guy should be playing for the Wolves not the Canucks. Useless.

I think it's time we Canuck fans start doing our job and get going with the Boo Birds every time Manny touches the puck.

Fantastic game by Raymond, the guy can stick handle in a phone booth, made a play with the puck every time he touched, doesn't give up puck possession easy, looked hungry, sees the ice as good as anyone in the league and isn't a liability in our zone. What's not to like.

Garrison, although I like, but I see him becoming the new Sopel, Lidster, Lumme, Mitchell king of the boneheaded plays.

Higgins proved last night why he is a well travelled journeyman for such a young man. Useless. Another one of AV's favorites, can't do no wrong. AV should be coaching the Flames since that teams love the 3rd line middling/meh journeyman role players.

What can I say about my boy Kassian? Have I not been preaching patience with this kid or what??? Me and Blobby Mac have been vouching for this kid all year. If he can play this consistent and look this good with the Sedins? Ain't nobody gonna mess with Hank and Dank no more and it also improves our 2nd line by dropping Burrows down.

Loved the way Schroeder looked last night, a very heads up player, great wheels, plays with a bit of an edge, looks strong on his skates and doesn't mind using the body, and isn't afraid of the dirty areas or taking a hit.

I actually didn't mind Weise last night and I like that line. If Weise doesn't fight anymore and plays like that I will be happy.

Not a bad game for the 3rd pairing last night as well, in Ballard and Tanev.

Good effort all around

WHY THE FUCK is AV still our coach?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

RoyalDude wrote:What can I say about my boy Kassian? Have I not been preaching patience with this kid or what??? Me and Blobby Mac have been vouching for this kid all year. If he can play this consistent and look this good with the Sedins? Ain't nobody gonna mess with Hank and Dank no more and it also improves our 2nd line by dropping Burrows down.
:D

You and Mëds should probably wait until the "pre-season" is over and some of the dormant players have shaken off the rust before you start in on AV --- some of his players are a little sluggish right now.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Kass loked good and I hope we keep the Schroeder for a while to see what he can bring. Burrows did ok at Center but some of the posts are bang on. Too many floaters out there. I wish they would bring up the Archibald kid and give him a shot on the fourth line.

On another note, Lupul breaking his arm? Talk about shit luck for Maple Leaf Nation. At some point don't they have to catch a break besides Lupul's arm?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

On another note, Lupul breaking his arm? Talk about shit luck for Maple Leaf Nation. At some point don't they have to catch a break besides Lupul's arm?
ahhh...no :evil:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Canucks looked good at times and downright ghastly at other times but wtf a win is a win I guess.
In what should really be a preseason game, take the 2 points and don't read much into anything on the ice. And yes, that includes Kassian, who is one of the few guys that has played meaningful hockey prior to this week. At the very least, its a great confidence builder for him and will keep the fans and media focused on something else to complain/worry about.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

I have to agree with you guys here. I am pleased with Kassian's play over the last couple games and really hope that his confidence continues build along with his skills. Playing with Hank and Daniel can only help develop him. Something else I noticed was that he appears to be having fun. I know at this level some people have a very business minded approach to the game but this kid strikes me as someone who really does well when he is having fun and is loving the game.

I still think our defensive coverage is pretty mediocre. The guys are still shaking off the rust it seems. Hope they get going soon cause there are some teams that seem to be showing no rust at all.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I found Schroeders' play very encouraging. He skates as good as anyone on the team, he hits and absorbs hits like a vet, he goes to the dirty areas and is actually pretty solid in his own end. I honestly expected a much softer game than I saw from him and I've been watching him quite a bit this year in Chicago. Whether it's just adrenalin for his first game or what I don't care but he stood out with MayRay as a bright spot on the team.

Cyclops Malhotra should hang 'em up. The injury has ruined him and it's sad but not in the best interests of the Canucks to keep him in the line up.

Kassian...what can I say that hasn't been said already. Great game and is starting to become our best forward.

The entire defense needs to hit reset. Everyone has sucked this year and I'm sure it's just a result of 9 months off. The new guy (Garrison) also is suffering from the yips. I'm not worried that much about any of them except maybe Ballard as he always looks like he's in pre-season form.

The Schneid was good....enough. He is a shootout ace which helped.

Sedins are in pre-season form. Not worried as they'll show up properly in a week or so.

If I was a Flames fan I'd be licking my chops about the draft. Not much else to like and they'll be looking for a top 5 pick I reckon.
If you need air...call it in
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Southern_Canuck wrote: You and Mëds should probably wait until the "pre-season" is over and some of the dormant players have shaken off the rust before you start in on AV --- some of his players are a little sluggish right now.
You may be right, but what is his defense against mailing in shootout choices? Because that's not player rust, it's the coaches decision. Why in holy hell would you pick Danny Sedin over Kassian? That's not just a bad choice to me, it's a coach that's saying "I don't really think when I pick players for the shootout." Because Vigneault doesn't really care for the shootout, or something, I don't know. Any coach that leaves points on the table should be fired.

When I look at this team, who should in no way be even comparable to that Flames squad we saw last night, I see too many players who look "comfortable". When the players get too comfortable, you fire the coach, IMO. If things go sour in Detroit and Mike Babcock gets canned, and I wouldn't be surprised if that happens in the near future, I'd take a serious look at making a move to replace Vigneault.

I actually like Vigneault for the most part, I only say it because he's been the Vancouver coach for 6 seasons now and I think the players would benefit from a shake up. Same way I felt about Crawford near the end of his tenure.

Probably following a win is the wrong time to bring it up, but if the Canucks struggle this regular season, I'd consider the option. The attitude that I infer from Vigneault, that he just doesn't care about the shootout, just pisses me off to be honest.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:Best thing about Schroeder in the lineup is he's potential sweetener for a better Luongo deal.
I was thinking that about Tanev, actually.