So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 234
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Nuckertuzzi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:15 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:Interesting night for potential Luongo destination teams...
Philly, Florida and even Washington looking at shaky goaltending.
Is it a perfect scenario for us? You-betcha!!

Did ya see Dubnyk tonight?...now we just need the Pens to light up T.O. and we may see the potential benefits of waiting. It's a gamble either way with the distraction it's causing on the team and our two tenders. Just hope some of these teams will get desperate sooner than later and get bidding.
Last edited by Nuckertuzzi on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by BurningBeard » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:18 am

Meds wrote:Apparently Bob McKenzie has said on TSN radio that it is looking like Edmonton or Chicago is the mystery team. Not sure who the Oilers have that they would have to do something with so it can't be them.....also don't think Lou would go to Coiltown. Also don't have a clue who we would be getting back from the Hawks.
I find the prospect of trading Luongo within the Western conference to be unlikely, but the idea of trading him to a divisional rival is truly insane. That isn't going to happen unless Tambellini is throwing away core players. Even trading him to Chicago would be pretty messed up for both fan bases.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9663
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Topper » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:16 am

Bryz interviewed hourly by the Toronto media.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5872
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Meds » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:47 am

Groovypippin wrote:With speculation going into high gear, I am going to make a bold, insane and therefore entirely plausible prediction

To Washington
Luongo + Ballard + 1st in 2013 and 2014

To Vancouver
Ovechkin

:wow: :devil:
LMAO!!! I love it. Throw in Raymond too.

Or....

Currently Washington has $6.3M available cal and Vancouver has $840K.

Bear in mind that Washington is projected to have $20.4M in cap space for next year and Vancouver is projected to have $3.8M.

To Washington
Luongo $5.3M
Higgins $1.9M UFA
Ballard $4.2M thru 2015
2nd

$11.4M now $9.5M next season.

To Vancouver
Brouwer $2.3M then $3.6M (2013-2016)
Tom Poti $2.8M UFA
Neuvirth $1.1M RFA
1st, 3rd

$5.2M now $3.6M plus next season depending on Neuvirth.


I really like Brouwer for a few reasons. One, he's a 20 goal scorer who also brings you 250 hits. Two, he can contribute more offensively given the opportunity, just see what he did in Moose Jaw in the Dub. Three, he's a homegrown BC talent from Vancouver. Four, he isn't afraid of going to the dirty scoring areas where we so desperately need toughness right now. He was 7th in the league among forwards for hits last year, and above him only Dustin Brown and Ryan Callahan put up more goals, and Brouwer isn't given the same offensive minutes as those two.
Last edited by Meds on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5872
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Meds » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:57 am

Carrying in with the ridiculous.....

To Vancouver
Kane $6.3M
Oduya $3.4M

$9.7M total.

To Chicago
Luongo $5.3M
Ballard $4.2M
Raymond $2.2M + 2nd. Or just a 1st and a 3rd and MayRay stays.

$11.7M or $9.5M total.

CrzyCanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 910
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:19 am

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by CrzyCanuck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:24 am

maybe the mystery trading partner IS a mystery, or fictional

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All about mind games
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 am

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Boston Canucker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:24 am

Meds wrote:Carrying in with the ridiculous.....

To Vancouver
Kane $6.3M
Oduya $3.4M

$9.7M total.

To Chicago
Luongo $5.3M
Ballard $4.2M
Raymond $2.2M + 2nd. Or just a 1st and a 3rd and MayRay stays.

$11.7M or $9.5M total.
Last summer I thought if there was one crazy, so crazy it might work deal, it was Luongo for Kane. Both teams trade their problems (in Kane's case, off ice behavior and a tepid year last year), fill clear needs, and the cap hits are not far off. If the Hawks and Crawford had started off really poorly, maybe, still a longshot, but they're rolling off the bat.

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by dbr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:15 am

From a long term perspective, I don't want a player whose next deal is going to be a UFA contract, unless that player is so good you change the direction of your franchise to accomodate him (Pat Kane for example, although why the Hawks move him I don't know).

A guy like Brouwer would be useful here to be sure, but at $3.6m right when the Canucks are facing a cap crunch you are either going to be going with all rookies and bargain bin players outside of your top six, or he is going to cost you a David Booth or an Alex Burrows.. which means you're not making a substantial upgrade.

As for teams like Winnipeg, Edmonton etc.. I can't see Lou waiving to go to a bad team that is also no closer to where he undoubtedly wants to be.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3791
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:48 am

So then it is all just MG playing with the media.

I love the local guys and how they go on and on about having teh 2 goalies is a circus and a distraction to the team. The part that really pisses me off is that it is the local media that is creating the problem. I mean other than someone like RD, normal fans do not think 24/7 about the Canucks and if there is a goalie issue in Vancouver.

The media creates the issue, complains about the issue, writes about the issues, talks endlessly about the issue, tells everyone that it is all fans care about and then when called on it, they say it is their job to report. Some days it is better to turn the radio off than listen to 1040. Chapman should go back to just writing for the Province.

I would love for Schneider/Luongo just to start ignoring any question directed to them about the "goalie" issue.

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by dbr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:58 am

Reefer2 wrote:The part that really pisses me off is that it is the local media that is creating the problem.
What problem?

Until our goaltenders play starts suffering because they can't take a few (repetitive, annoying) questions from reporters, there is no problem.

Well, beyond the problem of the sports 'journalists' in this town being a bunch of lazy hacks. That one is very much on the local media.

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 am

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Boston Canucker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:06 am

Reefer2 wrote:So then it is all just MG playing with the media.

I love the local guys and how they go on and on about having teh 2 goalies is a circus and a distraction to the team. The part that really pisses me off is that it is the local media that is creating the problem. I mean other than someone like RD, normal fans do not think 24/7 about the Canucks and if there is a goalie issue in Vancouver.

The media creates the issue, complains about the issue, writes about the issues, talks endlessly about the issue, tells everyone that it is all fans care about and then when called on it, they say it is their job to report. Some days it is better to turn the radio off than listen to 1040. Chapman should go back to just writing for the Province.

I would love for Schneider/Luongo just to start ignoring any question directed to them about the "goalie" issue.
When is the media frenzy around the Canucks not a circus? If/when Luongo is traded we all know there will be another 'circus topic'. I don't even mean this as criticism, it speaks to how central the Canucks are to Vancouver, but it also means that the team is more than used to all the attention, questions, etc. As Roseanne Rosanadana used to say "If it ain't one thing, it's another"

cjc
CC Veteran
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:44 am

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by cjc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:01 am

Gillis' "candour" could be a tactic to pressure the main target, T.O. I also doubt you'll hear anything significant from Luongo. I don't think he'll offer up tidbits about his NTC because he's probably sick of being hounded by the media. Letting Gillis handle it is so much easier. He still has games to play, apparently, and until Schneider proves opening night was just the jitters I don't think Gillis will be in any hurry to move him.

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by wafflecombine » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:18 am

I kinda have to disagree on Lou to TO now. They really don't have pieces we need. Also, they are unwilling to give up anything decent from all reports so unless we are trading Lou for a slew of draft picks.... I am not convinced.

I like the thoughts about Washington and Ovi just cause they are so outlandish they make me grin... but realistically where the hell do you play him? We just don't have the depth to create two #1 lines. :) but its a nice dream.

who knows... all will be revealed when Gillis finally lets us in on whatever deal he has in the mix.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9663
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Topper » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:58 am

Whether true or not GMMG's comments do two positive things.
1 - They deflect the discussion away from the two goaltenders and back onto GMMG.

2 - He's fucking with the reporters minds by getting them off their Nonis/GMMG track and making them do their own homework.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 234
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Nuckertuzzi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Boston Canucker wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:So then it is all just MG playing with the media.

I love the local guys and how they go on and on about having teh 2 goalies is a circus and a distraction to the team. The part that really pisses me off is that it is the local media that is creating the problem. I mean other than someone like RD, normal fans do not think 24/7 about the Canucks and if there is a goalie issue in Vancouver.

The media creates the issue, complains about the issue, writes about the issues, talks endlessly about the issue, tells everyone that it is all fans care about and then when called on it, they say it is their job to report. Some days it is better to turn the radio off than listen to 1040. Chapman should go back to just writing for the Province.

I would love for Schneider/Luongo just to start ignoring any question directed to them about the "goalie" issue.
When is the media frenzy around the Canucks not a circus? If/when Luongo is traded we all know there will be another 'circus topic'. I don't even mean this as criticism, it speaks to how central the Canucks are to Vancouver, but it also means that the team is more than used to all the attention, questions, etc. As Roseanne Rosanadana used to say "If it ain't one thing, it's another"


Sigh....

Remember the good old days when only half the sched was televised?....when Dan Russell was the only call-in sportstalk radio show in town that only broadcast a couple hours a night?....when there wasn't a TSN or a TSN2, Sportsnet, SN1, SN Ontario, Pacific, West, Africa..etc, etc...and Hockey 2Nite, Hockey Central, That's Hockey, and all those hot stove panel discussion shows on every half hour??...

The irony is Pat Quinn was running the show back then and he was far and away the most tight-lipped GM we've ever had. He was always so guarded against perpetuating a circus frenzy like the way it is today. Though I remember the Nedved situation wasn't exactly a backburner topic back in those days, but can you imagine what a soap opera that would've been today....guess we're kinda seeing it now.

Post Reply