So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

LOL the mongoloids have a two page thread about Gillis popping off to Cam Cole. They seem pretty angry about it.

Just posturing from Old Luggage Eyes. Me wonders if the Islanders could be the mystery team if there is any truth to this.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Totally agreed. Unlike previous trades, everyone knows that Luongo wants out.[/quote]

Gillis uses the media to his advantage - he had everybody well aware of his offer to Sundin a few years back and that worked out. He's a smart man who knows how to leverage a situation. That's exactly what he is doing here.
jackalman
CC Veteran

Post by jackalman »

I'm working up north in alberta. My buddy just sent me a text that he seen on tv a rumor of a possible 5 player trade between van and philly. Anyone else hear anything about this. He gave no details and said that it's not sure thing but that is what was said on whatever he was watching.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

I'm sure Ed Snider "loves" the lockout even more now. Lower salary cap next year + compliance buyout = $50 million thrown in the garbage.

Can you imagine that kind of buyout??...doubt it'll ever happen but how else can the Flyers get Luongo if they do indeed want him? Unbelievable the ramifications of this lockout on certain wealthy teams (including ours?). We won't fully see it until the summer..can hardly wait. Nice job, owners.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

jackalman wrote:I'm working up north in alberta. My buddy just sent me a text that he seen on tv a rumor of a possible 5 player trade between van and philly. Anyone else hear anything about this. He gave no details and said that it's not sure thing but that is what was said on whatever he was watching.
Entering the realm of speculation, there are four "other player situations" that I can think of:

1. PK Subban and his RFA status - Luongo would probably love to play for the Habs, but the only way this works is with a third team involved to offer a huge trade for Price. Price has a hefty $6.5 million contract, but could command a lot from a team that wants a younger up-and-coming goalie as opposed to an established vet like Luongo.

2. Jamie Benn and his RFA status - again would be odd without a third team involved, as Lehtonen's $5.9 mil contract kicks in next year.

3. Philadelphia and buyout - I don't know the cap in-and-outs, but a problem for Philly adding salary in goal is that its not "replacement player" for Pronger, meaning they can't exceed the cap by Pronger's cap amount. I thought maybe they were waiting for Pronger to announce retirement to save themselves the cap hit, but I don't think anything changed in relation to age 35+ contracts so that can't be it. Also, if I'm not mistaken they can't buy out a player on IR...maybe they think Pronger can get medically cleared for a day and buy him out? Or, Philly is considering buying out Bryzgalov, though I doubt it.

4. NYI and Visnovsky - I thought maybe they'd have trouble getting to the floor if Visnovsky remains suspended, but they are $6 mil over the floor right now...maybe they will have payroll issues if they end up having to pay Visnovsky?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

5. Pittsburgh and Fleury? Seems highly unlikely to me, but maybe they want an upgrade in goal after the horrific performance during last years playoffs? Not sure if Luongo is the goalie I'd replace my starter with in an effort to reduce playoff meltdowns. ;)
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Man timing always sucks with the Canucks. Why couldn't the Flyers wait one more year before they finally decide to make a big move in goal?...or why couldn't we find out a year earlier that we're going to trade Luongo in favor of Scneids? Look at the parts the Flyers had and were obviously willing to move: Richards, Carter, Van Reimsdyk... They've still got a lot of good parts but now we've got that damn Bryzgalov contract in the way. That's the ideal trading partner....god damn timing!
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

BurningBeard wrote:5. Pittsburgh and Fleury? Seems highly unlikely to me, but maybe they want an upgrade in goal after the horrific performance during last years playoffs?
I thought the same thing.

BurningBeard wrote:Not sure if Luongo is the goalie I'd replace my starter with in an effort to reduce playoff meltdowns. ;)
I thought the same thing.

...rather stick with the guy I actually won a Cup with.

Shit you can almost say the same with Bryzgalov, minus the Cup part of course. But no definitely I give the edge to Lu there..I'd take his meltdowns over Bryz's..at least Lu's good for a few games between the meltdowns.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Didn't Aquafish fire Dave Fish Taco Nonis for not selling the farm for Ollie Jokinen? How does Gillfish get away so long ruling the roost at Orca Bay with zero activity on the trade front. Hands down the most boring GM this city has since Phil Maloney. Was Phil Maloney a GM?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ya just know it's not a good thing if Mr. Calm, Cool and Collective Gillis is showing his cards to the media. Just not like him. That tells me that he is desperate and frustrated. Unfortunately, trade posturing through the media doesn't work. Burke has been doing this schtick for years and look where it's gotten him. Something tells me that Gillis might be a little stressed and out of sorts.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: That tells me that he is desperate and frustrated.
Dude if YOU weren't so desperate and frustrated, you wouldn't keep trying to colour Gillis as desperate and frustrated.

Gillis is your polar opposite when it comes to desperation and frustration.

wait... OMG... he's banging your wife RIGHT NOW isn't he? :mex:
Last edited by Strangelove on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

The only team that makes sense as the mystery team, IMO, is Chicago.

Philly has cap space with Pronger being injured and the only option is to buy out Bryz in the summer because I highly doubt anyone takes that contract. As the old rumor said, if Philly gets Luo they'll go with both goalies this year and sort it out next. Other than Bryz I don't see a contract Philly would be looking to move considering the state of their defense. While their forward core is deep, if they're giving up a player for Luongo, then sending Briere out to make space doesn't make sense.

I look at Washington's roster, and I don't see a player they're eager to move other than maybe Joel Ward, but they liked him last year and need the botom 6 depth.

This brings me to Chicago, a team that only has $4M of cap space for next season with 18 players under contract. The Hawks have a deep defense and Nicklas Hjalmarson has been rumored to be on the block for a while now. If they clear his salary, then they can add Luongo and probably won't have trouble moving Crawford and his $2.6M cap hit for next year in the summer.

If it is Chicago, I doubt Bolland is coming the other way because he'd be the biggest piece in the deal and he has a $3.3M cap hit for this year and next, and the team would have to pay more to extend him. I get the sense MG wants cap relief for next year and a very good young player/prospect. I would expect the Canucks to be getting something like Saad and Krueger or Stalbarg with some sort of pick depending on the package.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Me wonders if the Islanders could be the mystery team if there is any truth to this.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html

:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Reefer2 wrote: Have I missed anything or why is Tampa not in the picture?
Yes and run "Lindback" through the search engine good buddy. :thumbs:
You mean the goalie that has played a total of 40 NHL games, drafted 7th round and has a 2.58 GAA and a 0.913 SV%?

You still didn't answer the question :thumbs:
The search engine would tell you that The Great Strangelove LOLed at Stevie's choice in Lindback good buddy! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is Niederreiter a head case? Requesting a trade at his young age??? Hmmmm...I wonder if Gatling Gun Grabner is available?