So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Strangelove » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Reefer2 wrote:Have I missed anything or why is Tampa not in the picture?

Yes and run "Lindback" through the search engine good buddy. :thumbs:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby ukcanuck » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 am

Boston Canucker wrote:
SKYO wrote:I like the Keith Jones analogy on NBC sports regarding Lu/Schneider.

"It's similar to the Brett Favre - Aaron Rodgers situation, move Favre, Rodgers takes over and wins the Superbowl.

As it just takes away all the conflict and whirlwind stories the media loves to conjure up.

Ultimately it lets Schneider know, no matter what, he's the #1 go to guy.

Yes, but they also know nothing - unsurprisingly - of the relationship between the two goalies. The other guy's comment about Luongo putting the knife in was stupid, uninformed, since Lou actually verbally backed up CS and by all accounts has been supportive of him. And Milbury's blaming AV for pulling him was typical wingnut city. Gillis can't tell the coach Luongo will be on the bench but you can't put him in...stupid. The game was lost anyway, but pulling CS was quite understandable.

OMG, does that fuck Milbury still have a soapbox??? he can go fuck himself...seriously...
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Reefer2 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:05 am

Strangelove wrote:

You mean the goalie that has played a total of 40 NHL games, drafted 7th round and has a 2.58 GAA and a 0.913 SV%?

You still didn't answer the question :thumbs:
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby dbr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:26 am

Reefer2 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

You mean the goalie that has played a total of 40 NHL games, drafted 7th round and has a 2.58 GAA and a 0.913 SV%?

You still didn't answer the question :thumbs:

Stevie Y sees him differently than you, me, and pretty much everyone else I guess.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 am

A bit out of touch with Tampa and Brett Connolly's progress but I don't see him the Lightnings line-up, did they send him back to the AHL?

I was hipped to the idea that if we do a trade with Tampa that Connolly be part of the package coming this way but not so sure about that now.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby dbr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 am

So I don't know if this is taken out of context but TSN.ca is running a story in which they quote Gillis saying there is a potential deal in place, pending a mystery trade partner making a move with another one of their players.

This seems really out of character to me, I don't know if Gillis has just decided to throw this out in public for the hell of it or if the story is blowing some off-hand remark way out of proportion but something doesn't sit right.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Diehard1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:53 am

dbr wrote:So I don't know if this is taken out of context but TSN.ca is running a story in which they quote Gillis saying there is a potential deal in place, pending a mystery trade partner making a move with another one of their players.

This seems really out of character to me, I don't know if Gillis has just decided to throw this out in public for the hell of it or if the story is blowing some off-hand remark way out of proportion but something doesn't sit right.

This is what we've been talking about - I'd love to read the whole transcript but it sounds like exactly what TSN is saying, there's a deal on the table that Gillis likes but the other team has to do something first. Whether this is a trade, clearing cap space or what I don't know.

My guess is it's Philly, they don't have the cap room to take Lu and don't have any bad contracts to dump in return aside from Bryzgalov (not happening) and Pronger (they're stuck with that too). That's simply a guess though.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby dbr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:57 am

Right, of course.

Anyway I reiterate my .. befuddledness. I can't think of any other occasion on which Mike Gillis has disclosed anything even close to specific details about trade negotiations in public.

(Of course the Luongo situation is obviously unprecedented, but still.)
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Reefer2 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 am

dbr wrote:Right, of course.

Anyway I reiterate my .. befuddledness. I can't think of any other occasion on which Mike Gillis has disclosed anything even close to specific details about trade negotiations in public.

(Of course the Luongo situation is obviously unprecedented, but still.)

So to me Mike is either

a) a sadistic bastard who is playing the media/fans like TO did last week
b) really does have a deal and is sending a message to other teams they have a few days to get the final offer in or he is gone
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby dbr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 am

Reefer2 wrote:b) really does have a deal and is sending a message to other teams they have a few days to get the final offer in or he is gone

I've always been skeptical of this. What does floating a juicy quote to a reporter accomplish that calling up a GM and saying "look I've got an offer that should pan out in the next couple of weeks" wouldn't?

Unless he thinks there's a team or two out there where the GM does not have complete control of the bus and someone else is going to hear the story and apply some internal pressure..
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby wafflecombine » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:51 am

hard to say what the game is. If there is a deal in principle I really doubt its with Toronto cause they just don't have the pieces we need (IMO). But realistically I'm not sure who this dance partner might be. Guess we will find out in due time.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Uncle dans leg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:01 am

Florida Panthers Injury Report
Kris Versteeg 2013-01-21 on injured reserve hip surgery/groin
Sean Bergenheim 2013-01-22 undisclosed undisclosed
Marcel Goc 2013-01-22 undisclosed undisclosed
Erik Gudbranson 2013-01-22 undisclosed undisclosed

Florida wanting to see how the injuries look in a week?
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 am

I agree with Dave - not sure why Gillis would say anything. I believe that interview was conducted with Cam Cole and done last week before the season started, so who knows really.

To UDL's point:
Versteeg has a groin strain, and could be a guy that could help out the Canucks. Gudbranson is still recovering from shoulder surgery, but I doubt he'd be coming back in a Luongo trade. The injuries to Goc and Bergenheim are mysteries, but we don't need any more 3rd liners anyway.

One thing that could, I suppose, hold up a potential trade with Florida is that Theodore nas a NTC. If the Canucks didn't want him, or he didn't want to come here, than that could hold up things if Florida is looking to move him and keep Clemmensen.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:20 am

I wonder if Gillis wasn't speaking in a much broader sense (in terms of timeframe - ie. something along the lines of 'we have a potential deal with a team that needs to make a compliance buy out to clear cap space,' in other words teams are talking to MG about acquiring Luongo this summer) than people are now inferring..
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:30 am

dbr wrote:I wonder if Gillis wasn't speaking in a much broader sense (in terms of timeframe - ie. something along the lines of 'we have a potential deal with a team that needs to make a compliance buy out to clear cap space,' in other words teams are talking to MG about acquiring Luongo this summer) than people are now inferring..

As in Philly buying out Bryzgalov.

But apparently Philly does have the cap room for both so I'm not sure if thats the case.
2011..... the one that got away.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat