GDT Jan 20 - Canucks vs Oilers 6PM PST Sportsnet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT Jan 20 - Canucks vs Oilers 6PM PST Sportsnet

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:Image
Most excellent pickies! It shows exactly how bad Eager had his ass wooped
If you need air...call it in
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Image
Most excellent pickies! It shows exactly how bad Eager had his ass wooped

Love it. If he brings that every night, or at least 8/9 nights out of 10, he'll be exactly what the top 6 needs and he'll have the city eating out of his hand. If...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Boston Canucker wrote: Love it. If he brings that every night, or at least 8/9 nights out of 10, he'll be exactly what the top 6 needs and he'll have the city eating out of his hand. If...
To be honest he doesn't have to bring the full package every night, it's pretty much impossible for him to do that.

But the fact that we have a guy like that in the lineup can be a deterrent in itself.

So he steps up when liberties are taken, reminding everyone not to fuck with our stars, and he's doing his job. The rest of the time he has the ability to pitch in offensively.

If Kassian keeps his game simple he's going to be a huge asset.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Aaronp18 wrote:If Kassian keeps his game simple he's going to be a huge asset.
Exactly.

He has a simple role to play, especially if he plays lots with the Sedins. Finish his checks, go hard to the net, use that good shot of his, don't be a defensive liability, don't take stupid, lazy penalties and stick up for himself and his teammates. If he is able to put up points at a top 6 clip, well then that's just terrific.

Fighting or being a goon shouldn't be his role. He's too good a hockey player for that. If he keeps on beating up "tough guys" like Ben Eager there won't be many guys left willing to fight him, anyway.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Boston Canucker wrote:If he brings that every night, or at least 8/9 nights out of 10, he'll be exactly what the top 6 needs and he'll have the city eating out of his hand. If...
If he brings that 5 nights out of 10 we'll have won that trade hands down.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well, they didn't get beaten up the way I feared so for that I am grateful. It is painfully obvious that we do not have the depth to create a second line.

One of the things MG seems afraid of is loosing 4th liners and 8/9 D'men to waivers. He'd rather make the asset safe move and send the kids back. Me thinks its time to bring up a kid or two and see if they can bring some energy and intensity to the team.

Luongo played good enough for us to win, except in the SO. One PP goal and we win it. How many times has that been said over the last few years?

Stop playing it safe AV, shake up the lines.
The only HW the Canucks need
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

coco_canuck wrote:Other than fucking up the face of a noted NHL tough guy, albeit one with laughable sense, it pretty much tells the rest of the conference that the Canucks have a forward who can play on the top two lines and answer the bell with the opposition's toughest player.
Reminded me of how Clark Gillies made his mark early against Dave Schultz:

Not a wipeout by any means, but instead it showed that Gillies was not going to take any shit... it would be awesome if Kassian could emulate Gillies.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

coco_canuck wrote:
Other than fucking up the face of a noted NHL tough guy, albeit one with laughable sense, it pretty much tells the rest of the conference that the Canucks have a forward who can play on the top two lines and answer the bell with the opposition's toughest player.

As he continues to develop, Kassian's linemates will begin to get more and more room on the ice. This bodes well for the Sedins as they get older.
I dont have the time or patience to figure out how to pull a Strangelove word eating search, but I'm fairly sure you were all against this sort of thing last season when many were arguing for a "deterrent" on the roster. but yeah, it would be nice to have a guy who can answer the bell and stand up when the cute shit starts.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:If Kassian keeps his game simple he's going to be a huge asset.
Exactly.
He has a simple role to play, especially if he plays lots with the Sedins. Finish his checks, go hard to the net, use that good shot of his, don't be a defensive liability, don't take stupid, lazy penalties and stick up for himself and his teammates. If he is able to put up points at a top 6 clip, well then that's just terrific.
I hope AV does play Kass with the Twins a lot this season, force develop him! ZK's shot kinda sucks, but he doesn't have to be an elite sniper playing with the Twins as all he has to do is keep his stick on the ice and prepare to shoot one timers from their saucer passes.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

ukcanuck wrote: I dont have the time or patience to figure out how to pull a Strangelove word eating search, but I'm fairly sure you were all against this sort of thing last season when many were arguing for a "deterrent" on the roster. but yeah, it would be nice to have a guy who can answer the bell and stand up when the cute shit starts.
You basically don't know what the fuck you're talking about, which is nothing new.

I would like it if you would take the time and due diligence of the good old Doc and look up what I actually said.

I've stated over and over again, what the Canucks need is a tough guy who can play, because a plug skating on the 4th line does little or nothing for a team, i.e. Eager.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: ZK's shot kinda sucks
No it doesn't.

As an asside I haven't seen the Lord of the Bed Pissers today.....

Something tells me if Kassian would have not scored and/or got beaten up he would have made his presence known on this here message board.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
the Lord of the Bed Pissers
:rofl:
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

coco_canuck wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: I dont have the time or patience to figure out how to pull a Strangelove word eating search, but I'm fairly sure you were all against this sort of thing last season when many were arguing for a "deterrent" on the roster. but yeah, it would be nice to have a guy who can answer the bell and stand up when the cute shit starts.
You basically don't know what the fuck you're talking about, which is nothing new.

I would like it if you would take the time and due diligence of the good old Doc and look up what I actually said.

I've stated over and over again, what the Canucks need is a tough guy who can play, because a plug skating on the 4th line does little or nothing for a team, i.e. Eager.
To this.... I wouldn't mind seeing an a-hole who could play 10 minutes a game and be effective and handle the other teams clowns. A guy like Mike Rupp or Shawn Thornton or on D like Adam Mcquaid . I don't want to see Kassian fighting gorillas unless he needs to. I'd rather see him fight a Weber, Lucic, Iginla, Clowe etc...

Too bad we couldn't clone a younger version of Brad May. :)
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

coco_canuck wrote: I've stated over and over again, what the Canucks need is a tough guy who can play, because a plug skating on the 4th line does little or nothing for a team, i.e. Eager.
Without even searching I can vouch for this as many of us have said having a nuclear deterrent that does nothing but sit on the bench until its time to go out and fight is pointless for a contending team.

Having a guy like Kassian is far more of a deterrent than any goof like Eager. He can shot, pass and kick ass. Precisely what the Canucks have been missing since Bertuzzi.

And it's exactly why Gillis moved a possible second line centre (who was never going to reach that potential on the Canucks unless he waited until the Sedins retired) for Kassian.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: To this.... I wouldn't mind seeing an a-hole who could play 10 minutes a game and be effective and handle the other teams clowns. A guy like Mike Rupp or Shawn Thornton or on D like Adam Mcquaid . I don't want to see Kassian fighting gorillas unless he needs to. I'd rather see him fight a Weber, Lucic, Iginla, Clowe etc...

Too bad we couldn't clone a younger version of Brad May. :)
I've been wanting a 4th liner like Rupp or Thornton for a long time.

Really wanted Prust last year, much like a young Brad May but the Habs ponied up to get him, proving that tough 4th liners who can take a regular shift are rare and relatively expensive.

Another guy we talked about was Travis Moen but the Habs wanted a pretty price for him last year despite being a rental (he re-upped in Montreal).

Best bet is to draft such a player or find a young veteran you can groom.
Aaronp18 wrote: Without even searching I can vouch for this as many of us have said having a nuclear deterrent that does nothing but sit on the bench until its time to go out and fight is pointless for a contending team.

Having a guy like Kassian is far more of a deterrent than any goof like Eager. He can shot, pass and kick ass. Precisely what the Canucks have been missing since Bertuzzi.

And it's exactly why Gillis moved a possible second line centre (who was never going to reach that potential on the Canucks unless he waited until the Sedins retired) for Kassian.
Couldn't say it better myself.

But the names being bandied about the last couple of off-seasons were plug enforcers like John Scott. Many wanted a "nuclear deterrent" regardless of his ability to actually play the game.