GDT Jan 20 - Canucks vs Oilers 6PM PST Sportsnet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT Jan 20 - Canucks vs Oilers 6PM PST Sportsnet

Post by ukcanuck »

Better effort than last game, but I guess it'll be Wednesday against the lames
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Mëds wrote:Loving Kassian's game tonight.
Definitely made himself noticeable tonight. Scored one and bloodied Eager in a scrap.

Canucks find a way to kick themselves in the junk on the PK. Gave two points to the Coilers. Better showing tonight than last night, but I can hear the hoots from the inbreds in Wetaskawin already.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

It's getting embarrassing watching this team consistently leave points on the table when the game goes to the shootout. I know the mantra is that hockey is a team game and they want to win it before the shootout, but when we are consistently (over the last season and a bit) letting teams stay in it until the dying minutes......ahhh.....whatever. Not worth ranting about it again.

I'm not sure what goes through the coaching staff's collective head when it comes to selecting the first 3 shooters. Burrows is usually ok, but he came is SO slow, not sure what he was thinking. Some times I think that when the shootout rolls around the Canucks just want it too bad and patience goes out the window. Lou bites early and goalies wait our shooters out.

We are only two games in, but if last year and these two games are any indication, the word on the street is that speed kills. So Gillis builds a team that has quickness (outside of the Sedins) and has a coach who likes to slow it down.

As mentioned before, Lou was solid on all but two shots and then his usual self in the shootout. Team was tired, no training camp, and then second game in as many nights.

Let's beg the Oilers to take Luongo, Raymond, and Ballard, in exchange for Eberle. (Then offer Lou an under the table bribe to go to shitsville).
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Improved play compared to yesterdays debacle, I knew if it was going to a shootout = automatic loss.

If AV and management want Kassian to develop quicker, they would leave him with the twins full time.
Plus big guys usually play better when getting a lot of ice time, as it takes em a while to get going.

Hoping Ballard gets traded for a center.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Oilers will get a lot of extra pts via the Shootout.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Better effort and gap control tonight but man there were some ghastly giveaways. Ballard was brutal tonight, Ebbett adds nothing and he turns that 2nd line into a black hole. As a 13th or 14 forward or a callup he is ok but he can't play in your top 6. Can't run like this for too much longer.

Jason Garrison is a nice addition and really solidifies the top 5 d . Tanev had another solid game.....as Bieksa says he could smoke a cigarette out there while he plays. I would park Ballard for that poor performance and give eithe Alberts or Vandermeer a game.

Max Lapierre needs to add a little more juice to his game because even with a healthy Kesler I don't think i want to see him centering the third line. Not nearly enough offence to his game. He is fine on the 4th line or on the wing but there is no way they can play both he and Manny centering the bottom two lines and expect success.

Kassian had a rough start to the game but you can see the potential with this kid. Well you can see it if you aren't a miserable hater . He needs to be engaged to be a factor.

Canucks ran out of gas big time in the last 25 minutes or so. Too bad they didn't bury a few chances early in the game. Oh well the bed pissers should be out in numbers tonight.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Oh dear, my bed's a little wet tonight.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

I'm in the keep Kassian with the Sedins crowd. I think that he has the ability to play with them, but more importantly the ability to defend them.

I'd also like to see Schroeder called up. As others have said Ebbett really adds nothing to the top six.

We didn't generate much offense tonight, and i expect that will continue till we get a second line back. 7-10 days till Kesler is on the ice again can't come soon enough. Hopefully that translates into him playing in 3 weeks.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Brick Tamland wrote:I'm in the keep Kassian with the Sedins crowd. I think that he has the ability to play with them, but more importantly the ability to defend them.

I'd also like to see Schroeder called up. As others have said Ebbett really adds nothing to the top six.

We didn't generate much offense tonight, and i expect that will continue till we get a second line back. 7-10 days till Kesler is on the ice again can't come soon enough. Hopefully that translates into him playing in 3 weeks.
But Vigneault like Ebbett.....Ebbett works really hard and doesn't quit. He might be a liability, but he sure works real hard.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

I thought those young kids and that top 6 that had been playing all year was going to skate circles, or something?

Interesting to see Burrows playing centre in the 3rd between Hansen and Higgins. Lapierre was sent to the 4th line.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Larry Goodenough wrote:I thought those young kids and that top 6 that had been playing all year was going to skate circles, or something?

Interesting to see Burrows playing centre in the 3rd between Hansen and Higgins. Lapierre was sent to the 4th line.
I thought so too actually. Was surprised we actually had a 2-0 lead.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

This was an all too typical early season Canuck game. Everything old is new again. I'm not surprised at their slow start, but it is obviously the case that they don't have the usual 10-20 game window to figure it out. The past 4-5 years, this team usually has all the pistons humming in order by late Nov/early Dec, but can't wait that long this year. I don't know, really can't get a sense of how this will all turn out. I liked Kassian's play, and Tanev also looked comfortable. So, good to see the young guys showing promise.

Its going to be a strange year...
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Boston Canucker wrote:This was an all too typical early season Canuck game. Everything old is new again. I'm not surprised at their slow start, but it is obviously the case that they don't have the usual 10-20 game window to figure it out. The past 4-5 years, this team usually has all the pistons humming in order by late Nov/early Dec, but can't wait that long this year. I don't know, really can't get a sense of how this will all turn out. I liked Kassian's play, and Tanev also looked comfortable. So, good to see the young guys showing promise.

Its going to be a strange year...
Agreed. It takes a while for the players to respond to AV's plan and process (or AV to respond, or whatever). They lost 4 of their first 6 last year and were shut out 4 times in the first two months before they started winning more than they lost in November. However, that was about 18 games before they got going. 37.5% of a 48 game sched (during that time they only won 44% of games).
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

0 - 5 on the PP.

I guess there is a reason why they play 10 games in the preseason.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Better luck next time Dale:

Justin Schultz #19 of the Edmonton Oilers side steps a hit delivered by Dale Weise #32 of the Vancouver Canucks during the second period