0-14 > Best time for a slump...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Are you worried about the scoring?

Yes - it's a sign of the apocolypse
25%
Na - it's pre-season - who cares
75%

Total votes: 24

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

0-14 > Best time for a slump...

Post by Cornuck »

Even Ruutu couldn't score (hit the post in the shootout).

Sounds like Cloutier wasn't having a good game at all. Morrison and Salo get goals tonight. Was the game on TV up there? Sounded like a couple of good hits, though...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

i don't mind if we don't score during even strength of even pp play for that matter, but if we can't convert on shootouts i'm a little worried. if we can't even beat a goalie one on one then it'll be even tougher with 2 defenseman in front of him.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

Game wasn't on TV as far as I know. Listened to last two periods and it sounded like they are improving. Going by the announcers it soundd like the team was in the game at least. The way they were making fun of Fedorov it sounds like he really sucked it up tonight, coughed up the puck left and right. Cloutier sounded like he let in a really bad one at the end, and then got beaten by Iginla with a slapshot in the shootout. Ruutu knocked some guy out cold with a clean check, and Allen jumped in to save Jovanovski from fighting Simon and then got schooled. Never really heard Carter or Cooke mentioned too much. Morrison sounded like he had a pretty good game, along with Salo, Park and Jovo. The lack of scoring, especially in the numerous PP opportunities and the shootouts is starting to become a bit of a distraction, but I think it is WAY to early to even make an issue of it. I'd rather the team takes it slow and eases their way back into the season, try and keep everyone healthy after not playing NHL level hockey for so long.
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

its concerning that we cant score on a breakaway....but whats the deal...0-4...thats not good either...against people in the west too, our almighty core we thougth was going to take us to the cup this year is looking to be a little rusty to say the least
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Callers on Dan Russell are talking doomsday a little... yes, it's only preseason, but from what we've learned so far:

1) The Canuck defense is worrisome
2) The Canucks can't grasp the 'new' rules (more like newly enforced rules) that are supposed to help us
3) our biggest strength -- skill -- is not showing through on penalty shots, which are identical to how they will be in the regular season.

I no like...

Without Mattias Öhlund in the lineup, the Canucks are average. With him, it's a whole different story. He's that good. Remember the St. Louis series?
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

You know what, I'm tired of the "excuses" I'm hearing of how the team is slumping because of all the prospects playing etc etc....you know what, ALL teams have lots of prospects intertwined. If anything it just proves other teams have a better system & more depth than we do. The bad ice excuse is lame too, it affects both teams equally. Face it, our team has come out flat, our goaltending has been weak, defence soft, offence flacid, special teams non-existent....and don't get me started on the shootouts.

I think what worries me the most is listening to the game reminds me more of the early to mid 80s than it does of the team that finished up 2 yrs ago. Its eerie.

Cloutier is about as good as Frank Caprice, Jovo stands out like Doug Halward, Bertuzzi is Jim Sandlak, Morrison is Brent Peterson, Brookbank is Craig Coxe, Kesler is Andy Schlieblener, FedFed is Dan Woodley, Ohlund is J.J. Daigneault (ie hurt), Sami Salo is Rick Lanz, Naslund is Tony Tanti, Salo is Michel Petit, The Twins are Lars Molin & Anders Eldebrink, Linden is Petri Skriko and so on...

...time to SNAP out of that dream...err nightmare.
mindbender
CC Rookie

Post by mindbender »

There are some defeinite concerns to be sure. Lets make some decisions at least on offense and get the regulars used to playing together again before the season starts.
mindbender
CC Rookie

Post by mindbender »

Russell's callers obviously did not look at the stats. It was the Flames who did not grasp the new rules. We were only penalized 6 times while the Flames were penalized 12 times. The sad part was the we only went 1-12 on the PP. I'd say that only 6 penalties in this new NHL is pretty damn good.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

mindbender wrote:We were only penalized 6 times while the Flames were penalized 12 times. The sad part was the we only went 1-12 on the PP. I'd say that only 6 penalties in this new NHL is pretty damn good.
6 penalties in the NHL is indeed admirable, but not nearly as valuable as the W.
VHF
CC Rookie

Post by VHF »

It's not that big of a deal if we are having a slow start in preseason. This is a team that has proven that it can be strong in the regular season. Even if they slump a bit after Oct 4th coming out of the gate, if there is anything we should have learned by now, it's the play in the playoffs that count. We have 85 games to get that right. Does anyone remember Calgary's slow start last year?

The pieces are there and I think it's only a matter of time before we get on a roll. I will not overreact. I have faith that our forwards will put the puck in the net.
it's just a game...dammit!
mindbender
CC Rookie

Post by mindbender »

I agree to a point, however, the lack of chemistry on the top line really bothers me. If they were not scoring but still creating oppotunities then this would not be so bad as the goals would come eventually. As it stands right now, the two years of not playing together is really showing. Is it possible that the chemistry has gone and will not return?
Miller Time
AHL Prospect

Post by Miller Time »

The team is just rusty. Maybe the fault lies with Crawford and the coaching staff for not preparing them properly. Once the season starts this team will revert to the form of 2 years ago and they will again be competitive. Every game has been close so far and once all the rookies are sent down the team will mesh. The D is a bit of a worry but again, Ohlund and Jovo aren't playing the big minutes that they will during the regular season. Give it time.
Stupidity doesn't count as a handicap - park elsewhere.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Anybody know how many on the roster played ine AHL or Europe during the lockout? Soudns like the extra long layoff has hit the guys who hadn't played since '03/04 the hardest...
VHF
CC Rookie

Post by VHF »

Miller Time wrote:The team is just rusty. Maybe the fault lies with Crawford and the coaching staff for not preparing them properly. Once the season starts this team will revert to the form of 2 years ago and they will again be competitive. Every game has been close so far and once all the rookies are sent down the team will mesh. The D is a bit of a worry but again, Ohlund and Jovo aren't playing the big minutes that they will during the regular season. Give it time.
Ah... a voice of calm & reason :). Not sure if the coach is to blame. They had a good camp in Whistler, but perhaps the game prep could have better in the first few games.
it's just a game...dammit!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

VHF wrote:
Miller Time wrote:The team is just rusty. Maybe the fault lies with Crawford and the coaching staff for not preparing them properly. Once the season starts this team will revert to the form of 2 years ago and they will again be competitive. Every game has been close so far and once all the rookies are sent down the team will mesh. The D is a bit of a worry but again, Ohlund and Jovo aren't playing the big minutes that they will during the regular season. Give it time.
Ah... a voice of calm & reason :). Not sure if the coach is to blame. They had a good camp in Whistler, but perhaps the game prep could have better in the first few games.
Since when have the majority of Canuck fans EVER wanted to hear the voice of reason??!?!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.