2013 Canucks Short Preseason/Training Camp

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Re: 2013 Canucks Short Preseason/Training Camp

Post by Brick Tamland »

I watched most of it and as far as shinny goes it was pretty up tempo. The 2 lines that stood out were the Sedins and the Raymond line. I don't think that Raymond fell down much if at all, so that's a good sign. His lowlight was when he led a pretty promising 3 on 1 and then didn't get a pass off. Schroeder actually won a few draws, mde some nice plays and didn't look out of place. Kassian looked OK but he made some pretty bad passes. There is no denying that there was some chemistry there though. I would at least give them a try together for a few shifts to see what happens, albeit on a very short leash.

On Raymonds second goal it was actually Hansen that set him up. The defense let him walk all the way in to the middle of the circles and take a slap shot, I can't remember who it was though.

The shoot out was so so. Schneider looked pretty good Lou did not.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Nine players from camp reassigned this morning as expected. Those were.
- Connauton
- Corrado
- Archibald
- Rodin
- Sweatt
- Gordon
- Joslin
- Andersson
- Cannata

One more cut to go. Will it be Schroeder, Ebbett, Vandermeer, Volpatti or Barker? Speculation is that it would be Schroeder, but why wouldn't they have sent him down with the rest of the Chicago guys? Chicago plays tonight, I believe. I'm thinking it will be a defenceman, hopefully Barker. They can't really be planning on carrying 9 defencemen, can they? Maybe somebody will be getting the waive.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I wouldn't be too surprised if they are looking at whether anyone around the league is likely to claim one of their waiver eligible guys.

If they can't waive on of those players with confidence my guess is that they assign Schroeder with plans to recall him as soon as one of Volpatti, Vandermeer or Barker shows them something they don't like (shouldn't take long).
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Apparently CC favorite Mason (2.2 million dollar salary, half of David Booths) Raymond scored all 3 goals in a 3-0 win by the Schneider team. Apparently he's flying out there. Any more details?
In a game of shinny with no fear of being bumped May Ray lights it up. As a Canucks fan I would like to see the skinny rat from Cochrane produce. We 'll see....
+1
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:I wouldn't be too surprised if they are looking at whether anyone around the league is likely to claim one of their waiver eligible guys.
That would make sense.

I think Vandermeer stays due to his ability to play forward and provide a bit of toughness.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah unless he is truly terrible I would expect him to have an advantage over both Volpatti and Barker in that he can play either position.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
In a game of shinny with no fear of being bumped May Ray lights it up. As a Canucks fan I would like to see the skinny rat from Cochrane produce. We 'll see....
I took my kid to the game (if you really want to call it that)

Actually, Alberts laid a pretty good hit out on Raymond early in the game and to Raymonds credit he gave Alberts a shot back...but um yeah...it was basically a no-contact game and Raymond had a lot or room out there.

Alberts was pretty physical out there in general, really the only guy that was. He played like a guy on the bubble.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Vader wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
I took my kid to the game (if you really want to call it that)

Actually, Alberts laid a pretty good hit out on Raymond early in the game and to Raymonds credit he gave Alberts a shot back...but um yeah...it was basically a no-contact game and Raymond had a lot or room out there.

Alberts was pretty physical out there in general, really the only guy that was. He played like a guy on the bubble.
I think Raymond was a little pissed because it was from behind and he's thenthitive about his back.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:Nine players from camp reassigned this morning as expected. Those were.
- Connauton
- Corrado
- Archibald
- Rodin
- Sweatt
- Gordon
- Joslin
- Andersson
- Cannata

One more cut to go. Will it be Schroeder, Ebbett, Vandermeer, Volpatti or Barker? Speculation is that it would be Schroeder, but why wouldn't they have sent him down with the rest of the Chicago guys? Chicago plays tonight, I believe. I'm thinking it will be a defenceman, hopefully Barker. They can't really be planning on carrying 9 defencemen, can they? Maybe somebody will be getting the waive.
Yup, it's either Schroeder or one of Barker/Vandermeer imho.
So that would leave the Canucks with, by my count, twenty-four players still on Vancouver's roster: nine defenseman, thirteen forwards and two goaltenders.

So who will the last cut be? Barring a major surprise, it would appear to me that the remaining candidates to be waived by end of day Friday would be: either one of Jordan Schroeder or Andrew Ebbet, or alternatively one of the depth defensemen in Cam Barker or Jim Vandermeer.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

So we have (tentatively):

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise
Ebbett

Bieksa-Hamhuis
Garrison-Edler
Ballard-Tanev
Vandermeer
Alberts

Schneider
Luongo

I think Barker gets sent down.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

edit.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I believe Ebbett is subject to waivers, so I doubt it'd be him. We'd hate to lose him for nothing at this point given the injuries up front.

It's either Schroeder, Vandermeer or Barker. I think it's Barker. By all accounts Schroeder has performed well.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Aaronp18 wrote: Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise
Ebbett
Though I wouldn`t mind seeing.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise
Ebbett

Just think the `2nd` line here can be more responsible defensively and eat up more icetime. That way `lil Schroeder`s line would likely see the 3rd pairing.

Edit: Kassian is not quite there to hold down two forward spots yet!!
Last edited by Aaronp18 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I don't believe that anyone subject to waivers can be sent down at this time. It takes 24 hours for them to clear and rosters have to be set today. At least that was the prevailing view yesterday when there was a waiver blitz.

Schroeder will likely be sent down unless Gillis moves a body via trade in the next few hours. Gillis, however, talked highly of Schroeder and they want to give him a chance. I have a feeling we will see Schroeder sent down and one of the other guys waived (at that point it is unlikely they'd get plucked off of waivers). 24 hours later the waiver wire guy gets demoted and Schroeder gets called up.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Aaronp18 wrote: Though I wouldn`t mind seeing.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Burrows
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise
Ebbett
That's a lot of ice time for a rookie!

Thanks for the insight Tant.