So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Aaronp18 »

Yeah maybe they're just hoping someone takes Connolly. If they buy him out right now there's no cap savings.

So putting him on waivers and buying him out doesn't make cap room for Luongo, if I'm understanding this accelerated buyout thingy right.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Vader wrote:Tim Connolly on waivers...perhaps for the purpose of a buy out

Matthew Lomabrdi....gone

Clearing room for Luongo?
I believe they are on the hook for all but $900k of his salary cap. Either Nonis is
1) clearing house of Burke babies and strays
2) sending a clear message to the league that they can finish in 29th, ahead of Edmonton, without these Connolly or Lombardi
3) making room for Luongo
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Tciso wrote:
Vader wrote:Tim Connolly on waivers...perhaps for the purpose of a buy out

Matthew Lomabrdi....gone

Clearing room for Luongo?
I believe they are on the hook for all but $900k of his salary cap. Either Nonis is
1) clearing house of Burke babies and strays
2) sending a clear message to the league that they can finish in 29th, ahead of Edmonton, without these Connolly or Lombardi
3) making room for Luongo
I think Nonis is looking over that roster and thinking why bother bringing in a franchise goalie for 5 years when it'll take that long to build a contender. I suspect he's going to blow off the season and try for Jones/Drouin/McKinnon.
I know I would flush the turds if I was GM.
If you need air...call it in
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

Uncle dans leg wrote: I think Nonis is looking over that roster and thinking why bother bringing in a franchise goalie for 5 years when it'll take that long to build a contender. I suspect he's going to blow off the season and try for Jones/Drouin/McKinnon.
You're making him Brutus to Burke's Caesar... not sure if it's relevant. This Toronto squad has Nonis' fingerprints all over, the same way ours has Gillman's.

Not that it helps in solving the why-waive-Connolly puzzle.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I think Nonis is looking over that roster and thinking why bother bringing in a franchise goalie for 5 years when it'll take that long to build a contender. I suspect he's going to blow off the season and try for Jones/Drouin/McKinnon.
If that is what Nonis is thinking, he should start submitting his EI application. The upper management, the fans, and the media obviously have no patience for a rebuild.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

mpp wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: I think Nonis is looking over that roster and thinking why bother bringing in a franchise goalie for 5 years when it'll take that long to build a contender. I suspect he's going to blow off the season and try for Jones/Drouin/McKinnon.
You're making him Brutus to Burke's Caesar... not sure if it's relevant. This Toronto squad has Nonis' fingerprints all over, the same way ours has Gillman's.

Not that it helps in solving the why-waive-Connolly puzzle.
Keep in mind when we cut Burkie loose Nonis gave the existing group (who were a pretty successful team at the time) one season before he started building his team in pretty much the exact opposide order that BB had attempted.

Even if Nonis has been more or less on board with most of the moves Burke made, he is his own GM and a new GM typically has a mandate to clean house if necessary.. Burke waiving the guy he signed eighteen months ago looks horrible but a new GM after that signing (and others) got the previous one fired can do whatever he wants.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Don't think TML are tanking, they still have a somewhat decent forward group after trading Lombardi, letting Aucoin go, and placing Connolly on waivers.
Lupul-Grabovski-Kessel
JVR-Bozak-MacArthur
Kulemin-McClement-Frattin/Kadri
Komarov-Steckel-Brown
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I can't see why Nonis would be intentionally tanking the season. The draft lottery rules have changed that any none playoff can win the lottery. Rumor has it teams have complained about their counterparts tanking on purpose. No one could possibly argue Edmonton has been trying to ice a playoff caliber team over the last few years. The odds of winning are still higher the lower you finish but the no team can move up more than 4 spots rule is no more. Tanking doesn’t assure you anything.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Don't think TML are tanking, they still have a somewhat decent forward group after trading Lombardi, letting Aucoin go, and placing Connolly on waivers.
Lupul-Grabovski-Kessel
JVR-Bozak-MacArthur
Kulemin-McClement-Frattin/Kadri
Komarov-Steckel-Brown
Hmmm should be middle of the pack in goals-for again.

And in the basement in goals-against again.

Looking over the entire roster it's pretty tough to figure a way to fix the mess that is the TO Leaves

.... especially for a man like NO-NUTS.

Thank you Mr Burke! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Strangelove wrote: Hmmm should be middle of the pack in goals-for again.
And in the basement in goals-against again.
Looking over the entire roster it's pretty tough to figure a way to fix the mess that is the TO Leaves
.... especially for a man like NO-NUTS.

Thank you Mr Burke! :D
Luongo will at least let them see the promised land. Right now, they are in year 45 of wandering the desert. (no cup is one thing. not even making the SC finals is abyssmal)

I really hate the leaves, but I would sacrifice Lu to the leaves if we could save Gardiner
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I dunno, if you were Lou would you be willing to waive your NTC to become a part of that mess?

Even with Lou they'd probably miss the playoffs.

Hmmm... Gardiner + a 1st?? :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Nonis is getting rid of all the deadwieght who wont fit in Coach Carlyle's style.

Connelly is made out of brittle rice cake.

Carlyle likes bangers.

Rice cake breaks when banging.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Nonis is getting rid of all the deadwieght who wont fit in Coach Carlyle's style.

Connelly is made out of brittle rice cake.

Carlyle likes bangers.

Rice cake breaks when banging.
Carlyle also likes players who can play a little defense.

Good luck with THAT lot!! :lol:

Carlyle is gonna lose his fucking mind! :crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Well, looks like there is a new sheriff in town in Ontario. Rumor has it that Blobby Mac's good buddy Cheeseburger Boi Nonis ain't trading no draft picks or young players and prospects for short term fix, veterens. People assumed that ole Nonis would get walked over by old Suitcase Eyes Gillis in a Luongo deal but in fact the changing of GM's in T.O. will in fact work against us in landing a good return, not that there was much there to begin with.

Nonis is doing the right thing, what's the point in bringing in a veteren Luongo backstopping for a team that is uh, pretty much shite to begin with. It will take more than just a Luongo to right that sad sack of a team that Burke built. It's rebuild time in T.O. and they've got the right man for it.

So uh, unless Gillis accepts that shite rental player, up and coming UFA Bozak and maybe a 2nd round pick we ain't gettin' fuck all from Toronto. I can dig where Gillis is coming from, why waste the great asset in Luongo on a Bozak when you can find a Bozak for free in the open market. Hey Mike Gillis, I wouldn't want to be ya.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is there any questioning that train of thought if you are Nonis? It's the right thing to do, and Nonis is gonna take that route. There was too much pressure on Burke to get the leaves into the playoffs to justify his 4 years there, he was the guy to pull a Luongo deal with if there ever was gonna be one with Toronto, not Nonis. Nonis has a clean slate and he ain't about to start selling the future which Burke was about to and that is IMO why he was let go. Toronto needs to stop selling their futures and build a team through drafting and developing. Ya don't think Nonis knows this?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau