So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Boston Canucker »

I'd prefer Luongo not get traded to Toronto for two reasons 1) I just don't want to see him in a leaves uni and 2) leaves' prospects are the most overhyped (esp by the Toronto air media) in the NHL. Kadri may turn out to be a good forward, but the attention they give him is out of proportion. Every leaves decent young guy is turned into an untouchable...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Drew Shore has been putting up 0.75 PPG in the AHL as a first year pro, that is pretty impressive.

I think if we could get Shore and Florida's first round pick for Luongo - plus Shawn Matthias, just for the hell of it - that would be a pretty damned satisfactory return.

Not much in the way of immediate help but if Shore is as advertised then we would almost certainly graduate one center (if not two - Schroeder) to the big club next year, plus Matthias can play wing or center. That would be four (or five) centers on the roster without re-signing a single player, and three (or four) of them with the skill to play a top six role.

Adding Shore (6'3) and Matthias (6'4 / 220) would give the Canucks a group of young forwards (with Kassian at 6'3 / 214 and Jensen at 6'3 / 186) that fit Gillis "bigger, faster, younger" mantra and all have the ability to be top nine players in my opinion.

An extra first round pick (or maybe a second rounder plus a third rounder) would allow the team to either take riskier picks to add players with elite potential to the organization, or to move up and grab one of the top prospects in the draft.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote: I think if we could get Shore and Florida's first round pick for Luongo - plus Shawn Matthias, just for the hell of it - that would be a pretty damned satisfactory return.
I would do that deal in a heartbeat Dave.

Might hafta throw in a 2nd/3rd though?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote: Adding Shore (6'3) and Matthias (6'4 / 220) would give the Canucks a group of young forwards (with Kassian at 6'3 / 214 and Jensen at 6'3 / 186) that fit Gillis "bigger, faster, younger" mantra and all have the ability to be top nine players in my opinion.
You forgot about Brendan Gaunce (6'2 / 215).
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Shore, Matthias and a 1st, I'll take that and run. I would prefer Petrovic, Shore and Matthias though.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Jovocop, I excluded him as I'm unsure whether he's even AHL eligible next year, let alone a player with a good shot to crack the NHL team.
Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote: I think if we could get Shore and Florida's first round pick for Luongo - plus Shawn Matthias, just for the hell of it - that would be a pretty damned satisfactory return.
I would do that deal in a heartbeat Dave.

Might hafta throw in a 2nd/3rd though?
Yeah maybe. Maybe we have to buy out Scottie Upshall and send them a prospect, or a pick, or maybe we settle for a 2nd and 3rd and take some big swings at the draft with 5 picks in the first 90.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Canuck-One wrote:Shore, Matthias and a 1st, I'll take that and run. I would prefer Petrovic, Shore and Matthias though.
Yup that's a helluva lot better than Bozak, Kadri and a pick.
TML assets in Luongo trade spec (Bozak, Kadri + pick) unchanged since fall reports. Canucks did not up demand after GM change.
~via Iain MacIntyre
Just as DBR said just got to negotiate a fair deal with Florida!
shuck and jive MG if you have to.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we're getting much of anything back for Luongo.

Despite the fact that he is a good goalie, that contract is a huge disincentive. With the new back diving provisions in the CBA, teams will be penalized if Luongo retires early. With the contract running till he is 43, that is a certainty.

If Gillis can actually make a hockey trade, then I'll tip my hat to him.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: I don't think MG would prefer Frattin to Kulemin.
I certainly wouldn't.
If it were Kadri + Frattin, I'd want a 1st-round-pick as well.
I'd rather have Kulemin because he has proven he can pass for a 2nd-liner.
I wouldn't touch Reimer with a 10-foot pole.
SKYO wrote: Not to mention they have a coupla decent center rentals like the tired name Bozak or Lombardi who would be the perfect 3rd line center on any contending team, if healthy.
I don't like Lombardi (or Connolly).
I suppose I could settle for Bozak, but I'd prefer Kulemin.
Kadri/Kulemin/pick wouldn't be bad, I'd like Kulemin way better than Bozak I suppose.
It's just a big risk on Kadri though, hoping he pans out cause if he is a bust, and then when Kulemin leaves via UFA after this short season, all we are left with is a 2nd round pick for RL lol. :?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Kadri/Kulemin/pick wouldn't be bad, I'd like Kulemin way better than Bozak I suppose.

It's just a big risk on Kadri though, hoping he pans out cause if he is a bust, and then when Kulemin leaves via UFA after this short season, all we are left with is a 2nd round pick for RL lol. :?
Kulemin is signed til 2014.

But yeah.

I'd rather do a deal with Florida and I still think we WILL do a deal with Florida, too much time on my hands today.

Gotta run now though....

I'll leave this thought with all you Lou-loving Leaf-haters out there:

If Lou became a Leaf would you be able to go from loving him to hating him?

And if so, how quickly? :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Zedlee wrote:Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we're getting much of anything back for Luongo.
The longer this goes on (Luongo still being a Canuck) the more it tells us that the market ain't exactly chomping at the bits to land Luongo and the longer it does go on the more antsy Lou gets and the more antsy Lou gets the more pressure he puts on ole Mikey to get him outta here and the more pressure Mike gets the lesser chance it is for him to land a big fish for a dangling Lou.

I don't see this boding all that well for us. Maybe Bozak and Kadri is the best we get and if so....yikes! I still predict Kadri being a total bust at the pro level and Bozak, the up coming UFA is nothing more than a poor mans Brenden Morrison.

I am hoping that Gillis can land a first round pick from a fringe team and ends up being a high pick and that we have a shite year, missing the playoffs and end up with two lottery picks. That would really put Mikey in Chef Boi RD's good books.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
Zedlee wrote:Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we're getting much of anything back for Luongo.
The longer this goes on (Luongo still being a Canuck) the more it tells us that the market ain't exactly chomping at the bits to land Luongo and the longer it does go on the more antsy Lou gets and the more antsy Lou gets the more pressure he puts on ole Mikey to get him outta here and the more pressure Mike gets the lesser chance it is for him to land a big fish for a dangling Lou.

I don't see this boding all that well for us. Maybe Bozak and Kadri is the best we get and if so....yikes! I still predict Kadri being a total bust at the pro level and Bozak, the up coming UFA is nothing more than a poor mans Brenden Morrison.

I am hoping that Gillis can land a first round pick from a fringe team and ends up being a high pick and that we have a shite year, missing the playoffs and end up with two lottery picks. That would really put Mikey in Chef Boi RD's good books.
I would be happy with Bozak and a 1st round pick from the leaves. It will be a top 10 pick, and if the prospect cupboard is as bare as you say it is RD, well then we could use that.

I also don't think anyone was holding their breath for Luongo to get traded before the start of the season. MG needs to hang on and wait until a couple of teams start an early panic after a slow start out of the gate. I also don't think Lou is gonna get antsy.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Tim Connolly on waivers...perhaps for the purpose of a buy out

Matthew Lomabrdi....gone

Clearing room for Luongo?
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Vader wrote:Tim Connolly on waivers...perhaps for the purpose of a buy out

Matthew Lomabrdi....gone

Clearing room for Luongo?
With Connolly and Lombardi gone, I think it makes it more likely that the leaves keep Bozak and Khadri. Hopefully they'll be willing to part with Gardiner.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Connolly's not necessarily gone - they can't hide his cap hit on the Marlies anymore so if he's good enough to crack the Maple leaves roster, he will.

Assuming some team out there isn't falling all over themselves to scoop up a soft, injury-prone, vastly overpaid player of course. :roll:

(That being said it's possible that Nonis is seeing if he can get rid of Connolly for nothing before resigning himself to exchanging him for a different undesireable contract - a la our SOB for Ryan Parent trade a couple years back.)