So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
One thing Nonis and Burke have in common is that they're very good at justifying why they didn't do something. How many times did we endure these two saying "I will not overpay for a goaltender/second line forward...blah blah blah"?

If Gillis' goal is to acquire some help for the here and now, then obviously Luongo needs to be traded asap.

If Gillis' goal is to acquire futures in the form of draft picks and/or prospects, then he is probably better served by waiting out the season and seeing if there are more suitors in the off season. It's not like a guy like Bjugstad, for example, would be much help this season, so what's the rush? I think it's highly unlikely that Florida and Toronto will remove themselves from the Luongo sweepstakes if this thing drags on into the off season, so Gillis does have some manoeuvrability.

The thing that gets me, is that if I'm Dave Nonis I am itching to get into the playoffs this season for the sake of some job security. If there was ever a time he could be afforded some leeway and 'benefit of the doubt' in terms of potentially overpaying, you would think it would be in the department of solidifying the goaltending position, right?
It is a loop.
Ropesauce
CC Rookie

Post by Ropesauce »

Can we add "we're building from the net out" to that loop?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I wonder how long it'll take for Randy "cheeseburger eatin' mofo" Nonis to lose the shirt and give up Gardiner... (put me in the camp where Bozak & Gardiner are a good enough return)
It's his only chance of actually making enough of a difference to keep his job past April in my opinion.
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I wonder how long it'll take for Randy "cheeseburger eatin' mofo" Nonis to lose the shirt and give up Gardiner... (put me in the camp where Bozak & Gardiner are a good enough return)
It's his only chance of actually making enough of a difference to keep his job past April in my opinion.

Gardiner is still not cleared to play with his post concussion symptoms and all. So he would be a player for the future not one that would help the Canucks in the immediate future. Not that I would say no to GArdiner but if the goal is the get immediate help he is not it right now.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:I wonder how long it'll take for Randy "cheeseburger eatin' mofo" Nonis to lose the shirt and give up Gardiner... (put me in the camp where Bozak & Gardiner are a good enough return)

Gardiner is still not cleared to play with his post concussion symptoms and all. So he would be a player for the future not one that would help the Canucks in the immediate future. Not that I would say no to GArdiner but if the goal is the get immediate help he is not it right now.
Ya thats where Bozak would come in handy...
Also just heard on SNet that Gardiners' pretty close, may play Saturday. Rumour was that we want Bozak and Gardiner but Burke/cheeseburger didn't want to cough up Gardiner.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

A 2013 1st round pick is the best return. Makes us a player in the 2013 draft with 2 first round picks, especially if we play like shite in which i think we will.

The season will be over before you know it, no big deal if we stink the joint out. I say we pull a Kevin Lowe/Steve Tambellini and tank the season.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Ya thats where Bozak would come in handy...
Also just heard on SNet that Gardiners' pretty close, may play Saturday. Rumour was that we want Bozak and Gardiner but Burke/cheeseburger didn't want to cough up Gardiner.
You do realize that Bozak is a rental player. He's a UFA at the end of the season. You don't give up an asset like Luongo if a main piece coming back is pretty much a rental player. Fucking sign Daymond Langkow for fuck sakes. Bozak is like a poor mans Brenden Morrison, a real awesome player. NOT
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: Ya thats where Bozak would come in handy...
You do realize that Bozak is a rental player. He's a UFA at the end of the season. You don't give up an asset like Luongo if a main piece coming back is pretty much a rental player. Fucking sign Daymond Langkow for fuck sakes. Bozak is like a poor mans Brenden Morrison, a real awesome player. NOT
Gardiner ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Bozak dude. Plus. Now and Later
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Would you guys settle for this: Lu Wongo for Kadri + Kulemin + 2nd?

Former 7th overall Kadri seems to be rounding into form, he's a solid prospect on the cusp I'd say.

True, he's a make-or-break top-6-or-bust player, but I'd roll the dice on him.

Kulemin would fit right in here imo.

A big smart physical good-skating 2-way forward with upside... on a decent cap-hit.

We could build a temporary (until Booth, Kess come back) 2nd line around these two.

Obviously it would be a 2nd line that only see about as much icetime as a 3rd line of Higgins, Lappy, Hansen.

But a temporary 2nd line of sorts.

We could throw Kassian on that line and call it the KKK line. :mex:

Thoughts?
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:Would you guys settle for this: Lu Wongo for Kadri + Kulemin + 2nd?
I have a feeling MG would prefer Frattin, relatively unknown outside the T.O. just got into the game after playing college in the States, plays big/strong/industrious, has a good shot + wheels and will likely have a breakout season soon if put in the right situation.
Kadri+Frattin+Reimer?

Not to mention they have a coupla decent center rentals like the tired name Bozak or Lombardi who would be the perfect 3rd line center on any contending team, if healthy.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Kadri has all the appeal Kyle Wellwood when he was a leaf.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Strangelove wrote: Former 7th overall Kadri seems to be rounding into form
Making jokes about player's weight is below you.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Would you guys settle for this: Lu Wongo for Kadri + Kulemin + 2nd?
I have a feeling MG would prefer Frattin, relatively unknown outside the T.O. just got into the game after playing college in the States, plays big/strong/industrious, has a good shot + wheels and will likely have a breakout season soon if put in the right situation.

Kadri+Frattin+Reimer?
I don't think MG would prefer Frattin to Kulemin.

I certainly wouldn't.

If it were Kadri + Frattin, I'd want a 1st-round-pick as well.

I'd rather have Kulemin because he has proven he can pass for a 2nd-liner.

I wouldn't touch Reimer with a 10-foot pole.
SKYO wrote: Not to mention they have a coupla decent center rentals like the tired name Bozak or Lombardi who would be the perfect 3rd line center on any contending team, if healthy.
I don't like Lombardi (or Connolly).

I suppose I could settle for Bozak, but I'd prefer Kulemin.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:Kadri has all the appeal Kyle Wellwood when he was a leaf.
:look:

Well I wouldn't know.....
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Gardiner or no one from the leaves at this time, we need more from luongo than players the leaves can do without...