Upcoming Canuck UFAs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Upcoming Canuck UFAs

Post by Strangelove »

Last year Manny lost the little offensive game he had along with the little PP time he had been getting.

Zero PP points as opposed to his usual half-doz or so.

Also he wasn’t getting involved in the play as much.

Less hitting, less blocked shots.

It’s fair I guess to contribute all that to his usual training regime being disrupted and impaired vision.

But personally I suspect it was mostly psychological.

If he bounces back this season I’d offer him no more than $1mil per on a 1-2 year deal.

He’d be a 33-year-old 4th line centre in 2013-14, albeit one of the best, IF he bounces back.

If he has another year like last year, cut him loose of course.

Meanwhile Lappy is evolving into a great bottom-6 forward.

I’d like to see him signed to a 4-year $1.5mil-per extension.

Higgins has evolved into a solid 2-way bottom-6 guy who can easily fill in on the top 6.

3 years at $2.2mil per?

Raymond and Volpatti can piss right off please and thank-you.

Ebbett back for another year at $600K as a callup?

Re-sign Edler right now to an 8-year contract for less than $5mil-per.

If he insists on more money, trade him NOW… the return would be large

(prior to the new CBA with the Year Two 64.3M ceiling I was at ~$5.5mil-per on Edler).

Alberts can walk, Barker = LOL, re-sign Vandermeer to a 1-year 1-way $700K if he fairs well.

Thoughts?
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Upcoming Canuck UFAs

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:Last year Manny lost the little offensive game he had along with the little PP time he had been getting.

Zero PP points as opposed to his usual half-doz or so.

Also he wasn’t getting involved in the play as much.

Less hitting, less blocked shots.

It’s fair I guess to contribute all that to his usual training regime being disrupted and impaired vision.

But personally I suspect it was mostly psychological.

If he bounces back this season I’d offer him no more than $1mil per on a 1-2 year deal.

He’d be a 33-year-old 4th line centre in 2013-14, albeit one of the best, IF he bounces back.

If he has another year like last year, cut him loose of course.

Meanwhile Lappy is evolving into a great bottom-6 forward.

Higgins has evolved into a solid 2-way bottom-6 guy who can easily fill in on the top 6.

3 years at $2.2mil per?

Raymond and Volpatti can piss right off please and thank-you.

Ebbett back for another year at $600K as a callup?

Re-sign Edler right now to an 8-year contract for less than $5mil-per.

If he insists on more money, trade him NOW… the return would be large

(prior to the new CBA with the Year Two 64.3M ceiling I was at ~$5.5mil-per on Edler).

Alberts can walk, Barker = LOL, re-sign Vandermeer to a 1-year 1-way $700K if he fairs well.

Thoughts?
Funny how Higgins and Lapster end up being keepers off dead line deals...
not seen enough of Ebbett,
want a bounce back year For raymond
You're Gillis, you package Edler and Luongo for??
Last edited by ukcanuck on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: You're Gillis, you package Edler and Luongo for??
I know eh?

HUGE
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: You're Gillis, you package Edler and Luongo for??
I know eh?

HUGE
i like the sound of Popeye Jones Boy...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Not much disagreement with the OP.

I'd make offers to Higgins and Lapierre and I'd consider it for Malhotra depending on his performance this year.

Raymond would have to really impress at this point but I won't say never.

Not really thinking about Volpatti or Ebbett one way or the other. As utility guys who probably hit waivers and spend most of the year in Chicago, sure whatever.

On defense I've said this elsewhere but I'm hoping the Canucks can find another Aaron Rome type.. I don't think Andrew Alberts is it and I don't think Jim Vandermeer or Cam Barker are going to do much to show they deserve contracts.

I think you still give Alex Edler anything up to $5.5m, I don't think that amount of cap space is going to be better spent on other pending free agents or in the marketplace. To me it would have to be one hell of a deal to think about moving him.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote: I think you still give Alex Edler anything up to $5.5m, I don't think that amount of cap space is going to be better spent on other pending free agents or in the marketplace. To me it would have to be one hell of a deal to think about moving him.
Oh it absolutely would be a helluva deal Dave.

A lot of teams are craving a player like Edler big time right now.

$5.5mil for Edler long term? :crazy:

Yeah, I suppose I WOULD bite the bullet on that Dave.
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

A lot of teams are craving a player like Edler, doc. I bet we would be, too.

But yeah if Edler is asking for much more than that, and you can move him and Luongo to get a couple of franchise cornerstone type players, then I guess you've got to take a long hard look at it.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Disagree about trading or letting Edler walk. Even with a decreasing cap, I would go as high as a $6M cap hit if that's what it takes to retain him, although I think a long term deal with a cap hit of around $5M should be doable. Defensemen like him don't grown on trees, and he would be very difficult to replace via trade or free agency.

He has been durable, and aside from the LA series last year, rock solid at both ends. I do wish he was more physical though, but if he were, he'd be in Weber/Chara territory. He still has time to get better too (look at Bieksa and Garrison).

Raymond, Volpatti and Manny need monster seasons to stick around. Assistant coach Malhotra anyone?

Agree that Lapierre and Higgins have been great additions. For all Gillis gets shat on for the Ballard trade, these two deadline acquisitions were beauties. Bring both back please, barring outrageous contract demands and horrible seasons, of course.

This season would be an absolutely fantastic fucking time for Higgins and Lapierre to step it up. This is Lapierre's big chance to show he belongs above the fourth line long term. 15 goals and 35 points would be just great.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Totally agree with Herb regarding Edler. You go to 6 if you have to. Exactly how many d-men in the NHL can lug the puck, pass the puck, shoot the puck , hit like a truck when they are moved to and are 6ft 3 220 ? And he's 26. Sorry but this kid has to stay. 6 years 34 million.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Totally agree with Herb regarding Edler. You go to 6 if you have to. Exactly how many d-men in the NHL can lug the puck, pass the puck, shoot the puck , hit like a truck when they are moved to and are 6ft 3 220 ? And he's 26. Sorry but this kid has to stay. 6 years 34 million.
Disagree. Depends on what he does this year and what happens in the playoffs with him.

If his back is pooched and will cause him to be inconsistent and/or hesitant, then move him in a dirty deal that makes the other guy feel like he's robbing us blind.....then laugh when he's beside himself trying to figure out why Edler isn't performing in big games.

If he has a bounce back year and we see the Edler of 2010/11, then sign him but try and keep it under $5.5M. Of course this all depends on what we expect to see on our blueline in a couple of years. Do we hope that MG can get us that stud on the blueline? Is MG even looking at getting that. Edler is not that guy, we know that. He would be an amazing partner for that guy, or a counterpart anchor for the 2nd pairing. I don't see us affording Edler at anyting over $5M AND finding room for said stud.

Edler and Lou in a package would be a massive trade. It would have to include either that stud Weber-like defenseman and a 1R pick, or a solid top 6 forward with top 3 potential, plus, plus, plus, plus.....

I'd also like to see what Louie plus Raymond in a package would garner in return.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Strangelove wrote: Meanwhile Lappy is evolving into a great bottom-6 forward.

3 years at $2.2mil per?

Thoughts?
Yes on Lappy.
Higgins will demand $3 to $3.5 imo. that's what 40 points is worth
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!