Amnesty Buyout

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Amnesty Buyout

Post by Aaronp18 »

tantalum wrote:You don't even need to roll the dice...keep the deal below that 900k and the only risk is a contract space.
Yeah why not, he gets paid in full from the Habs anyways so might as well go play for a contender.

If anything he can move the puck. Depth and versatility is what a team will need to succeed in this short, action packed season.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

coco_canuck wrote:It's all over twitter, so you won't have difficulty finding a link, but teams are allowed to use one buyout now but the catch is it will count against the cap this season only.

That means Redden and Gomez will now be free agents.

Gomez is a guy I'd look at signing for the 3rd line role. He was laughably overpaid at $7M, but at the right price he can be a solid bottom 6 centre who can move up in a pinch.
It's official

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

Bye bye David? Roberto? Keith?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: It's official

This wouldn't be the way to go with David, Roberto, or Keith.

Besides, we're gonna be getting some sweet SWEET assets back in the upcoming Roberto trade!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

100% cap hit and salary this year, no cap hit next year. TSN says nothing about either being prorated to 48 games.

Some may have to think that through.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote: It's official

This wouldn't be the way to go with David, Roberto, or Keith.

Besides, we're gonna be getting some sweet SWEET assets back in the upcoming Roberto trade!
Forget the trade...it's over, never happen get out of your glee leaf fantasy and get on with reality...Luo is a locker room cancer :twisted:

Buy him out and go with Cory, the once and future king...of the net!

It's a new era, time to move on...

Regarding that...Florida is offering seasons tickets for $7@ a free jersey and a handjob by the ice girls...wadda we get? sweet buttfuck all... so far so good in sticking to my decision to boycott the NHL 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I'm really not worried about cap hits this year, I'd rather keep the depth that Booth, Ballard and Luongo bring. I can't see Booth or Luongo being buyout candidates anyway, both are good players and have value so you could get something in trade at least.

Ballard I think will be on the team and given this year - if he sucks this year again then they will likely buy him out. They still have the option to buy out next summer so why get rid of him now?

Gomez I'm not sure about, he was garbage for the Habs but really had his confidence shot. At a reasonable cap hit and as a 3rd line center he's better than what the Nucks have now though, so can't hurt.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: Luo is a locker room cancer :twisted:
Did the devil make you type those words? :hmmm:
Arachnid wrote: Regarding that...Florida is offering seasons tickets for $7@ a free jersey and a handjob by the ice girls
Once they acquire Lou they can double ticket prices, charge $150 per Lou jersey and give the ice girls latex gloves. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

coco_canuck wrote: At the very least he's better than anything we'll get from Ebbett, Schroeder and even Malhotra in the bottom 6.

I really think he'd be a good addition. Gomez is from Alaska and he played for the Surrey Eagles, so he's familiar with the area and could do worse than spend a shortened season with a cup contender that has a big hole on the second line.
Yeah, plus 5 teams in the west have already 'expressed preliminary interest' in Gomez, I bet Vancouver is one of them with Kesler's major injury and unknown time table of his return.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl130115.html

And who knows (wishful thinking) maybe Gomez can regain his hands/confidence again and center between Kesler/Booth down the line! :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

SKYO wrote: And who knows (wishful thinking) maybe Gomez can regain his hands/confidence again and center between Kesler/Booth down the line! :thumbs:
That's highly improbable.

While I would like to see the Canucks add Gomez, he's probably never going to be a top-six forward again. It's about finding a useful role to pro-long his career, such as being a two-way third line centre.

And even that is no guarantee considering how shitty he was last year. I think absolute best case is a solid third line C who can contribute 30-35 pts over an 82 game season.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

35 point pace is what he's done the past two seasons. I think the absolute best case would be higher than that. Who knows.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

tantalum wrote:35 point pace is what he's done the past two seasons. I think the absolute best case would be higher than that. Who knows.
Well last year he was on a 22-24 point pace and the previous year he was playing over 18 minutes a game and lots of PP ice.

Safe to say that if he comes here he'd be playing closer to 13-15 minutes a game with not much PP time once Kesler gets back.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Arachnid wrote: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

I gotta hand it to the NHL and the PA on this one. To go back and fix a glaring error that would penalize some players and do it so quickly. Wonder how much it had to do with it being NYR as one of the teams? But at any rate good for them working on a fix so that Redden and Gomez have a chance to play. And who knows, we may see a few more before Wednesday.

Philadelphia anyone? :D :D :D :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Philadelphia anyone? :D :D :D :D
How does this work for guys on contracts with multiple years left??

They get paid out in full this year, the whole contract counts against the cap and then the contract is terminated moving forward?? There's no penalty for the years he has left on his contract?
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Arachnid wrote: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

I gotta hand it to the NHL and the PA on this one. To go back and fix a glaring error that would penalize some players and do it so quickly. Wonder how much it had to do with it being NYR as one of the teams? But at any rate good for them working on a fix so that Redden and Gomez have a chance to play. And who knows, we may see a few more before Wednesday.

Philadelphia anyone? :D :D :D :D
Now that would be a real shocker if they bought out Bryzgalov - would be almost certain to go all in on Lu if they do it. Please Snider, buy out Bryzgalov!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Philadelphia anyone? :D :D :D :D
How does this work for guys on contracts with multiple years left??

They get paid out in full this year, the whole contract counts against the cap and then the contract is terminated moving forward?? There's no penalty for the years he has left on his contract?

They just accelerated the ability to buy a player out by one year. For this season only it counts on the cap but moving forward the buy out will not count against the cap. A team can only exercise one amnesty buy out now and if they do they first must place the player on waivers and he must clear before the season starts. So it is a short short window right now. It doesn't really help the team much other than they get to buy a player out now. This change helps players that are being told to sit at home for a year and not play hockey. It gives them a chance to sign elsewhere and at least play this season.
The only HW the Canucks need