2013 Canucks Short Preseason/Training Camp

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2013 Canucks Short Preseason/Training Camp

Post by damonberryman »

RoyalDude wrote:
Vader wrote:
Huh? One minute, you don't want Barker at all and now that Gillis signed him you're justifying the signing? C'mon. Quit the cheerleading. Pick an opinion and stick to it
Vader, welcome to the Gillis Cheerleader Club. Get used to it. You will no longer be allowed to have a negative opinion of Barker until he is no longer a Canuck. Apparently everything Gillis touches turns to gold.
IT IS NOT SO MUCH THAT HE IS MADE OF GOLD. IT IS MORE THAT HE IS BOTH GOOD AND NOT SO GOOD AND BOTH DESERVE RECOGNITION RATHER THAN DOOM AND GLOOM ABOUT MG 24/7
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I was referring to the season before when AV played Rome ahead of Ballard. I probably should have mentioned that. Last year , especially in the 2nd half of the season and playoffs Ballard was given a bit more of an opportunity.

As I said I have zero problem with Aaron Rome as a 6th/7th guy but he will probably get a better chance in big D.
I also had zero problems with Rome as a 6/7th guy, and agree that it was comical how AV played Rome over Ballard (especially on the PP) in 2010/11.

Rome has a shot to play in Dallas' top 4, but will probably be a bottom pairing guy again. He should at least be a regular player there as long as he doesn't play like shit.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

pic on canucks facebook...tits on dank and a gut on hank... ;) or vice versa
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Here is another defenceman
‏@VanCanucks
Media Release: #Canucks sign defenceman Jim Vandermeer.
So now the Canucks have 9 NHL defencemen on contract.

At least one of Alberts, Vandermeer or Barker is going to Chicago...or elsewhere.

What did I just say about the day being young?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Not a fan of the Barker signing.

(edit: With the Vandermeer signing I guess the Canucks aren't as much of a fan of Barker as some might have thought either..)

Seems to me like a player where there is reason to believe he could succeed, but no particular reason (from the outside) to believe he will.

I guess the management group either thinks they are going to turn Barker's career around, or much more likely they think the depth chart spot they have in mind for him is so unimportant that if he stinks as badly as he has everywhere else they can replace him with a better player before the playoffs.

Actually to some extent they probably think both of those things.

Still, gotta wonder whether Barker is going to outperform other guys who have signed for similar money to what Barker got so far.. Matt Gilroy, Kurtis Foster, Mike Mottau, Radek Martinek. Chris Campoli is out there too although he is probably looking for more money and a bigger role than what the Canucks were going to offer.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

dbr wrote: I guess the management group either thinks they are going to turn Barker's career around, or much more likely they think the depth chart spot they have in mind for him is so unimportant that if he stinks as badly as he has everywhere else they can replace him with a better player before the playoffs.

Actually to some extent they probably think both of those things.
I do think they see some potential upside in Barker, but this is more about loading up on veteran D-men in a likely injury riddled short season.

You can look at Barker and Vandermeer as fringe NHL players with NHL experience that are around or just below league average for depth players.

If the Canucks don't have these guys in the system and the youngsters aren't ready, then they have to give up assets, whether it's a low level prospect or a late round pick, to bring in a fringe guy with no familiarity with the team to fill a short-term need.

Also, neither Vandermeer nor Barker are highly thought of enough that Gillis won't look to add another top 4-6 D-man in a potential trade. If there is to a significant improvement to the defence, it's gonna come through trade, not $600-700K signings.

Like I said before, this is just depth but it's not easy to convince a player who is seriously wanting a top 6 job to sign here to fight for a spot and play for relative peanuts. So like you said, it's easy to want someone like Campoli instead, but he might not be as willing to come to a team with a crowded blueline.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah I agree Coco.

Same reason it would have been pointless to try and get a guy like Fistric out of Dallas (he just went to Edmonton for a 3rd rounder), those guys are not going to be happy getting into a game every now and then.

It's just a shame that the Canucks don't seem to have a beat on a player talented enough to get into games regularly but with little enough track record that he is actually available - like Aaron Rome once was. Perhaps circumstances right now are such that those players just aren't available, but I hope the team does better than Alberts/Barker/Vandermeer next time they have a full offseason to work on it.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

coco_canuck wrote:Here is another defenceman
‏@VanCanucks
Media Release: #Canucks sign defenceman Jim Vandermeer.
There ya go Blobby!!

And Barker slides to #9/10 on the depth chart.

Look out Wolfies, here he comes!

Cam Freakshow Barker was cut by AHL's Texas Stars 1 month ago.

Why Gillis wants to pay him $700K to play for the Wolves I'll probably never know...
____
Try to focus on someday.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

dbr wrote: It's just a shame that the Canucks don't seem to have a beat on a player talented enough to get into games regularly but with little enough track record that he is actually available - like Aaron Rome once was. Perhaps circumstances right now are such that those players just aren't available, but I hope the team does better than Alberts/Barker/Vandermeer next time they have a full offseason to work on it.
Yeah, I think Rome is the exception when it comes up to picking up fringe players. The percentage of players who rise from fringe status is very low to begin with, and even if management has a great eye the likelihood of that type of player working out is still pretty low.

I do agree that ultimately, this team does need to have something better to step in and play a significant role if a major injury or two hits the defence.

I can live with Vandermeer, Barker and Alberts in the short-term but if any of those guys have to play in the top 4 for an extended period....
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: The not so great strangelove said fans would not miss a game this season.

Barker replaces Tanev on the Wolves.
Yes as the Great Strangelove said the Great Strangelove never said the Great Strangelove is always right.

Is Cam Barker good enough for the Wolves?

Does Cam Barker deserve $700K to play for the Wolves?

These are the questions.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lloyd Braun wrote: ... Okay, worst case scenario is that he's a headcase who disrupts the room
bing, bing, bing

He be fuckinup da Wolves real good.
____
Try to focus on someday.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Could these signings be the pre cursor to one of our other d being packaged with Lu?

You would think a Luongo/Edler package could fetch some pretty nice return.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

$lacker wrote:Could these signings be the pre cursor to one of our other d being packaged with Lu?

You would think a Luongo/Edler package could fetch some pretty nice return.
Defensive depth signings do not signal the trading of a #2 defenseman.

Signing Cam Barker is more of a signal of insanity, a cry for help.
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

coco_canuck wrote:
dbr wrote: It's just a shame that the Canucks don't seem to have a beat on a player talented enough to get into games regularly but with little enough track record that he is actually available - like Aaron Rome once was. Perhaps circumstances right now are such that those players just aren't available, but I hope the team does better than Alberts/Barker/Vandermeer next time they have a full offseason to work on it.
Yeah, I think Rome is the exception when it comes up to picking up fringe players. The percentage of players who rise from fringe status is very low to begin with, and even if management has a great eye the likelihood of that type of player working out is still pretty low.
It is. I suspect it's even harder to get those players now that we have sufficient NHL depth, you have to wonder if earlier in Gillis' tenure he had offered jobs to guys like Aaron Rome and Tanner Glass without obvious holes towards the bottom of the Canucks depth chart, would those players have passed and gone to teams with fewer legitimate NHLers?
I do agree that ultimately, this team does need to have something better to step in and play a significant role if a major injury or two hits the defence.

I can live with Vandermeer, Barker and Alberts in the short-term but if any of those guys have to play in the top 4 for an extended period....
It will be interesting to see what happens with this team if/when they feel they have the prospect depth down in Chicago to start giving those kids short term assignments at the NHL level.

I'm sure most NHL veterans wouldn't appreciate signing with a team only to see an AHL call up taking most of their playing time when the opportunity arises, however I'm also pretty sure most NHL franchises don't want to see their up and coming defensemen sitting 40-50 games a year.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

RDs fave player David Booth is off for a MRI. "Tweaked" his groin yesterday and they don't know how serious it is so off to gather more info on it. He's apparently limping pretty good today and typically "tweaked" and "MRI" aren't used in the same sentence.