So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah that Nonis......real wizard at the draft table. I'll take Luc Bourdon instead of Anze Kopitar anytime.........brilliant pick. :lol:

Patrick White and Taylor Ellington with our first two picks in 07.....Great building blocks there.

In 06 I know that Michael Grabner is a way better pick than Chris Stewart or Claude Giroux .

Quite a smart guy that Captain Cheesburger is. 1 for 3 in making the playoffs. He has a marginally better batting average than his former sidekick Tambellini.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I'll take Luc Bourdon instead of Anze Kopitar anytime.........brilliant pick. :lol:.
Well, that's a little unfair. Who knows what Luc would have become?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

FWIW
NHL_Rumour_Mill
Source out of VAN says 2nd original 6 team is in the hunt for Lou. Only one that makes sense is DET.
I'd accept Helm, Brendan Smith and Howard for RL & KCon.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:FWIW
NHL_Rumour_Mill
Source out of VAN says 2nd original 6 team is in the hunt for Lou. Only one that makes sense is DET.

Chicago, Detroit and Toronto are the only three that make sense. If it is Chicago or Detroit then you think Crawford or Howard would be coming back. Question is do we want either of them given that they are both starters and would not that be more of a distraction that keeping Luongo and Cory? Unless they were to trade with a team on the loosing end??
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Maybe it's the Habs. Then they'll make a seperate deal and get a ransom for Carey Price.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Gillis has to trade Lu before the season starts, doesn't he? It only makes sense - no reason to have this hanging over the team. Imassume it will happen in the next couple of days though I have no idea where he is going.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Diehard1 wrote:Gillis has to trade Lu before the season starts, doesn't he? It only makes sense - no reason to have this hanging over the team. Imassume it will happen in the next couple of days though I have no idea where he is going.
This won't hang over the team. I get the sense that they are prepared for either possibility.....he is traded or he stays until they are done this year. But I'm willing to bet that the team, and both goalies are ready for whatever happens and that they will be fine if he stays, maybe even better off.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

NHL_Rumour_Mill
Helm ??? Fuck that, give me Brenden Smith and Gustav Nyquist.

Highly doubt it's Detroit, gotta think it's Chicago, if so, McNeill has to be part of the mix.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

darren wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: I'll take Luc Bourdon instead of Anze Kopitar anytime.........brilliant pick. :lol:.
Well, that's a little unfair. Who knows what Luc would have become?
It probably is. I believe Bourdon would have been a top 4 d-man, but Kopitar is a legit top 10 centre in the league and he's built like a tank.

It's kind of me just arguing with a certain someone who thinks that Mike Gillis is the league's worst GM . Apparently anyone who doesn't criticize EVERYTHING Gillis does is a fanboy. As I said I have carved Gillis for some shoddy drafting and poor signings. Apparently Vancouver is supposed to draft 7 NHL players every season, never get the short end of any trade, have a full stocked cupboard of prospects, rip off 7 or 8 cups in a ten year period and never make a poor signing. I'd say some people don't remember the old days but this character should. I remember being a teenager in the mid 80's and the Coliseum was half full at best.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I'd say some people don't remember the old days but this character should. I remember being a teenager in the mid 80's and the Coliseum was half full at best.
Oh B-Mac from Tri-Cities, you know I remember. The old man had 4 season tickets mid blue's centre ice, penalty box side. Good ole days of Donny Leves, Rick Blight, Dennis Ververgart, Bobby Lalonde, Claire Alexander, Bobby Manno, Michel Petit, Garth Butcher, Rick Lanz, Tiger Williams, Derek Sanderson, Toni Tanti, Petri Skriko, Patrick Sundstrum, Pit Martin, Harold Snepsts the list goes on...the legends. Parking in some slant eyes back yard for 2 bucks off of Renfrew, polyester slacks, white aphro's, fur coats, massive side burns, platform shoes, John Travolta, Nicks Spaghetti house, the Bee Gees. IROC's, REO Speedwagon, Journey, Hairy Muffs, Thai Stick, Extra Old Stock Tall boys, Molson Malt.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

NHL_Rumour_Mill
That's a good rumor to have floating around when you're trying to trade a guy. I wonder who the source in Van is? :hmmm:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
NHL_Rumour_Mill

Chicago, Detroit and Toronto are the only three that make sense. If it is Chicago or Detroit then you think Crawford or Howard would be coming back. Question is do we want either of them given that they are both starters and would not that be more of a distraction that keeping Luongo and Cory? Unless they were to trade with a team on the loosing end??
Hasn't Howard been good in Detroit's crease? And when taking an inventory of the top 30 goaltenders, Crawford has to be #31.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

This is a money quote from Friedman's 30 thoughts:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... ducks.html
6. There were a couple of teams who thought the Vancouver Canucks would have to waive Luongo before the season if they couldn't make a trade. But with a $70.2-million cap this season and $64.3 million the next, they have more room to breathe than some potential trade partners expected.
Gillis sounding so confident yesterday in regards to what he's looking for in a trade comes with good reason, Canucks have a lot of leverage, and two buy-outs next summer even allows the Canucks to trim weight elsewhere and still keep Luongo if it ever came down to that improbable eventuality.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

With both Vandermeer and Barker being signed, I wonder if Gillis is prepping a package including one of the top4. The return on a deal for Luongo and Edler would be MASSIVE...like moving from a Couturier ballpark to Giroux.

Not saying its likely, but it gives Gillis the flexibility to make a bigger trade happen.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

coco_canuck wrote: Gillis sounding so confident yesterday in regards to what he's looking for in a trade comes with good reason, Canucks have a lot of leverage, and two buy-outs next summer even allows the Canucks to trim weight elsewhere and still keep Luongo if it ever came down to that improbable eventuality.
Not to mention the 58 other buyouts in the league that may increase the possible trading partners for the Canucks in the offseason.

Right now rumours are that the leaves and Panthers are leading the way. Possibly the Flyers, Blackhawks and Capitals kicking tires.

Come the offseason, depending on how things go, we could see the leaves, Panthers, Flyers, Blackhawks, Capitals, Lightning, Devils, and even the Islanders (though the likelihood of Luo waiving to go there is slim and none IMO). Maybe more suitors.

There are going to be more goaltender needs in the offseason, without question. I'm leaning more and more towards keeping both tenders for the short season and then seeing where the buyouts put the market for Luongo.

Unless of course we get what we need right now!

Gillis is definitely in the drivers seat now.