Amnesty Buyout

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Amnesty Buyout

Post by Hockey Widow »

I was thrilled when the picked Booth up. I thought he would be the answer for our second line. Just before he was injured he began to show signs that he was indeed a great pick up. But since then he has not impressed me much. His chemistry with kesler has been abysmal to say the least. I'm still prepared to give him the balance of the season to see if he can show me something else but if what we see is indeed what we get then I'll be happy to see him go.

The good thing about the new CBA is that we do get two do overs. Whether we have the talent waiting to jump in is another matter but sooner or later we need to find out.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm willing to give Booth a mulligan and see what he can do this season, I understand his limitations, I understand his talents. I guess the forwards, after the first line seem to struggle with chemistry. I just don't see a good working relationship between Kesler and Booth. Kesler isn't your prototypical centreman, not a true set up guy, playmaker for his wingers, he plays like a winger. So, in that Booth seems lost playing with Kesler, That is why, when Raymond was playing good hockey a few seasons back and had good chemistry with Kesler, why I think Kesler and Raymond work well together cause Raymond is more of a two way playmaking winger but lately he just holds on to the puck way too long now. He can stick handle in a phone booth, sees the ice really well, but tries to do to much and ends up eventually losing the puck. Anyhow, Raymond and Booth are real factors in this team moving forward, if they both continue to struggle opposing teams really only have one line to worry about, making it difficult for this team to score and so the same old story may end up continuing, we can't score. Like I said, Raymond and Booth are very key to this team having a good season. I guess I've become pessimistic with those two but we will see.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm willing to give Booth a mulligan and see what he can do this season, I understand his limitations, I understand his talents. I guess the forwards, after the 2nd line seem to struggle with chemistry. I just don't see a good working relationship between Kesler and Booth. Kesler isn't your prototypical centreman, not a true set up guy, playmaker for his wingers, he plays like a winger. So, in that Booth seems lost playing with Kesler, That is why, when Raymond was playing good hockey a few seasons back and had good chemistry with Kesler, why I think Kesler and Raymond work well together cause Raymond is more of a two way playmaking winger but lately he just holds on to the puck way too long now. He can stick handle in a phone booth, sees the ice really well, but tries to do to much and ends up eventually losing the puck. Anyhow, Raymond and Booth are real factors in this team moving forward, if they both continue to struggle opposing teams really only have one line to worry about, making it difficult for this team to score and so the same old story may end up continuing, we can't score. Like I said, Raymond and Booth are very key to this team having a good season. I guess I've become pessimistic with those two but we will see.

I agree RD. If neither of those two give us what we need from them, then it is time to turn the page.

Maybe hanging onto Luongo until the summer, when teams can exercise their amnesty buy outs, makes sense. We certainly should have a clearer picture of what our needs will be then, and we too can exercise buy outs if we want/need to.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm willing to give Booth a mulligan and see what he can do this season, I understand his limitations, I understand his talents. I guess the forwards, after the first line seem to struggle with chemistry. I just don't see a good working relationship between Kesler and Booth. Kesler isn't your prototypical centreman, not a true set up guy, playmaker for his wingers, he plays like a winger. So, in that Booth seems lost playing with Kesler, That is why, when Raymond was playing good hockey a few seasons back and had good chemistry with Kesler, why I think Kesler and Raymond work well together cause Raymond is more of a two way playmaking winger but lately he just holds on to the puck way too long now. He can stick handle in a phone booth, sees the ice really well, but tries to do to much and ends up eventually losing the puck. Anyhow, Raymond and Booth are real factors in this team moving forward, if they both continue to struggle opposing teams really only have one line to worry about, making it difficult for this team to score and so the same old story may end up continuing, we can't score. Like I said, Raymond and Booth are very key to this team having a good season. I guess I've become pessimistic with those two but we will see.
Is that a hint of reasonableness RD? To be fair, Booth has had less than half a season and an injury coming off that concussion in Florida... The chances are what we've seen so far is not a true indication of what the guy can do....maybe a little stability is all the guy needs
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

RoyalDude wrote: The team is simply one man short every time Booth is on the ice .
In that case, Booth certainly scores a lot of shorthanded goals in spite of his limitations, doesn't he? :D

I would happily agree with buying out Booth when somebody can demonstrate how the Canucks could spend that cap space in a way that makes the team BETTER. (ie by spending it on real, actual players that the Canucks can feasibly obtain via draft/trade/free agency, not by adding the equivalent of Booth's salary in four superstar rookies on entry level contracts).
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Vader wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: I bet gillis refuses to buy out anyone, its not good for business when it comes to attracting free agents for a start.
Why? Will burying Redden in the minors adversly affect NYR from signing free agents? Will UFA's not come to MTL if/when they buy out Gomez? I highly doubt it. Players sign where the money is and where there is a chance to win. If a team buys out a player to give themselves a better shot at winning then the free agents will come.

exactly...a whore does not care if the "john" is fat,ugly and smells bad,as long as he has the ca$h...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Vader wrote:
SKYO wrote:I think MG will keep Booth for this and next season to see if he improves before writing him off.

Ray/Higgins/Manny/Ballard will be traded, not re-signed or bought out all before Booth imo.
Hey Skyo-

Those first three are all UFA's at the end of this season, so no buyout needed there. But those guys will need to be replaced so that won't likely affect Booth's situation much given that they combine to make $7.5M roughly, and likely can't be replaced any cheaper...unless Jensen and/or Gaunce can grab one of those spots

if both Jensen and Gaunce dont fill at least two of those positions it is another nail in the GMMG coffin...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Vader wrote: Hey Skyo-
Those first three are all UFA's at the end of this season, so no buyout needed there. But those guys will need to be replaced so that won't likely affect Booth's situation much given that they combine to make $7.5M roughly, and likely can't be replaced any cheaper...unless Jensen and/or Gaunce can grab one of those spots
if both Jensen and Gaunce dont fill at least two of those positions it is another nail in the GMMG coffin...
Jensen could come in next season, except AV gives rookies a hard time and not a lot of leeway/slack to develop in the big leagues.

And yeah Vader, a lot of UFA's at the end of this season.

Manny, Ray, Higgins, Lappy, Ebbett, Volpatti
Edler, Alberts

I'd hope to re-sign AE (obvious) Higgins (agreed with Tciso), and Lappy as we finally found our 4th line center after years and years of trying to find a fit, who also can spot duty on the 3rd when needed.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

SKYO wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:
Vader wrote:
Jensen could come in next season, except AV gives rookies a hard time and not a lot of leeway/slack to develop in the big leagues.

not the best way to secure a winning future...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

SKYO wrote: Jensen could come in next season, except AV gives rookies a hard time and not a lot of leeway/slack to develop in the big leagues.
Right cause heaven forbid a Cup contender make their young players earn their ice time.

:roll:

There's a long list of young players who have earned their ice time and moved their way up the lineup since AV has been the head coach. They now help form the core of this team.

The likes of Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder, Desbiens, Weise, Pinizzotto and Volpatti are being held to the same standards that those players were. Be strong defensively and earn your ice time.

Can you name one player that didn't get the ice time in Vancouver and then went to another team only to succeed?
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Aaronp18 wrote:
SKYO wrote: Can you name one player that didn't get the ice time in Vancouver and then went to another team only to succeed?

over the seasons we can name dozens...i am gonna just throw the name Cam Neely out for starters...forgot about Rick Vaive as well...i am certain that others will add to the list...Aaron please wipe GMMG's goo off your chin...its dripping...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Bill Derlago...and the beat goes on...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

:eh:

I'm confused as to which of those players played when AV was coaching?

To make things perfectly clear dog I was addressing the myth that AV gives rookies a hard time and doesn't give them the leeway to develop into NHL caliber players.

So to spell this out for you even more, name a player that wasn't given the ice time by AV as a rookie/young player that succeeded when he moved to another NHL team!
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Aaronp18 wrote::eh:

I'm confused as to which of those players played when AV was coaching?

To make things perfectly clear dog I was addressing the myth that AV gives rookies a hard time and doesn't give them the leeway to develop into NHL caliber players.

So to spell this out for you even more, name a player that wasn't given the ice time by AV as a rookie/young player that succeeded when he moved to another NHL team!

unfortunately for you i look at the whole lifetime of canuck management...i dont just cherrypick what makes them look the best...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

the Dogsalmon wrote: unfortunately for you i look at the whole lifetime of canuck management...i dont just cherrypick what makes them look the best...
Unfortunately for you, you didn't understand what I was addressing.

If you want to look at lifetime Canucks management, that has little if anything to do with today, go right ahead. However we were talking about AV and how he apparently mismanaged all these young players that went on to become NHL regulars contributing to the success of our opposition.

So I cherry picked nothing, but rather addressed the topic at hand.

Canucks History is here BTW:
http://canuckscorner.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12