So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Exactly Schneider is 26. The window that all the bed pissers are crying about stays open a bit longer with a young goalie as opposed to Roberto. If the Canucks can fandangle Jake Gardiner out of Hogtown the defence moving forward will be Edler, Gardiner, Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Corrado and Tanev. All guys between 20 and 31.

Up front if Jensen and Kassian can step up and Gaunce continues to look like a player things look ok. With Hansen an established 3rd line player , Kesler, the twins and Burrows the team will be fine up front for the next three or four seasons. Do they lack a dynamic forward in his early 20's ? Absolutely !! That said the other elements needed to continue the transition of this team going forward are there.

I'm sure the negative , pessimistic crew will not agree with any of this but hey anything short of three or four cups in a row isn't likely to please that crew.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I'm sure the negative , pessimistic crew will not agree with any of this but hey anything short of three or four cups in a row isn't likely to please that crew.
That's wouldn't suffice.

GMMG needs a perfect drafting record where no player turns out better that is drafted after our pick, he needs to win every trade like the Ehrhoff deal and get great value for every signing.

Of course if this happens there will be asterisk's on the Cup wins for various reasons, we got lucky in the draft, the teams we traded with didn't shop around for the best deal and it fell into GMMG's lap, and the free agents wanted to come to Vancouver anyways so GMMG didn't really have to do anything!
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Don't forget that Tanev doesn't count because he wasn't drafted. May as well not even list him a prospect with promise because of that.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Boston Canucker wrote: Yes, unless the deal was insanely over the top good for Schneider it has to be Luongo going. Plus, for all the talk about the window closing, with Schneids in net the team just got a lot younger, with a goalie every analyst sees as #1, at the most important position in the sport.
There are two reasons I would trade Schneider over Luongo:
1. No NTC so every team (looking at you Columbus) would be in the mix.
2. Return will probably be better because of hype and cheap contract.

If MG has a substantially better offer on the table for Schneider than what he can get for Luongo, he has to at least consider it.

(all this notwithstanding that I still think Luongo is the better goalie, but no need to go into that again :oops: )
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

ESQ wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote: Yes, unless the deal was insanely over the top good for Schneider it has to be Luongo going. Plus, for all the talk about the window closing, with Schneids in net the team just got a lot younger, with a goalie every analyst sees as #1, at the most important position in the sport.
There are two reasons I would trade Schneider over Luongo:
1. No NTC so every team (looking at you Columbus) would be in the mix.
2. Return will probably be better because of hype and cheap contract.

If MG has a substantially better offer on the table for Schneider than what he can get for Luongo, he has to at least consider it.

(all this notwithstanding that I still think Luongo is the better goalie, but no need to go into that again :oops: )
If it was a significantly better deal, maybe. In terms of who is the better goalie, it is true with CS we don't have the track record and he has never played a full season, no minor qualifiers I grant. Still, evidence from last year is that if he is not better, he's probably even, with more room to grow and I think a more even emotional register on the ice (not as many ups and downs as we've seen with RL I'd bet).
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Boston Canucker wrote:Schneids is 26 with his prime ahead of him.
Good point with Schneider's age. He's 7 years younger than Luongo. 7 years is a long time in professional sports.

I like Luongo, but man it feels like time to move on. There's not a snowball's chance in hell Schneider gets traded.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

herb wrote: I like Luongo, but man it feels like time to move on. There's not a snowball's chance in hell Schneider gets traded.
Exactly. I think Lou's mind is already elsewhere. If he doesn't go to Florida right away, chances are he'll use his "out" clause in a couple years to go there. It's too big a risk to deal Schneider, and then have Lou decide that he wants to be closer to the East-coast.

I don't think Washington gives us Carlsson.

I'm pretty sure we can get Gardiner out of Toronto. I don't think it will be with Kadri or a first, but a lot of TO fans think he's the second coming and forget what kind of goalie Luongo is. I would also kick the tires on JVR. The kid is still only 23. Went straight up for Luke Schenn, and if the story is true, we turned down Schenn for Lou. So the value must be similar.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Exactly Schneider is 26. The window that all the bed pissers are crying about stays open a bit longer with a young goalie as opposed to Roberto. If the Canucks can fandangle Jake Gardiner out of Hogtown the defence moving forward will be Edler, Gardiner, Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Corrado and Tanev. All guys between 20 and 31.

Up front if Jensen and Kassian can step up and Gaunce continues to look like a player things look ok. With Hansen an established 3rd line player , Kesler, the twins and Burrows the team will be fine up front for the next three or four seasons. Do they lack a dynamic forward in his early 20's ? Absolutely !! That said the other elements needed to continue the transition of this team going forward are there.

I'm sure the negative , pessimistic crew will not agree with any of this but hey anything short of three or four cups in a row isn't likely to please that crew.
Good call Blobby. The Canucks don't have to be Presidents trophy winners every year to be a good team. When the high-flying offense starts to dry up, they'll have to adapt the strategy a bit. It's a good thing we're getting bigger, stronger forwards. When the Sedin's start to slow down, we'll hopefully be able to play a simpler, face-smashing brand of hockey. Times change, but just because we don't have Art Ross winners on the squad doesn't make us Calgary.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Schneider will pretty much be leading the way for the next generation of the Canucks.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I would be leery of trading Luongo before season's end unless there is a very good backup on the return of the deal. A shortened season means in injuries.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:I would be leery of trading Luongo before season's end unless there is a very good backup on the return of the deal. A shortened season means in injuries.

If the offers for Luongo do not increase to at least reflect a fair market value/good hockey deal for both sides, as opposed to the lets see if we can steal Luongo for a nickel and act like we are doing the Canucks a favour, then he will be here for the season. Once the season starts it may be harder to get him to agree to waive.

Luongo wants out, we know that. He would prefer Florida or the East, we know that. But he is also fine with finishing the season here and taking one last serious run at the cup in Vancouver. Yes, he wants to be the starter but if the Canucks do not get a good offer he is resigned to the fact that he may not be dealt. He does not hate it here. He won't be a distraction. If the team is winning and has a shot to go deep, maybe a return to the Finals, he would be more than thrilled to stay.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Topper wrote:I would be leery of trading Luongo before season's end unless there is a very good backup on the return of the deal. A shortened season means in injuries.
Luongo wants out, we know that. He would prefer Florida or the East, we know that. But he is also fine with finishing the season here and taking one last serious run at the cup in Vancouver. Yes, he wants to be the starter but if the Canucks do not get a good offer he is resigned to the fact that he may not be dealt. He does not hate it here. He won't be a distraction. If the team is winning and has a shot to go deep, maybe a return to the Finals, he would be more than thrilled to stay.
That has been my interpretation as well. If rumours are true, he may have enjoyed Vancouver too much.

If a competition is allowed, it will be one hell of a fight for the starting job, but at the end of the day, I doubt either will have hard feelings towards the other about not starting.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Hockey Widow wrote:

If the offers for Luongo do not increase to at least reflect a fair market value/good hockey deal for both sides, as opposed to the lets see if we can steal Luongo for a nickel and act like we are doing the Canucks a favour, then he will be here for the season. Once the season starts it may be harder to get him to agree to waive.

Especially with Kesler out, a two-goalie lock it down team with the best 1-2 goalie tandem in the league may be the best approach to getting a decent playoff slot. If Gillis does not see the right deal - and I don't think he'll give RL away - I can more than live with the CS-RL combo, but RL will have to go in the summer. I think the team can handle it, and with RL's impressive attitude thus far, I actually think the media circus aspect is overplayed. Saying all that I just said about a potential two goalie season, my hunch is still that Gillis has something cooked up that we'll see in the next week...if so, I just hope it's more than Bozek and spare parts.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

YA Luongo is saying all the right things so far. So much so that a lot of Luongo haters from other teams are starting to like him. Maybe they are starting to like him because of his soon to not be a Canucks status. :D

But behind the scenes who knows what type of pressure Luongo and or his agent are placing to get a deal done. From what I have heard he was pretty adamant after the end of last season that he wanted a deal done. But with his family situation calming and with time to heal all wounds having somewhat passed he may have a different approach right now. I am hearing that the Luongo we see in the interviews is pretty much the same as the behind the scenes guy. He loves Vancouver and the team.

Emotional separation is important. He had that when the season ended but as he returns to camp and gets reconnected with the city and team it may be harder for him to agree to waive mid season. So I think a deal gets done quickly or not until the summer. I don't see them moving him near the trade deadline and I see him being reluctant to agreeing to that if we are in the hunt. Of course if we shit the bed and there is a media storm then he may be happy to get out of town. :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hockey Widow wrote:YA Luongo is saying all the right things so far. So much so that a lot of Luongo haters from other teams are starting to like him. Maybe they are starting to like him because of his soon to not be a Canucks status. :D
@strombone1 is likeable.

I think we can thank twitter for increasing Luos likeability factor among other fanbases. Which has increased his marketability.

Yeah twitter!
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Topper wrote:If a competition is allowed, it will be one hell of a fight for the starting job, but at the end of the day, I doubt either will have hard feelings towards the other about not starting.
My worry is AV, who has shown repeatedly that he plays favourites. It wasn't like RL spent long periods on the bench while CS got game after game after game. 2 games in the LA series does not indicate AV has more faith in Schneids. It says to me "What have I got to lose? Might as well give the kid some experience. Nobody comes back from 3-0 down, and if he does, we're in the second round!"

What if he still prefers Roberto and gives Corey less games? Then we've lost RL and Corey's pissed at the coach.

Ooops.