Brian Burke is Dead!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Brian Burke is Dead!

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:
BurningBeard wrote: Is it hysteria? Because I've heard there's a good technique that helps with that...
Are batteries provided?
...I don't need batteries. :wink:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:Burke was convinced that the new CBA would be far more punitive on the back diving deals. He had lobbied that the cap recapture on players retiring early be 100% and was convinced that that was what was going to go through. He had also asked for additional penalties of loss of a draft pick or draft pick compensation.
That would have been a huge kick in the balls. I can not even believe that was being discussed as a possibility.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The smaller the batteries, the more hysterical it becomes.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

Thank you Widow, you're beautiful! 8-)

Still waiting for you to ask me out!

i cant believe the cheap bastard wont even throw a double cheeseburger your way...
You think I flip burgers like you toss salads?

Be respectful son, there is a lady present

H is lobster sandwich all the waaaaaaay...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

BurningBeard wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Burke was convinced that the new CBA would be far more punitive on the back diving deals. He had lobbied that the cap recapture on players retiring early be 100% and was convinced that that was what was going to go through. He had also asked for additional penalties of loss of a draft pick or draft pick compensation.
That would have been a huge kick in the balls. I can not even believe that was being discussed as a possibility.
His MoJo is dead :(
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Wouldn't it be funny if one day it was discovered that Hockey Widow is a medicated schizo, hospital shut-in lunatic given access to a computer and is a big Canuck fan and all this stuff she goes on about is a fabrication of her paranoid, delusional mind.
You mean we're all not in Essendale? :eh:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... sonal.html

Timing right out of Bizarro World

If MLSE planned this out well in advance, the timing makes absolutely zero sense. It is right out of Bizarro World for Burke to be a part of CBA negotiations if this is what the organization wanted to do.

What could have happened? Burke and his staff attended Tuesday night's AHL game between their Toronto Marlies and the Hamilton Bulldogs. After the game, his travel plans to New York City were intact.

He never made the flight.
Nonuts' deer-in-the-headlights look when asked if Burke's firing had anything to do with a possible Luongo trade = :lol:

And his response: "We never discuss pending transactions."

LOL at how much Luongo's value has shot up in a single day!

I was worried when TO fired Burkie, but now I remember: Nonis is even worse!! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Poll, started today:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1319483

45% of Leafers figure Lu Wongo is headed for the Centre of the Universe.

For months, the most these fans were willing to give up was Bozak + 2nd

.... now they're stomping their feet about potentially giving up Gardiner + Kadri (as per the rumours)

.... but more of them are penciling in Lu as their starter than ever before!!

AHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Lu to the Panthers for Bjugstad. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

lets just hope Gillis doesnt fuck this one up like most of his other moves...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

LOL.....speaking of Essondale, the Blobcat used to work at Giggle Mountain Hideaway part time in 88 while I was a punk assed 18 year old kid going to Douglas. It was a position in the Custodial Arts field and it provided me with some good fucking laughs. Wheelchair races with co workers in the basement of Valleyview and the side bets on them.

One time I came into work hung to the nuts and let a patient out of his room at Eastlawn. He said he had to go take a dump , so seeing as I had a master key and wasn't really thinking straight I let the guy out. An hour later the cops are up there wondering who let him out....he was directing traffic buck naked on the Lougheed Hwy.

Another time and surprise surprise, I was hungover again and mopping the dayroom at Eastlawn when a patient comes toward me giggling and blowing snot all over the floor I just mopped. This dude was about 6ft 5 and looked scary as fuck. He is laughing and blowing loogies all over the place and continuing to walk toward me. I stumble backwards and knock a full five gallon pail of soapy water all over the place. What a fucking mess. Took me an hour to clean it up and by that time all the patients on that ward were all milling around. We were supposed to be done before any of them got into the dayroom. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I both like and admire BB. His hockey trades are risky but got us the Sedins. I feel less happy about the Kessel trade but not as unhappy as I was with the Neely trade. THey all make good and bad trades.

I suppose his value as a human being may not be relevant but I did admire the way he handled his son's death and his son's choice of sexual identity. I also like he is straight up and seems solid.

I think MG has a better sense of the game but he is not as much fun as BB
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

damonberryman wrote:I both like and admire BB. His hockey trades are risky but got us the Sedins. I feel less happy about the Kessel trade but not as unhappy as I was with the Neely trade. THey all make good and bad trades.

I suppose his value as a human being may not be relevant but I did admire the way he handled his son's death and his son's choice of sexual identity. I also like he is straight up and seems solid.

I think MG has a better sense of the game but he is not as much fun as BB
Just ask yourself a question, who would you rather have as your team's GM? MG or BB? I would definitely take MG over BB any time. The team needs a GM who knows the game, not a clown in front of the media...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leaves/art ... -franchise

A few reporters asked leaves captain Dion Phaneuf for his reaction to the firing of Brian Burke. Phaneuf stared into the mountain of cameras and spoke.

“I was definitely shocked,” he said. “That’s the biggest word I could use to describe it.”

Really, Mr. Phaneuf? You were just asked to relay your feelings about the professional demise of a man who bestowed on you the 18th captaincy of the Toronto Maple leaves — a man who held your on-ice abilities in delusional esteem — and the biggest word you can come up with is seven letters long? Can you confirm this is precisely how you feel?

“Shocked,” Phaneuf said again not long after.

He was robot-talking his way through Take 2 of the same script.

“As I said, that’s the biggest word I could use to describe it.”

As Phaneuf resaid those words and an army of reporters tried hard not to roll their eyes, a couple of things were abundantly clear. One, just because Burke once spotted the big defenceman a “C” doesn’t mean he’ll be winning a team Scrabble tournament any time soon. And two, now that Burke’s force-of-nature media presence is no longer around to command the Toronto spotlight — at least not after Saturday morning’s Air Canada Centre press conference at which the ex-GM is scheduled to appear — Phaneuf isn’t exactly the favourite to fill the void as the franchise’s new face.

Certainly Phaneuf can’t be blamed for being miscast. It’s not his fault he landed the job of team leader without doing anything much to deserve it some 26 games into his Toronto tenure. It’s not Phaneuf’s fault that when Burke occasionally tried to convince people he hadn’t made a mistake appointing Phaneuf captain of the leaves. The best Burke could ever come up with was to praise Phaneuf for commandeering the volume knob on the dressing room stereo. Yzerman-esque, indeed.

It’s not Phaneuf’s fault ex-leaves coach Ron Wilson made sports-comedy history last year by anointing him the best defenceman in the league “by a country mile.” It’s also not his fault he’s been thrust into the centre of the game’s biggest media horde without the particular gift for seeming real and believable.

Seriously though, just watching Phaneuf play the game of hockey for too long can lower one's IQ...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Don't know if this has been replayed enough yet but Ferraro laughing at Phaneufs' squeeky little voice is timeless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... PimLc42EGk

PS-cant figure out how to paste the video directly onto the page! Sorry
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^ Yup, even his VOICE is stupid! :drink:

BTW wots the deal with Elisha Cuthbert being attracted to rich DUMB hockey players?

Avery = Dumb, Phaneuf = Dumber.

And "Phaneuf"??

LOL stupid... STUPID... name!!

THANK YOU Burkie for making this SCHMUCK the captain of the Toronto Maple Leaves!!
____
Try to focus on someday.