So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby coco_canuck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 am

dbr wrote:I would bet Gillis is pushing for John Carlson like he did when shopping Hodgson.. Or if he is asking for a centre like many have speculated the Caps might have decided they don't have the organizational depth (just Backstrom and Johannsen after this season if I'm not mistaken) to make a serious push.

But then again maybe they are interested and are keeping a low profile. I'm sure that couldn't hurt their chances when dealing with Mike Gillis.


Like Tant, I can't imagine the Capitals are so set on Holtby and Neuvirth that they have no interest in Luongo. Maybe since Holtby was good in the playoffs and has been good in the minors, they have more faith in him than say Toronto has in Reimer. But I'd be surprised if they weren't at least somewhat in the Luongo talks.

As for Washington's C depth, I think they're pretty deep even if Ribero doesn't re-up since Laich is a C who can play wing that is likely going to flank one of the top two lines. Then M. Perrault is their 4th line C, and he's locked up for a couple more years.

Then you have prospects like Filip Forsberg, Stoa and Sjogren the Caps are very to somewhat high on that can all play C.

Now, I'm not sure the Caps would even move Johansson in a trade for Luongo, but that would obviously be the main target. But they also have a winger prospect named Tom Wilson that I really like. A big power forward with a mean streak and a right handed shot.

As for defence, I don't think Carlson is going anywhere, but Karl Alzner is RFA and the caps might not be as reluctant to move him.


Also, thanks HW for the update in the Burke thread, I actually found the bit about MG being willing to add something other than Luongo to get a better deal to be important new information.

Given the rumor that Gillis is asking for the moon for Luo, it seems that MG is set dead straight on acquiring a top prospect/young player or two.

I don't think Gillis will include someone like Kassian, Gaunce, Jensen, Tanev or Corrado, but I wouldn't in the least be surprised if Connauton and/or any other Canucks prospect or draft picks were added in order for the Canucks to land a stud prospect/young player who can be groomed to be a front-line forward or a premiere defenseman.

The Luongo deal might be the only chance the Canucks have to add a budding star player unless they decide to move another major core piece, so having to sweeten the pot a bit to get something great is only prudent.
User avatar
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:05 am

dbr wrote:I would bet Gillis is pushing for John Carlson like he did when shopping Hodgson.. Or if he is asking for a centre like many have speculated the Caps might have decided they don't have the organizational depth (just Backstrom and Johannsen after this season if I'm not mistaken) to make a serious push.

But then again maybe they are interested and are keeping a low profile. I'm sure that couldn't hurt their chances when dealing with Mike Gillis.



You make a good point about the low profile. The MG era is one of using dis-information and rumour to try and fly under the radar about what he is really up to. I always have the feeling that what we hear from the Canucks through the back door is really deliberately leaked information, which may or may not be true.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4219
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby SKYO » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:21 am

coco_canuck wrote:I don't think Gillis will include someone like Kassian, Gaunce, Jensen, Tanev or Corrado, but I wouldn't in the least be surprised if Connauton and/or any other Canucks prospect or draft picks were added in order for the Canucks to land a stud prospect/young player who can be groomed to be a front-line forward or a premiere defenseman.

The Luongo deal might be the only chance the Canucks have to add a budding star player unless they decide to move another major core piece, so having to sweeten the pot a bit to get something great is only prudent.


Yeah I can see decent prospects like Rodin, Schroeder, Suave or K-Con being included to get a good deal done.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby dbr » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:51 am

coco_canuck wrote:Like Tant, I can't imagine the Capitals are so set on Holtby and Neuvirth that they have no interest in Luongo. Maybe since Holtby was good in the playoffs and has been good in the minors, they have more faith in him than say Toronto has in Reimer. But I'd be surprised if they weren't at least somewhat in the Luongo talks.


Yeah, McPhee wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least find out the asking price.

As for Washington's C depth, I think they're pretty deep even if Ribero doesn't re-up since Laich is a C who can play wing that is likely going to flank one of the top two lines. Then M. Perrault is their 4th line C, and he's locked up for a couple more years.

Then you have prospects like Filip Forsberg, Stoa and Sjogren the Caps are very to somewhat high on that can all play C.


Good thing I said "if I remember correctly," obviously I did not.. jeez that's a lot of players. I completely forgot about Perrault and Stoa. I thought they preferred Laich at the wing and I didn't even know Forsberg played anywhere else.

As for defence, I don't think Carlson is going anywhere, but Karl Alzner is RFA and the caps might not be as reluctant to move him.


Yeah even if not Alzner they might think about moving Dmitri Orlov who has high end offensive ability. That and a couple of other interesting assets might be enough to catch Mike Gillis' ear.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2554
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby coco_canuck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:05 pm

dbr wrote:Good thing I said "if I remember correctly," obviously I did not.. jeez that's a lot of players. I completely forgot about Perrault and Stoa. I thought they preferred Laich at the wing and I didn't even know Forsberg played anywhere else.


I had to do some research and found that Forsberg plays both wing and C, and that for the moment they like Laich on the wing, but they use him in all three forward positions quite regularly.

Still, I don't know if they'd want to move Johansson, but if they for some reason did, they do have other viable options for this season and the future.

dbr wrote:Yeah even if not Alzner they might think about moving Dmitri Orlov who has high end offensive ability. That and a couple of other interesting assets might be enough to catch Mike Gillis' ear.


Yeah, the Caps have some solid NHL players that could help the Canucks, and their young players/prospects are very also desirable.

Even if they don't add Luongo, they strike me as a team that will make a major move at some point this year. They're close to contending, they have cap space and lots of assets. Definitely a team to watch on the trade front.
User avatar
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby SKYO » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:00 pm

coco_canuck wrote:Still, I don't know if they'd want to move Johansson, but if they for some reason did, they do have other viable options for this season and the future.

Yeah, the Caps have some solid NHL players that could help the Canucks, and their young players/prospects are very also desirable.

Even if they don't add Luongo, they strike me as a team that will make a major move at some point this year. They're close to contending, they have cap space and lots of assets. Definitely a team to watch on the trade front.

Ovechkin and Luongo leading the Caps could be a formidable combo to revitalize their team.

Doubt Carlson is available at any price, however I can bet Johansson being at the top of MG's list from Washington after JC.

I prefer our 2nd line to get a quality scorer from the eventual RL trade, to help out RK17 and help relieve some pressure for our top line, as evidence by other teams shutting the twins down our offensive attack gets pretty weak.

Raymond, Booth, Higgins don't strike me as game breakers/clutch performers come the playoffs, sure they are great support and add good depth, but they are not dominant take the bull by the horns type of players by any means.

Johansson can finally bring some playmaking/vision/passing abilities to Kesler's and Booth's straight attack the net and shoot skill set.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:27 pm

dbr wrote:I would bet Gillis is pushing for John Carlson like he did when shopping Hodgson.. Or if he is asking for a centre like many have speculated the Caps might have decided they don't have the organizational depth (just Backstrom and Johannsen after this season if I'm not mistaken) to make a serious push.

But then again maybe they are interested and are keeping a low profile. I'm sure that couldn't hurt their chances when dealing with Mike Gillis.


I like Carlson, DanBobRob, but I would rather Marcus Johansson instead, the player we should have drafted instead of Schroeder. A perfect fit for our 3rd line centre.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4569
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby dbr » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:07 am

You think a perfect fit for our third line would be more important than a right shooting defenseman with all the tools to be a star?

I realize Johannsen could be a top six guy one day but Carlson could be one of the best players on his team.. And the kind of guy you can't really trade for.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2554
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:59 am

dbr wrote:You think a perfect fit for our third line would be more important than a right shooting defenseman with all the tools to be a star?

I realize Johannsen could be a top six guy one day but Carlson could be one of the best players on his team.. And the kind of guy you can't really trade for.



I'm not digging your scene DanBobRob, trust me, I like Carlson. Highly doubt they trade him...that being said, the centre position on this team is not good at the momment. Who knows when Kesler will be ready and we have no fucking decent 2nd line wingers who can take up the slack, and pulllleeeease do not mention Raymond, Booth, Higgins, Hansen, Lapierre, Kassian. We have a first line, a mish mash of players of 3rd and 4th line calibre. I think we have a formidable top 4 defense and then you can throw in Tanev and, hate to say it, Ballard in the 6th spot. Our 2nd line is a fucking mess and no decent centre at the momment. Ebbett and Schroeder ain't cuttin' the mustard. Not saying that Johansson is 2nd line material, but he put up very good numbers for a guy the same age as Schroeder with the Capitals last season behind the likes of Backstrom etc. Good size, good two way play. What's not to like?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4569
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby damonberryman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:02 am

Zedlee wrote:


Which is why we should be trading Schneider. Lou has a lot of good hockey left in him, enough hockey to work on the NEXT goalie prospect.[/quote]

I used to think trading Schneids was a dumb idea, but I'm coming around to the idea. The return for Cory should be an excellent young dman or forward...and we need those.[/quote]

I got to agree about Schnieds. We will get some high value for him and Lou is still top ten.
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 am

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby damonberryman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:11 am

Perhaps the best way to get value for Lou is draft choices. We need to stock up and this upcoming draft is being touted as the best and deepest in some time. I like the idea of Columbas giving us their first overall pick as I think they will finish low. Same for Toronto. We can trade for a second center with Arnott until Kes comes back. We need high picks.
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 am

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:28 am

Oh gee we can throw Ballard in the 6th spot.........no shit Sherlock.

BTW Booth and Higgins are 40 point guys which puts them right in the fucking middle of the pack as far as production goes. Is it an ideal line with Kesler ??? I honestly don't know because they never played together when they were all healthy , so I'd like to give them that opportunity. It's hilarious to see all the bed pissers jump up and down . The CBA still needs to be ratified but these clowns want moves made now.

As for trading Schneider, pull your head out. Luongo has had umpteen chances to win in the playoffs and its best that he move on for all parties. His heart isn't in it here.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Jovocop » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:12 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:As for trading Schneider, pull your head out. Luongo has had umpteen chances to win in the playoffs and its best that he move on for all parties. His heart isn't in it here.


Agreed. If all the rumours are true, Luongo wants to be close to his wife and families in the East. It is not a matter which goalie yields a better return. It is a matter of making everyone happy in the organization.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby herb » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:16 am

Jovocop wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:As for trading Schneider, pull your head out. Luongo has had umpteen chances to win in the playoffs and its best that he move on for all parties. His heart isn't in it here.


Agreed. If all the rumours are true, Luongo wants to be close to his wife and families in the East. It is not a matter which goalie yields a better return. It is a matter of making everyone happy in the organization.


Exactly.

Plus, if all of the rumours are true that Luongo wants out, and we trade Schneider, Luongo could request a trade in two years when he is contractually permitted to demand a trade out of town. Then where would we be? Up shit creek without a goalie.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Boston Canucker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:42 am

herb wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:As for trading Schneider, pull your head out. Luongo has had umpteen chances to win in the playoffs and its best that he move on for all parties. His heart isn't in it here.


Agreed. If all the rumours are true, Luongo wants to be close to his wife and families in the East. It is not a matter which goalie yields a better return. It is a matter of making everyone happy in the organization.


Exactly.

Plus, if all of the rumours are true that Luongo wants out, and we trade Schneider, Luongo could request a trade in two years when he is contractually permitted to demand a trade out of town. Then where would we be? Up shit creek without a goalie.


Yes, unless the deal was insanely over the top good for Schneider it has to be Luongo going. Plus, for all the talk about the window closing, with Schneids in net the team just got a lot younger, with a goalie every analyst sees as #1, at the most important position in the sport. You got the goaler, you got a shot, we all know that. Schneids is 26 with his prime ahead of him...I like Lu, but yes, he had his shot to win the Cup, didn't happen, time to get what we can for him - hopefully something good - and move forward.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 am

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], rats19 and 3 guests