Brian Burke is Dead!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Brian Burke is Dead!

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:Now having said that, if Nonis has a boner for Luongo and Burke was pissing around due to the contract and feeling he had MG over a barrel, then Nonis does the deal.
There's a lot of imagery in this sentence... I'm not sure where to go with this, but I feel very uncomfortable.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

per Mark Spector: Brian Burke was unwilling to make the Luongo trade. His inner circle wanted it. Nonis will try to make it happen. #leaves

https://twitter.com/ArashMadani
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

paddy wrote:per Mark Spector: Brian Burke was unwilling to make the Luongo trade. His inner circle wanted it. Nonis will try to make it happen. #leaves

https://twitter.com/ArashMadani
Wow - that's a great rumor to have floating around while you're trying to get a deal done. Good luck Nonis.

Edit: It's being rumored (by Bob McCown) the deal he wouldnt do was Kadri and Gardiner.
Last edited by BurningBeard on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Watching TSN clips of this firing is hilarious. For some of them, it's like they are dealing with a death in the family. Dreger has his cousin in the chair now, and he's already tweeting leaves propoganda. I thought James Duthie was going to cry. Aaron Ward is the only one making sense, and they are talking to him like he's just farted in the elevator.
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

Hockey Widow wrote:Now having said that, if Nonis has a boner for Luongo and Burke was pissing around due to the contract and feeling he had MG over a barrel, then Nonis does the deal. But personally I think Luongo is not the reason, he may be the final nail, or not, but I really believe he just didn't fit with new ownership. One of the things IS new ownership wants more direct involvement in hockey matters and no way Burke was gonna give that.
It is both obvious and "ethnocentric" for Vancouverites to link Burke with the Luongo trade. Kind of too obvious. Then again, what keeps me wondering is the timing. Why dump Burke just now? The timing seems to fit pretty well the Luongo saga and its presumed ending, i.e. before the season starts. Be it Nonis, be it ownership - it seems logical that someone has less hesitations than Burke and is willing to pull the trigger. Which could be interesting for us.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Zedlee wrote:Dude...your topic headline is totally inappropriate. Mods...I can't believe you let this headline go through.

Quite the development. Hope this helps trade Luongo to them.
Did u take it in its literal sense Zedlee....silly boy:)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Dreger, who has to be happier than a pig in shit now that Nonis is GM of the center of the universe, is saying he talked to Nonis and Nonis confirmed goaltending was a big issue.

Pretty much everyone confirming that the Luongo situation played at least some role in why the timing was now.

Gardiner and Kadri would be a great trade. Well you could leave off Kadri and I'd be happy. In fact I might be happier if you did leave him off. With Gardiner do you move Edler for a Bobby Ryan?

ooooo proper hockey talk.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

rats19 wrote:
Zedlee wrote:Dude...your topic headline is totally inappropriate. Mods...I can't believe you let this headline go through.

Yup...thought he was literally dead...dead means dead. I'm sure I"m not the only one who thought that. Anyway...Burke isn't even "dead" as an executive...he is still with the leaves as an advisor.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:
HELLO Mr Gardiner! :D
Welcome, Mr Chance?

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Well here we are, at long last, 'hockey talk'!

I tend to get moved by the human side of people's stories and so I feel kind of feel bad for Burkie (especially since he lost his son two years ago now). Having said that, I could just imagine he must really set himself up sometimes with how he operates. This firing likely represents the end of Burke's involvement with anything meaningful in the NHL. It's kind of amusing though how the same kind of dynamic (but different) played itself out here (Burke being canned for Nonis' emergence), and here we see it play out all over again.

On another note, I find it surprising how people tend to be so anti-Nonis in their sentiment!? I still believe that he laid the ground work for Gillis to come in here and move fwd with a championship calibre team. If indeed he acquires Luongo, he will almost be assuring that the leaves will make a playoff appearance; his tenure will then be assured for awhile into the future.

Curious, does being a part of a winning culture set the fans up to become arrogant ?
cc oldtimer
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

As much as I think this means the leaves will be hot and hungry after Lu, I ha be to wonder if Nonis is able to pull the trigger. He sure didn't have any balls when he was in Van, the first Lu trade aside which was really a no brainer.

I do expect Lu to be a Leaf in the next week or so and will be happy to move on. I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of all the shit that's gone along with the Lu trade.

Good to have hockey back.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Zedlee wrote:
rats19 wrote:

Yup...thought he was literally dead...dead means dead. I'm sure I"m not the only one who thought that. Anyway...Burke isn't even "dead" as an executive...he is still with the leaves as an advisor.
He's moved to a higher place.

I hope this has more to do with incompetence than style.

He played by his own rules not the terms of the CBA and it hampered his team.

His refusal to submit an offer sheet was the cause of the Kessel over payment. He refused long term deals and it cost him goaltending.

You could say the only trade that has worked for him was Lupul.

He stubbornly hung onto Wilson when clearly the players had tuned him out.

If that is what Rodgers/Bell saw and could not continue with great.

If he was fired because he's a bombastic blowhard, that is just sad.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Zedlee wrote:
rats19 wrote:

well then I am dead in the water...you are dead on....

unbeing dead isnt being alive...e.e. cummings
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Diehard1 wrote:As much as I think this means the leaves will be hot and hungry after Lu, I ha be to wonder if Nonis is able to pull the trigger. He sure didn't have any balls when he was in Van, the first Lu trade aside which was really a no brainer.

I do expect Lu to be a Leaf in the next week or so and will be happy to move on. I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of all the shit that's gone along with the Lu trade.

Good to have hockey back.
The leaves have to make the trade for Luo, just as they had to make the Kessel trade. Like it or not, they are a marquee market and make a lot of money on merchandise and TV/radio.

It's doesn't matter that they don't make the playoffs, it only matters that they perceive that they try...Roberto gives them that credibility.

With Bell & Rogers the two media whores it's even more important. This is not a hockey move.
For ButtChrists sake...this is a business you mutts...act that way

Zeedslurp...you're dead to me...stop sending me messages that you want to date...I'm not that kind of girl... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Brian Burke is Alive!

Post by Arachnid »

rats19 wrote:
Zedlee wrote:
rats19 wrote: Quite the development. Hope this helps trade Luongo to them.
well then I am dead in the water...you are dead on....

unbeing dead isnt being alive...e.e. cummings[/quote]

May I feel said mEE?

You're Cumming said she!

^^^^^

I fixed it Rat-a-tat-tat :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)