GMMG Speaks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GMMG Speaks

Post by Canuck-One »

" We have always planned ahead for every possible scenario and we are well positioned for this new CBA. We don't have cap problems now and don't anticipate any next year."
I love this line. We all seem to panic over what would have to happen with a lowered cap and MG says, no problem already taken care of.
Thanks for this report HW.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Would you expect him to come out and say "we're screwed"?

While I am definitely one of those who believe our window is closing fast with things seemingly pointing in the wrong direction, I know that a few shrewd moves can keep the window open a few years longer. Question is, is MG capable of pulling off such moves? We'll see..but the moves management makes in the next two, three years will be most critical for the next ten years of this team.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Play hasn't even begun and yet the groin pulls have.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Vancouver's best players are between 26 and 32..... not sure how the window is closing fast. They do however need Alex Edler's name on a contract by July 1.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Vancouver's best players are between 26 and 32..... not sure how the window is closing fast. They do however need Alex Edler's name on a contract by July 1.
I didn't say closed but closing as we still have a shot this year if injuries and the long layoff don't prove to be as costly as it could turn out. After this year is when the slide might begin, especially now that we know of the cap situation next year. It's going to take some creative work and number crunching to keep that core of 26 to 32 together. It's possible with the buyout situation but we'll likely have to lose a big piece and that could very well be Edler. This defence is already lacking a stud and without Edler, yikes.

Nevertheless for me it's less about the age thing you speak of. I just feel with every year that passes and the job doesn't get done, the sooner the core players will lose belief that this team is destined to win it all and that will not only reflect in their game but may also affect their desire to stay. The snowball effect is it becomes harder to attract UFA's if you're looking to retool. Good examples are the Sens and the Sharks. When the Sens lost in the Finals they were far from over the hill and looked to challenge for the Cup the next five years, yet dropped like a bolder within a couple. And the Sharks..while they're known to be playoff chokers and I'd like to think we're a step above them they've never looked more dishevelled than in last year's playoffs..as if they knew that was it for that group. The sad thing is their core players aren't that much older than ours. I think this window thing has a lot more to do than with age alone.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Window closed when the team shit the bed in game seven AT HOME against Boston. The rest has been a pipe dream... The team had its shot and lost. Jesus, Flames fan's still think they have a contending team after the 04 finals.

Holy crap??? Was that really 9 years ago? Time, its a mother fucker!

We'll get another shot around 2025. :drink:

And that's the truth...
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
JonT21
CC Veteran

Post by JonT21 »

ODB wrote:Window closed when the team shit the bed in game seven AT HOME against Boston. The rest has been a pipe dream... The team had its shot and lost. Jesus, Flames fan's still think they have a contending team after the 04 finals.

And that's the truth...
Seeing teams like Phoenix and New jersey getting as far as they did last year and LA being 8th seed winning the cup convinced me that as long as you make the playoffs you will have a great chance of going all the way no matter what team you are

Age does not matter as long as you can perform in the clutch.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

JonT21 wrote:
ODB wrote:Window closed when the team shit the bed in game seven AT HOME against Boston. The rest has been a pipe dream... The team had its shot and lost. Jesus, Flames fan's still think they have a contending team after the 04 finals.

And that's the truth...
Seeing teams like Phoenix and New jersey getting as far as they did last year and LA being 8th seed winning the cup convinced me that as long as you make the playoffs you will have a great chance of going all the way no matter what team you are

And have a coach who can actually adjust to his opponent.....
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

JonT21 wrote: Age does not matter as long as you can perform in the clutch.
There in lies the problem. This group lacks enough players you can count on to perform in the clutch...at least consistently. Actually if we got it from one particular individual while the window was open the past half decade, mission would've been accomplished.

Then I suppose you could say it should give us reason for hope that the window stays open longer knowing we're replacing him with a younger version, minus the history/baggage.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote:
JonT21 wrote:

And that's the truth...

I have said it before and I will say it again, as long as AV is coach this team will never win the cup.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote:
Mëds wrote: And have a coach who can actually adjust to his opponent.....
I have said it before and I will say it again, as long as AV is coach this team will never win the cup.
LOL, what, now he doesn't change his line combos often enough for you?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Mëds wrote: And have a coach who can actually adjust to his opponent.....
LOL, what, now he doesn't change his line combos often enough for you?
No - it is not one thing, it is how he manages games/series and has no answer when the wheels fall off the bus. I know it does not all fall on AV but as the #1 coach it is his job to do some adjustments of the game within the game and he does not do a good job of it.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Mëds wrote:
JonT21 wrote:

And that's the truth...

And have a team that can score more than 8 goals in a 7 game series, let along 1 goal in game 7 of a SCF.