GMMG Speaks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: GMMG Speaks

Postby Canuck-One » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:48 am

" We have always planned ahead for every possible scenario and we are well positioned for this new CBA. We don't have cap problems now and don't anticipate any next year."
I love this line. We all seem to panic over what would have to happen with a lowered cap and MG says, no problem already taken care of.
Thanks for this report HW.
User avatar
Canuck-One
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:49 am
Location: Moving to Blackfalds

Re: GMMG Speaks

Postby Nuckertuzzi » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:19 am

Would you expect him to come out and say "we're screwed"?

While I am definitely one of those who believe our window is closing fast with things seemingly pointing in the wrong direction, I know that a few shrewd moves can keep the window open a few years longer. Question is, is MG capable of pulling off such moves? We'll see..but the moves management makes in the next two, three years will be most critical for the next ten years of this team.
Nuckertuzzi
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: GMMG Speaks

Postby Topper » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:01 am

Play hasn't even begun and yet the groin pulls have.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 4266
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: GMMG Speaks

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:21 am

Vancouver's best players are between 26 and 32..... not sure how the window is closing fast. They do however need Alex Edler's name on a contract by July 1.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2767
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: GMMG Speaks

Postby Nuckertuzzi » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Vancouver's best players are between 26 and 32..... not sure how the window is closing fast. They do however need Alex Edler's name on a contract by July 1.


I didn't say closed but closing as we still have a shot this year if injuries and the long layoff don't prove to be as costly as it could turn out. After this year is when the slide might begin, especially now that we know of the cap situation next year. It's going to take some creative work and number crunching to keep that core of 26 to 32 together. It's possible with the buyout situation but we'll likely have to lose a big piece and that could very well be Edler. This defence is already lacking a stud and without Edler, yikes.

Nevertheless for me it's less about the age thing you speak of. I just feel with every year that passes and the job doesn't get done, the sooner the core players will lose belief that this team is destined to win it all and that will not only reflect in their game but may also affect their desire to stay. The snowball effect is it becomes harder to attract UFA's if you're looking to retool. Good examples are the Sens and the Sharks. When the Sens lost in the Finals they were far from over the hill and looked to challenge for the Cup the next five years, yet dropped like a bolder within a couple. And the Sharks..while they're known to be playoff chokers and I'd like to think we're a step above them they've never looked more dishevelled than in last year's playoffs..as if they knew that was it for that group. The sad thing is their core players aren't that much older than ours. I think this window thing has a lot more to do than with age alone.
Nuckertuzzi
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: GMMG Speaks

Postby ODB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Window closed when the team shit the bed in game seven AT HOME against Boston. The rest has been a pipe dream... The team had its shot and lost. Jesus, Flames fan's still think they have a contending team after the 04 finals.

Holy crap??? Was that really 9 years ago? Time, its a mother fucker!

We'll get another shot around 2025. :drink:

And that's the truth...
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
User avatar
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:13 pm

Re: GMMG Speaks

Postby JonT21 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 am

ODB wrote:Window closed when the team shit the bed in game seven AT HOME against Boston. The rest has been a pipe dream... The team had its shot and lost. Jesus, Flames fan's still think they have a contending team after the 04 finals.

Holy crap??? Was that really 9 years ago? Time, its a mother fucker!

We'll get another shot around 2025. :drink:

And that's the truth...

Seeing teams like Phoenix and New jersey getting as far as they did last year and LA being 8th seed winning the cup convinced me that as long as you make the playoffs you will have a great chance of going all the way no matter what team you are

Age does not matter as long as you can perform in the clutch.
User avatar
JonT21
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:24 pm

Re: GMMG Speaks

Postby Meds » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:01 am

JonT21 wrote:
ODB wrote:Window closed when the team shit the bed in game seven AT HOME against Boston. The rest has been a pipe dream... The team had its shot and lost. Jesus, Flames fan's still think they have a contending team after the 04 finals.

Holy crap??? Was that really 9 years ago? Time, its a mother fucker!

We'll get another shot around 2025. :drink:

And that's the truth...

Seeing teams like Phoenix and New jersey getting as far as they did last year and LA being 8th seed winning the cup convinced me that as long as you make the playoffs you will have a great chance of going all the way no matter what team you are

Age does not matter as long as you can perform in the clutch.


And have a coach who can actually adjust to his opponent.....
User avatar
Meds
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2758
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: GMMG Speaks

Postby Nuckertuzzi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:16 am

JonT21 wrote:Age does not matter as long as you can perform in the clutch.


There in lies the problem. This group lacks enough players you can count on to perform in the clutch...at least consistently. Actually if we got it from one particular individual while the window was open the past half decade, mission would've been accomplished.

Then I suppose you could say it should give us reason for hope that the window stays open longer knowing we're replacing him with a younger version, minus the history/baggage.
Nuckertuzzi
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: GMMG Speaks

Postby Reefer2 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 am

Meds wrote:
JonT21 wrote:
ODB wrote:Window closed when the team shit the bed in game seven AT HOME against Boston. The rest has been a pipe dream... The team had its shot and lost. Jesus, Flames fan's still think they have a contending team after the 04 finals.

Holy crap??? Was that really 9 years ago? Time, its a mother fucker!

We'll get another shot around 2025. :drink:

And that's the truth...

Seeing teams like Phoenix and New jersey getting as far as they did last year and LA being 8th seed winning the cup convinced me that as long as you make the playoffs you will have a great chance of going all the way no matter what team you are

Age does not matter as long as you can perform in the clutch.


And have a coach who can actually adjust to his opponent.....


I have said it before and I will say it again, as long as AV is coach this team will never win the cup.
User avatar
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: GMMG Speaks

Postby Topper » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:34 am

Reefer2 wrote:
Meds wrote:And have a coach who can actually adjust to his opponent.....


I have said it before and I will say it again, as long as AV is coach this team will never win the cup.

LOL, what, now he doesn't change his line combos often enough for you?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 4266
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: GMMG Speaks

Postby Reefer2 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:25 am

Topper wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Meds wrote:And have a coach who can actually adjust to his opponent.....


I have said it before and I will say it again, as long as AV is coach this team will never win the cup.

LOL, what, now he doesn't change his line combos often enough for you?


No - it is not one thing, it is how he manages games/series and has no answer when the wheels fall off the bus. I know it does not all fall on AV but as the #1 coach it is his job to do some adjustments of the game within the game and he does not do a good job of it.
User avatar
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: GMMG Speaks

Postby vic » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Meds wrote:
JonT21 wrote:
ODB wrote:Window closed when the team shit the bed in game seven AT HOME against Boston. The rest has been a pipe dream... The team had its shot and lost. Jesus, Flames fan's still think they have a contending team after the 04 finals.

Holy crap??? Was that really 9 years ago? Time, its a mother fucker!

We'll get another shot around 2025. :drink:

And that's the truth...

Seeing teams like Phoenix and New jersey getting as far as they did last year and LA being 8th seed winning the cup convinced me that as long as you make the playoffs you will have a great chance of going all the way no matter what team you are

Age does not matter as long as you can perform in the clutch.


And have a coach who can actually adjust to his opponent.....


And have a team that can score more than 8 goals in a 7 game series, let along 1 goal in game 7 of a SCF.
User avatar
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Previous

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Raile, rikster and 2 guests