Amnesty Buyout

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Amnesty Buyout

Post by Hockey Widow »

So with two buy outs there is a caveat. The buy outs commence at the end of this season and before the 2013-2014 season begins. So teams cannot buy out and get a cap pass this season.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Keith Ballard and David Booth are on the clock. If there is a season and I am cautiously optimistic there will be a 48 - 50 game scheddy, these two characters will have to amp their games up to avoid being bought out. 4.25 million each over two seasons beyond this one is a good chunk of money in a 62 million dollar cap.

I am curious does anyone know the amount of money the Italians will have to eat if/when these two guys get bought out. I'm pretty sure they can spread the money over 4 years but what is the % of cash they have to pay out?

There is no chance they buy out Roberto BTW.
I think a lot depends on if we re-sign Higgins and Edler before UFA season. If we do, then the 2 not so killer "B"s are gone. If we lose either one, we might hang onto either or both of Booth/Ballard. We also gain $5mil from MayRay and Malholtra's contracts which gives us a lot of wiggle room. I see Edler wanting big money, but, with the new CBA, he'll likely take $4mil for 2 years, then hope for a bigger contract as the cap grows. Most teams are gonna be cap space broke for the next few years, which is bad news for the players with contracts coming up. Only the bottom feeders will have cap room, and most won't want to use it.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Edler won't be signing a two year deal for 4 mill a season.

I am thinking more like a 6 year deal for 33 million might get it done.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:So with two buy outs there is a caveat. The buy outs commence at the end of this season and before the 2013-2014 season begins. So teams cannot buy out and get a cap pass this season.
They are spreading the two buyout limit over the Summer 2013 and Summer 2014 periods according to the rumoured CBA agreement. So, yes, no-one can be bought out right now (sorry Montreal and NYR), but any "amnesty" (amnesty against the cap, but still count against player's share) buyout decisions don't all have to be made in Summer 2013.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

What this means for the Canucks is that the only two significant moves may be trading Luongo and re-signing Edler this year. On both fronts a wait and see attitude may be best. Teams that are disappointed with this season may be more inclined to buy outs next year and that potentially frees a roster spot and cap room for Luongo. I am thinking of Philly here. Possibly Florida if Jose does not have a repeat of last season and of course the leaves if they miss the playoffs again. The bidding for Luongo may be higher at seasons end. MG has already been rumoured to have said that Luongo will not be bought out and he will not be traded unless a deal that makes sense for the Canucks comes along. I think he may be willing to be a lot more patient. If a team like Toronto really covets Luongo they will need to get it done now before other teams can make room for him.

As for Edler I am all for getting a new deal done before he becomes UFA but MG may not have the cap space to do so until he clears room so Elder' deal may very well have to wait until we trade Luongo or until the buy out period comes and goes.

Bottom line is that the Canucks team we stared the lockout with may very well be the team that goes the distance this season ( by going the distance I don't mean winning the cup, just playing here all year). So very much it may be a last look for a number for players.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: so Elder' deal may very well have to wait until we trade Luongo or until the buy out period comes and goes.
Which is why I don't think Gillis can be taking contracts back in a Luongo deal. Edler is front and centre the biggest priority for Gillis and so it all domino's from there.

Tallon is looking like a fucking genius in off-loading that ball and chain of a a contract that Booth has for a couple of contracts with one year left on them (Samuelsson and Sturm). Talk about fantastic anticipation of the CBA by Tallon and a complete snooze fest on Gillis part. Funny how Gillis two great trades - Ballard and Booth are completely screwing him over in the new CBA. Gillis, the genius MoneyBaller.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Edler won't be signing a two year deal for 4 mill a season.

I am thinking more like a 6 year deal for 33 million might get it done.
scale it back by 14% to $27 mil, and you might be right. the new 50/50 means that everyone is either taking a cut for a few years, or at least not seeing any salary escalations. And, unless the fans come back stronger than before (really, is there much room for growth from where they were pre-lockout?), then new contracts will reflect the 14% cut to salaries.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote:As for Edler I am all for getting a new deal done before he becomes UFA but MG may not have the cap space to do so until he clears room so Elder' deal may very well have to wait until we trade Luongo or until the buy out period comes and goes.
We should be able to re-sign Edler at any time, as MG can simply buy out any 2 contracts he doesn't want if we need the cap room this summer.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Tallon is looking like a fucking genius in off-loading that ball and chain of a a contract that Booth has for a couple of contracts with one year left on them (Samuelsson and Sturm). Talk about fantastic anticipation of the CBA by Tallon and a complete snooze fest on Gillis part. Funny how Gillis two great trades - Ballard and Booth are completely screwing him over in the new CBA. Gillis, the genius MoneyBaller.
Booth and Ballard will have approx 8.5 million owed to each of them over two seasons. If they don't respond with better seasons they will both be dealt for peanut crumbs or they will be bought out. Gillis is not completely screwed but hey whatever helps you sleep at night. Tallon definitley divested himself of two guys who were underachieving and pulling down good money for a team that doesn't have a ton of it. Gillis rolled the dice and so far...... it hasn't worked out . That said Gillis didn't really surrender much in the way of assets other than a late first round pick.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Tallon is looking like a fucking genius in off-loading that ball and chain of a a contract that Booth has for a couple of contracts with one year left on them (Samuelsson and Sturm). Talk about fantastic anticipation of the CBA by Tallon and a complete snooze fest on Gillis part. Funny how Gillis two great trades - Ballard and Booth are completely screwing him over in the new CBA. Gillis, the genius MoneyBaller.
Booth and Ballard will have approx 8.5 million owed to each of them over two seasons. If they don't respond with better seasons they will both be dealt for peanut crumbs or they will be bought out. Gillis is not completely screwed but hey whatever helps you sleep at night. Tallon definitley divested himself of two guys who were underachieving and pulling down good money for a team that doesn't have a ton of it. Gillis rolled the dice and so far...... it hasn't worked out . That said Gillis didn't really surrender much in the way of assets other than a late first round pick.

I think if Booth and Ballard have to go for cap reasons MG will give them away first before he considers a buyout. There are a number of teams that could use Ballard, not so sure about Booth depending upon what his year is like. The trade becomes easy if the alternative is a buyout.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote:I think if Booth and Ballard have to go for cap reasons MG will give them away first before he considers a buyout. There are a number of teams that could use Ballard, not so sure about Booth depending upon what his year is like. The trade becomes easy if the alternative is a buyout.
I think this newsgroup is too hard on Booth. He's put up solid numbers in his healthy years. I expect 50 (pro-rated) points from him this season, assuming he's healthy and has regular line-mates. That is on par for his salary with other teams.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

If memory serves, Gilly traded for Ballard as he was losing Erhoff and before he knew that Hamhuis would sign here so I dont see what was wrong with that trade as far as in the moment goes.
However since the trade its hard not to argue that its been a bit of a battle but correct me if I'm wrong, since returning from injury last season he was much improved and during the first round seemed one of the better defense men we had?

enough effort to not throw him under the bus just yet no?
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Booth and Ballard will have approx 8.5 million owed to each of them over two seasons.
Aquaman has never been a tight ass with his money where the Canucks are concerned; but I wonder if the buyout route isn't too big of a pill for even him to swallow.

"Fuck it Mike, you made your bed..... trade those fuckers for seventh round draft picks if you have to; I ain't shelling out nearly 10 million bucks for your gambles."
2011..... the one that got away.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Booth and Ballard will have approx 8.5 million owed to each of them over two seasons.
Aquaman has never been a tight ass with his money where the Canucks are concerned; but I wonder if the buyout route isn't too big of a pill for even him to swallow.

"Fuck it Mike, you made your bed..... trade those fuckers for seventh round draft picks if you have to; I ain't shelling out nearly 10 million bucks for your gambles."
Totally agree EPC. i would rather see them dealt for a 7th rounder to a team trying to get to the floor.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Me too but frankly the buyout is a great opportunity for five or six teams and the Canucks are likely one of them. Whether its Booth and Ballard or Scottie Upshall or whoever there's an opportunity and I hope Mike Gillis can capitalize on it.

I do think Ballard and Booth are both good enough to stay in the league on their current deals so if they have to go there may well be a trade.