GMMG Speaks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

GMMG Speaks

Post by Hockey Widow »

All paraphrased:

Q: Does a shortened season change how you go into the season personnel wise?

A: Yes. Before the lockout we had plans to let a number of our younger players have an expanded role and show what they can do. With a shortened season we don't have the luxury of allowing that in the same fashion. We need to go with the best roster from the get go to fight to make the playoffs. Having said that there are a number of players we want to take a hard look at. Mentioned Kassian and Schroeder as two. Also said there is a possibility of moving a winger to centre to see if they can develop in that position.

Q: Do you feel an urgency to go out and get another centre at this point os in return for say a Luongo trade?

A: No. We have contingency plans and we feel we are deep enough at the forward position to be creative.

Q: Kesler update

A: Kesler is coming along nicely and expects him to continue to get better. He has read the rumours about a set back but that is not consistent with his conversations with Kesler and thinks he will be just fine and ready to go. However, he is a big part of the future so they plan to be very cautious with him this time around but MG does not expect any major set backs.

Q: What is the team status with respect to talking to players, trade discussions , etc.

A: Until the deal is ratified they still cannot talk trades with other teams. Cannot contact players until ratification. All team coaches will arrive in Vancouver today and tomorrow and then they will meet to get a plan in place. Expect all team staff to be back on the job very shortly to prepare for camp. He himself just flew in from Hawaii.

Q: Since Rogers Centre is booked out for concerts and a few things where will training camp be.

A: Probably at UBC but they have other venues they can get on short notice.

Q: Any news on trading Luongo?

A: (laughing) No. Until a deal is ratified we cannot talk to other teams.

Q: Do you expect to trade him this year.

A: Only if it is a hockey deal that makes sense.

Q: Don't you feel you need to solve your goaltending issues?

A: We don't have any goaltending issues. Other teams have goaltending issues and if their issues become big enough then we will have a goaltending issue but our issue is driven but other teams having a bigger issue. So it will only be an issue for us if it is an issue with other teams. He expects a lot of activity once the deal is ratified. Before the lockout they had a number of scenarios they were looking at, not just goaltending. Doesn't know what the landscape will look like until the deal is ratified and everyone has had the opportunity to absorb it and understand the impact. But expects to see a lot of movement early this season.

Q: Have you given any though to what two players you will buy out this year.

A: As far as I know we can't buy anyone out this year so no I haven't given it any thought. Just because a team can use the buy out doesn't mean it will do so. Our first priority is always the trade route. We have not held discussions at this point on buying any player out. We like our group and this is not an avenue that we would take lightly. We have always planned ahead for every possible scenario and we are well positioned for this new CBA. We don't have cap problems now and don't anticipate any next year.

Q: Do you think it will be a challenge to get compliant with the new cap?

A: Yes, it is always challenging for us because we have an owner who is committed to allowing us to be up to the cap every year. All teams find it challenging so yes it will be a challenge but no more than any other year.

Q: Do you have more of a sense of urgency to win the cup this year because the changes that will be coming.

A: No. I always have a sense of urgency, every year we feel an urgent need to win the cup. That won't change. Every move we make is with that sense of urgency to win the cup. Winning the cup is the challenge for all teams every year.

Q: Did the Canucks suffer from season ticket holder cancellations and if so how many?

A: Yes we have had a few but I won't share the number as that is internal team business. We did not have major cancellations or to the point where we are worried that our fan base is leaving us. It is regrettable that we have lost a few season ticket holders but the level will not impact the team.

Q: How much detail on the new CBA do you have?

A: Some of the details have been shared but I don't have much more than what is reported in the public domain. We had a meeting about 1 month ago that laid the groundwork and the issues and from there it is the numbers and terms we need to get details on. I have a basic insight but still need to wait until the deal is ratified before we get the whole deal to go over. No, he can't share anything else.

Q: Do you know how many games will be played?

A: 50 more or less. Could be 52 could be 50 could be 48. Depends upon how quickly the PA can ratify and the owners ratify. We will know more in the next 48 hours. We are ready for all contingencies.

Q: Do you know when camp will begin and how long it will be?

A: No, not until everything is ratified and then we need to begin the process of getting players back to Vancouver. Can't contact players until deal is ratified so I don't know who is on their way back yet.

Q: Was realignment put in the new CBA?

A: Not for this season. It is still a talking point and hopefully an agreement can be reached for the start of next season but as of yet no agreement on realignment.

Q: Are you comfortable going into the season with the team you have?

A: Yes. I think we have the group that can win the cup but I will always look for moves that make us a better hockey club. There are teams out there that have a lot more work to do than we do and I expect things to open up in the next few weeks.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: GMMG Speaks

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The elusive, arrogant a-hole as per usual in all his interviews. Just volleying those stock answers left, right and centre.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I wish DN was still here. I loved it when the team made the playoffs once every three seasons.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I wish DN was still here. I loved it when the team made the playoffs once every three seasons.

Burnaby Dave is a legend
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Isn't it great to have hockey back? All the same naysayers are still here naysaying the same things. Love it.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:Isn't it great to have hockey back? All the same naysayers are still here naysaying the same things. Love it.
What am I naysaying? Do you not agree that a Gillis interview is as about as enlightening as a night out at the Port Moody Inn with Blob Mackenzie?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:I wish DN was still here. I loved it when the team made the playoffs once every three seasons.

Burnaby Dave is a legend
For enhaling cheeseburgers and for having more chins than a Richmond phone book.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

Burnaby Dave is a legend
For enhaling cheeseburgers and for having more chins than a Richmond phone book.
But ya gotta admit, Dave could put on a mean BBQ'in spread like no other.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Isn't it great to have hockey back? All the same naysayers are still here naysaying the same things. Love it.
What am I naysaying? Do you not agree that a Gillis interview is as about as enlightening as a night out at the Port Moody Inn with Blob Mackenzie?

Well, I'd have to have a night out with Blob before I could answer that question in all honesty.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

We could go out HW.......gotta keep it on the down lo though ;)

No double dating with the dude and Michelle D though
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Isn't it great to have hockey back? All the same naysayers are still here naysaying the same things. Love it.
What am I naysaying?

WASSAMATTA FO YOU??!!
Widow, you must excuse my little friend, English is not his first language. :lol:

Last edited by Strangelove on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:We could go out HW.......gotta keep it on the down lo though ;)

No double dating with the dude and Michelle D though

We can't let Donny know either. I turned him down once so I don't want rampant jealousy to spread here on this hockey message board. :D

Oh, and you'd have to come to me here downtown!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
Strange.....I saw nothing in HW's post that called RD a naysayer, but he is undeniably on the defensive here...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

:roll:

Dude: “The elusive, arrogant a-hole as per usual in all his interviews. Just volleying those stock answers left, right and centre.”

Widow: “Isn't it great to have hockey back? All the same naysayers are still here naysaying the same things. Love it.”

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/naysayer

naysayer (plural naysayers)

1. One who consistently denies, criticizes, or doubts; a detractor.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Well at the point where HW first said naysayer, there had been only two responses to the OP and considering Blob has been a consistent reasonable voice on the critique of the Gillis regime while the Dude has ripped Gillis a new one on everything from drafting of eligible juniors to the line match ups of AV, its gotta be RD/BD chez boyarde :)

as for the comments by Gillis though...
I'm happy to hear that there is no rush to unload anyone just yet

I think that:

Ballard had maybe turned a corner and was starting to pan out...
Booth hasn't had time to really show he can reach his upside.
and dumping Luongo in a fire sale is a huge mistake..

if Gillis is to be believed it seems that patience will rule the day and that the Cap which can 70 million this season shouldn't be a problem till the summer and then perhaps a better picture will have developed