So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by CFP! »

Its really too bad Dipetro aint a UFA till 2021.

There is some serious talent in that system.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

CFP! wrote:Its really too bad Dipetro aint a UFA till 2021.

There is some serious talent in that system.
I forget, how old will Rocky be by then, same age as Jacque Plante?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Uncle dans leg wrote:If I had my way, I would be going for a different look than a prospect. I really like Mike Green in Washington and can't help to think that a sleeper trading partner like the Caps could really use a guy like Luongo. They're also in win-now mode and I reckon they may be looking to change things up a bit. Pure talking out my ass I know but what else do we have????
He hasn't been healthy which is a knock against for sure but the talent this guy possesses is all star caliber. They (Luo + MG)have almost the same cap hit but Mikes' contract only has 2 years left so we gain in this regard. I strongly feel we have a 3-4 year window to win a cup and the team really needs an ace from the back end. As much as I like young prospects I think the time is now to go for the big one.
If we win it all now then suck for 10 years....who gives a fuck... 41 years! ENOUGH ALREADY
Getting a player as good as Green back for Luongo is tantalizing but the cap is almost certainly going to come down and unless you want to watch Alex Edler walk away for nothing the Canucks can't be dealing Luongo for a player with an even higher cap hit - or much cap hit at all, really.

Though I do think the Caps could potentially be an interesting partner in a Luongo trade.
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

RoyalDude wrote:
paddy wrote:Pacific Blue this Florida Love in give it up the deal is done he goes to Toronto...

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu ... --nhl.html
I believe it, Paddy. Ya know why? Cause Gillis is the worst when it comes to trading. I fully expect to be completely disappointed by what Gillis manages to bring back for Lou.

IMHO, it should be Schneider on the block instead of Lou. The returns are far greater and the risks are far less cause lets be honest, Schneider has as much a chance of shitting the bed as being successful as a No. 1 goalie. He truly hasn't been tested with the weight of the world now squarely placed upon his shoulders in the premier goalie graveyard hockey market of the world. I really worry once the honeymoon is over between Canuck fans and Schneider. This city loves their back-ups, hate their starters.
Goalie Graveyard Pacific Blue??? you sound like that Fat Fuck of a former General Manager, you know, the one who is in Hog town trying to tell everyone who will listen that the dynamic duo of Reimer & Scrivens will lead them to the playoffs... The goalie Graveyard thing always pissed me off cuz only 4 goalies in the history of this franchise, were any good...Gary Smith,Broduer,McLean& Lou... Don't put it on me as a fan when Gary Bromley,Martin Brochu, Frank Caprice,Rick Heinz, Wendell Young all didn't get into hall of fame unless they buy a ticket...

The former Fat Fuck of a Gm threw the fan-base under a bus cause he couldn't solve the position FUNNY look at his list in Toronto of goalies and truth betold if he ever said "Goalie Graveyard" there he would be lynched... Toskala,Raycroft,Clemensen,Gerber,Pogge,Gustavsson,Giguere,Macdonald,Reimer,Scrivens,Rynnass... Looking at that list Toronto is no more a goalie graveyard than Vancouver is when the GM cannot solve the position in charge is Brian Burke...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Knowing Burke, he is still trying to throw a big useless package of useless players like he did for Calgary in the Phaneuf trade. Burke tries to wow you with numbers than quality when it comes to trading. Unfortunately for him, Gillis is as stubborn as he is. But I still predict, knowing Gillis track record when it comes to trading that whatever we get back will be shite.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

As bag of pucks as long as they don't take up cap space.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

MG will not get this package:
At the draft, reports indicated Vancouver asked for centre Tyler Bozak, defenceman Jake Gardiner, a first round pick and winger Matt Frattin in exchange for the 33-year-old Luongo.
However I can see MG targeting Frattin, maybe Bozak(decent short term rental) and a dman prospect like Finn.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

I haven't herd anything about the new CBA containing a punitive clause against contracts like Lu's. Has anyone read something on that issue yet?
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Potatoe1 wrote:I haven't herd anything about the new CBA containing a punitive clause against contracts like Lu's. Has anyone read something on that issue yet?
That's something I want to know as well.

If I recall correctly, during Fehr's surreal press conference back in December he said the PA and NHL were close to agreement on some sort of cap-recapture penalty, but I've heard no details and nothing since.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Topper wrote:As bag of pucks as long as they don't take up cap space.
I will say though, having the option to buy out 2 contracts may give Gillis some leeway to take on a contract.

But that's risky if Ballard isn't the only other legitimate buy-out option on the roster next summer.

Gillis has some big decisions to make.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

coco_canuck wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:I haven't herd anything about the new CBA containing a punitive clause against contracts like Lu's. Has anyone read something on that issue yet?
That's something I want to know as well.

If I recall correctly, during Fehr's surreal press conference back in December he said the PA and NHL were close to agreement on some sort of cap-recapture penalty, but I've heard no details and nothing since.

The Burke clause. Two things Burkie has advocated: ability to keep/trade cap space: the cap-recapture penalty ( I like that name for it, who coined cap-recapture). He wants Luongo and he wants to ability to take less cap and let the Canucks hold the consequences if Luongo retires before the cap expires. Its part of his self righteous act.

I hope Luongo goes to the leaves, that we get a pretty return and then in two years Luongo exercises his escape clause to get out of Toronto, after leading them to the playoffs for two consecutive years.

I still think given the cap this season and next that we have no hurry to trade Luongo. We can afford to wait until this season is done, teams complete their buy outs and then see what the market bears. Luongo has been nothing but a committed Canuck and a good teammate. I doubt having him here would pose a problem. It may pose a dilemma for AV though.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:We can afford to wait until this season is done, teams complete their buy outs and then see what the market bears. Luongo has been nothing but a committed Canuck and a good teammate. I doubt having him here would pose a problem. It may pose a dilemma for AV though.
I think this is a ridiculous notion, won't happen. Luongo will be dealt sooner than you think. That being said, what happens if Schneider completely shits the bed and Luongo rocks the joint out, just battin pucks out of the air with round the world glove hand saves? Would Doc Strangelove still prefer his brethren Aryan Ginger over the Olive skinned Pizano? Something tells me the Neo Nazi from Abbotsford would.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I agree with HW. There is no need to trade Luo unless MG gets EVERYTHING he thinks he should in return. The cap this year affords us the luxury of keeping them both. The cap next year also affords us the luxury of keeping them both. Why trade him unless we get what MG considers fair market value.

<a href=http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-To-MP3 ... 10474.html >youtube to mp3</a>
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Would Doc Strangelove still prefer his brethren Aryan Ginger over the Olive skinned Pizano? Something tells me the Neo Nazi from Abbotsford would.

Your imagination is running away with you mien friend!

Is this the kind of "quality" posting you want Ohdee to bring to this forum??

Perhaps YOU should be restricted to the Open Forum!

____
Try to focus on someday.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Never thought I'd say this but given the shortened season and new cap system, maybe the best thing for us is to not trade him this year. It's going to be a salary dump at best with an ugly return. Too uncertain in goal with Cory missing so much hockey and uncertain backup situation with Lack injured/unproven and all. The only risk is if Lu will be a good soldier and backup Cory without being a distraction because the only way he gets No.1, especially in the playoffs, is if Cory proves he can't handle the job or gets injured.

It's a big risk keeping him but goaltending is going to be the biggest factor in this brief year and giving up the insurance might be the biggest risk we take. As bad as our center position looks, Tyler fuckin' Bozak ain't enough for me to give up the insurance.

Bah....what's with this hockey talk crap?.......already going through serious lockout withdrawal :cry: