Home Construction Discussion

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Home Construction Discussion

Post by BladesofSteel »

It starts at the top.

You set the standard for how the work must be done. You hire the right people with integrity, knowledge, work ethic and skills who want to work for the guy who does the job right. The tough part is not just finding said tradesman, but retaining them with competitive wages/benefits.

It's a dog eat dog business, but it all starts at the top.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Thought I would post an update on the basement reno.

This looking into the bathroom with shower base, toilet and plumbing we have one coat of paint up before all the millwork and flooring is in just for efficiency.

This is looking at closet and doorway to bedroom. Bit of a screw up here is the window size does meet code for a bedroom so we have not put a door on the room until after inspection.

This is the laundry room or part of it where the washer and dryer will go and millwork. It's hard to get the whole room in a photo on an iphone.

This looks towards the rec area from the 'office' and laundry room

This is the new mechanical room with brand new electric boiler and all the plumbing- not cheap!

This looks down at the media wall. Waiting for the millwork and the and accent features to go in. All the speaker wire as been run and there is a big 2" conduit pipe to run cables and from consoles to the TV.

Finally this is looking back from the media wall. There is the new electrical panel and there will be millwork and storage buitl in around it but it has to be redesigned as we moved all that from a different wall when we changed the layout during contstruction.

Still waiting on the flooring to arrive and then all the lights to go in and the final electrical tie-ins for dimmers and baseboard heaters as well plus the 'office' window. It's coming but man it's really ground to a halt while you wait for things to arrive.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

So close to being done I can taste it. There was a major screw up with our millwork order so that added a huge delay to everything. It's dragged on a bit the last two months due to a bunch of things with my contractor trying to beat the weather on his other jobs but there are two doors left to hang and that's it!

Will post the final photos later.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Right on Pete! Looks good.....what happened with pics on the most important piece of the mechanical??? the......HVAC?

I just ripped out my oil furnace and tank and replaced it and re did all the duct work. (my trade)
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

CFP! wrote:Right on Pete! Looks good.....what happened with pics on the most important piece of the mechanical??? the......HVAC?

I just ripped out my oil furnace and tank and replaced it and re did all the duct work. (my trade)
That is the HVAC! An electric boiler for my rads- mounts on a wall and is 100% efficient. I'll go in and do more photos a bit later. Show the nuts and bolts of it all.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I don't see any 500 w lights or fans in that basement.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I don't see any 500 w lights or fans in that basement.
Those are in the cave underneath- double heat protection.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Wondering if I should post in this thread or not, but think I'll give it a try. Be nice to me, I'm an off-topic virgin. :D

I live in Metro Vancouver and I've detected some moisture problems in my attic. Can anyone recommend a good company that specializes in... I guess ventilation/roof repair?

I'm not an absolute idiot when it comes to home construction/maintenance, but this is a bit above my head, and not something I've dealt with before.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

BurningBeard wrote: I'm not an absolute idiot when it comes to home construction/maintenance, but this is a bit above my head, and not something I've dealt with before.
Well Duh... it's the attic... :thumbs:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

ODB wrote:
BurningBeard wrote: I'm not an absolute idiot when it comes to home construction/maintenance, but this is a bit above my head, and not something I've dealt with before.
I'm glad the pun wasn't lost on you. :P
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BurningBeard wrote:I've detected some moisture problems in my attic.
Moisture problems. Um, yeah, the million dollar question. Ask Shell Bussey.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ODB wrote:
and I was trying so hard not to post that........
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BurningBeard wrote: I've detected some moisture problems in my attic.
Hydrocephalus springs to mind. :mrgreen:

Welcome to Creeper's Bar & Grill! :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

RoyalDude wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:I've detected some moisture problems in my attic.
Moisture problems. Um, yeah, the million dollar question. Ask Shell Bussey.
That old fart? Is he related to you?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Strangelove wrote:
BurningBeard wrote: I've detected some moisture problems in my attic.
Hydrocephalus springs to mind. :mrgreen:

Welcome to Creeper's Bar & Grill! :drink:
I've heard that can also be cause by Oxycontin. :roll: