Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Hoss
CC Rookie

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Post by Hoss »

Benjo wrote:Image

German beer I get sometimes in BC liquor stores, pretty tasty.
They just started selling this shit in Whatcom Co. Its so-so, I'd say Rainier takes it any day of the week (a local bar advertises it as the German Rainier). I'm pretty sure I've seen bums brown bagging this swill on the mean streets of Deutschland. Any good Bavarian will tell you that Northern Germans don't know how to make beer... that stuff's brewed in Dortmund.

A short list of faves: Sheaf's Stout, Sierra Nevade Pale Ale, pretty much anything by Deschutes (imo the best NW microbrewery), Smithwick's, Killykenny when she's nitro-fired... hmm. Ayinger Dunkelweiss, Kostrizer Schwarzbier and I really wish we could get Augustiner in the states. The King of all Munich breweries.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

...every country has their "yellow beer", DAB is just a Northern German version. Beck's, Stella, Heinecken, Harp - they may be a little more hoppy than Canadian, but in the end they're pretty much the same. They seem tastier because they are imported - and in the case of Stella and Heinecken have ENORMOUS marketing budgets- but the differences are minor.

If you are looking for German-styled offerings, Spring's 1516 is a credible Helles. Fisgard 150 from Lighthouse isn't bad, either. What I'd really like though, is for someone to bottle a good, local pilsener with a proper hop profile. There are too many pilseners around in name only. Miller, for example, claims to be a pilsener :shock: A light-coloured lager with barely a hint of hops in the flavour or the nose DOES NOT constitute a pilsener. At the very least, see Pilsener Urquell (an acquaintance of mine from Prague would scoff at that, too).
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Benjo wrote:Image

German beer I get sometimes in BC liquor stores, pretty tasty.
DAB is swill...try a good hefeweizen like the unfiltered Hacker-Pschorr (with a lemon it will quench your Summer thirst).
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Puck wrote:...every country has their "yellow beer", DAB is just a Northern German version. Beck's, Stella, Heinecken, Harp - they may be a little more hoppy than Canadian, but in the end they're pretty much the same. They seem tastier because they are imported - and in the case of Stella and Heinecken have ENORMOUS marketing budgets- but the differences are minor.
With a little experience with marketing swill in the past, I have to say that it's an interesting thing to see thousands of people really buy into it. Doesn't anyone have any taste buds anymore? I remember the beer company I did some work for would have our writing team drink their beer for "inspiration". I ended up drinking something much more tasty to get writing about it. Half-assed lied, but it was beer I was writing about, it just wasn't the beer that I was writing for. :s I no longer write those types of campaigns. It was a means to an end.
If you are looking for German-styled offerings, Spring's 1516 is a credible Helles. Fisgard 150 from Lighthouse isn't bad, either. ...
I am a huge fan of OK Springs 1516. It's my go-to if they have it on tap. It's local, it's tasty and it's decently priced. If you're in the Lougheed Mall area, the Foggy Dew has it on special on Wednesday along with some live music.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Don't mind Lowenbrau, but it seems to be tasting a little less good these days.

Don't think you can get it anywhere in Canada but a beer that I'll remember for a long time is Monteith's Summer Ale - from NZ. Might be a little spicy for some, but on a hot summer day it really hit the spot.

For winter Guinness. Herminator by Van Island Brewing ain't bad and St. Ambrose Oatmeal Stout is also alright.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Goona be some good beer events coming up...my new fave brewery is in Ottawa for their 2nd OktoberFest...

http://www.beaus.ca/oktoberfest

Good times indeed...

Also, a great Cask event here the same weekend (Central City will be there :) ) jeez man, canna I do both?! Ahh wot the hell...it's my birthday week :whistle:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

So I run into a guy I knows from my brewery days from Creemore Springs....Yesh I know they were bought out by Molsons and Yeah I know they are left alone by them under the 6 Pints division but they bought Granville Island?! So that's why I've been seeing it here more on the shelves...butt...it's 6 Pints so Molsons promises to leave it alone...even after they buy 2 more micro craft breweries in the U.S. (to be named later....)...

If you love the hop as much as I do...read this article and tell me your palette doesn't water whilst you peruse it....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... le2263636/

8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

OK, this Juan is NOT from tarrana

http://doubletroublebrewing.com/about-ou-beer/

Hops & Robbers

10 8-)
Ropesauce
CC Rookie

Post by Ropesauce »

Love the Stanley Park-1897 Belgian style Amber ,Tree Brewings Vertical winter ale is good too!!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Ropesauce wrote:Love the Stanley Park-1897 Belgian style Amber ,Tree Brewings Vertical winter ale is good too!!
Anything Tree makes I drink :)

Going back to my default Mill Street Tankhouse Ale after being bitter for most of 2012....I is a major hophead but I have a quieter, sweeter side to me as well. :whistle:

I actually credit Tankhouse for getting mainstreamers to try micro ales and IPAs more...it's pushed the boundary even more...

Did anyone get a hold of the 'rare' Westvleteren 12?

I had some acquired from a friend that lined up at the LCBO for hours....maybe rare but not the best in the world....Westvleteren 10 is still a might good score :D
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Arachnid wrote:
Did anyone get a hold of the 'rare' Westvleteren 12?

I had some acquired from a friend that lined up at the LCBO for hours....maybe rare but not the best in the world....Westvleteren 10 is still a might good score :D
We have a periodic poster on this board who did some schooling in Belgium. Although he is a particular fan of Orval, He may have had some of the Westvleteren products right from the source. I'm surprised to hear that brew made it to Canada, although the lineup is a good indication of how often it happens.

As a small town Albertan, I can't expect to see that. However I was startled to see my ancestral hometown beer in a local store: Traquair House Ale. The world is getting smaller all the time.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Ropesauce wrote:Love the Stanley Park-1897 Belgian style Amber ,Tree Brewings Vertical winter ale is good too!!
Did anyone else have a Unibroue La Fin du Monde on Dec 21? I wasn't planning on getting it that day until I sign at the store suggesting that it was the ideal beer for celebrating the Mayan apocalypse.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

No, but I recall a look of bemused shock on a beer store clerks face when I bought Dead Guy Ale and told her it was Good Friday.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Rayxor wrote:
Did anyone else have a Unibroue La Fin du Monde on Dec 21? I wasn't planning on getting it that day until I sign at the store suggesting that it was the ideal beer for celebrating the Mayan apocalypse.
I had a 'Mayan' porter on cask at Spinnakers (Victoria) on Dec 21st. Typical mid-weight porter with cocoa nibs and chiles in the cask plus an addition of goldschlager(sp?). Clearly deliberately concocted for marketing purposes, but it was well-executed. Very subtle cocoa and chile notes that blended nicely into the roasty/malty notes of the porter. Whatever the gold-stuff did was not noticeable to my palate.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:No, but I recall a look of bemused shock on a beer store clerks face when I bought Dead Guy Ale and told her it was Good Friday.
Picked up the Holloweenie edition with the glow-in-the-dark bottle that now is the best late night beer drinking candle holder like. eva 8-)