Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dbr provided a comprehensive list of players who were picked by the Wings in the first few rounds. They were still better at drafting than most if not all teams in the early rounds. When you add in all the gems from the later rounds they blow everybody away. Not sure why you have such a difficult time trying to wrap your head round this. I guess you hadn't noticed all the HOFers and the cups.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:dbr provided a comprehensive list of players who were picked by the Wings in the first few rounds. They were still better at drafting than most if not all teams in the early rounds. When you add in all the gems from the later rounds they blow everybody away. Not sure why you have such a difficult time trying to wrap your head round this. I guess you hadn't noticed all the HOFers and the cups.

Bobby that was when Jesus was a boy. TO has a great Stanley Cup record as well ....so they're good ??

A good number of the players dbr gave were 4th liners, Dallas Drake, Dan McGillis, Jamie Pushor, Andre Erickson and lets not forget the riveting career Stewart Malgunas had. They were player that were included while the likes of Larinov, Kontsantinov, Federov and Yzerman pulled the sled. Sure Detroit exploited the break up of the Soviet Union I don't dispute that but take those "older" Russians ie players that were not scouted as juniors ie ready made players!!, and you don't have a lot. How can you honestly include a thirty year old and say he's a draft choice :lol: :lol:

Any way you're not going to see it through my eyes and I miss your point. Mexican stand off

Filppula, really!! John Jakopin who the Hell is that and then to add insult to injury Yuri Butsayev gimme a break :lol: :lol:
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote:

Bobby that was when Jesus was a boy. TO has a great Stanley Cup record as well ....so they're good ??

A good number of the players dbr gave were 4th liners, Dallas Drake, Dan McGillis, Jamie Pushor, Andre Erickson and lets not forget the riveting career Stewart Malgunas had. They were player that were included while the likes of Larinov, Kontsantinov, Federov and Yzerman pulled the sled. Sure Detroit exploited the break up of the Soviet Union I don't dispute that but take those "older" Russians ie players that were not scouted as juniors ie ready made players!!, and you don't have a lot. How can you honestly include a thirty year old and say he's a draft choice :lol: :lol:

Any way you're not going to see it through my eyes and I miss your point. Mexican stand off

Filppula, really!! John Jakopin who the Hell is that and then to add insult to injury Yuri Butsayev gimme a break :lol: :lol:
The fact you bring up TO and their cups in the 6 team league to this thread is fairly telling. I knew I smelled shit somewhere......looks like Fred is talking out of his ass again. Just like Alexander Mogilny's play nosedived when he left here right ??? :lol: :lol: See I can do that too. :)

Calling a guy like Dallas Drake a 4th liner is a little disingenuous to say the least. I hated the little prick but he scored at a 40 point pace pretty much his whole career and played over 1000 NHL games.I don't remember too many 4th liners putting up 40 points a year in the dead puck era. Calling Dan McGillis a 4th liner is a joke also. He was a legit hard nosed d-man who was top 4 on any team in his day.

The Wings drafted Yzerman, Fedorov and Konstantinov as young players and Larionov was added to the mix .........no idea what you are yammering about with old Russians there. Fetisov was an older pick and a good one too....perhaps that's what you're referring to.

You called out the Wings drafting and I took issue with that. I am the first one to admit they haven't drafted as well as the did in the past , but only an idiot would say that they haven't done fairly well even if they don't grab a Zetterburg every single fucking season.You called their success at the draft table a myth which to me is ridiculous. Even if I listed the Wings players that are still playing in the league and who contributed greatly to the teams success I could assemble a good team of drafted Wings players. According to you they haven't drafted anyone decent since Jesus was a boy.

I would take this team into the playoffs myself:

Jimmy Howard
Drew McIntyre

Nicklas Kronwall
Jiri Fischer( when healthy of course)
Kyle Quincey
Brendan Smith
Jonathan Ericsson
Jakob Kindl

Henrik Zetterburg
Pavel Datsyuk
Johan Franzen
Valterri Filpulla
Tomas Fleishman
Jiri Hudler
Tomas Kopecky
Tomas Holmstrom
MAthieu Dandenault
Darren Helm
Justin Abdelkader
Shawn Mathias

They have prospects in the pipeline like Tatar, Jarnkrok, Nyquist and Ferraro.

No idea why you continue to stick with your stance that Dertoits success and drafting and developement is a myth.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:

I glanced through the data recently and it is easy to agree with Fred that some of Detroit's late round gems skew peoples impression of their drafting as they have some early round busts. Also from my quick perusal, Vancouver is not stellar, but also not that bad, more middling to upper mid pack, but that is just from a glance at the data.
Sure Detroit has crapped the bed on some high selections but so has everyone else. They seperate themselves from the pack by finding good players in the late rounds.

Frederick is so quick to rag on Detroit but seems to forget Shawn Antoski, Josh Holden,Rob Gordon,Taylor Ellington, Jason Herter, PAt White, Libor Polasek, Dan Woodley , Rob Woodward etc.

Anyone who thinks that Detroit and Vancouver are comparable in drafting NHL players over the last 30 years is a fucking idiot.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Take a look at this article, Obviously some one that has a lot more time or willingess to review draft records of Detroit
They use Detroits BAD drafting record as an example

Myth Busting: Must you draft well to win?

January 21, 2008David JohnsonNHL31 comments

The Puck Stops Here recently had a story regarding the leaves woes and pointed the finger at their drafting record.

Putting aside the ridiculous situation in management of the Toronto Maple leaves, there is a simple hockey-related reason the team is doing poorly. That reason is the draft. Toronto has not drafted well.

Now, I am not writing this article to defend the leaves drafting record but rather to bust the myth that you have to keep your top picks and you have to draft well to be successful. Take a look at this list of players:

Anders Eriksson
Jon Coleman
Kevin Hilton
Yan Golubovsky
Mathieu Dandeneault
Sean Gillam
Maxim Kuznetsov
Phillippe Audet
Darryl Laplante
Jesse Wallin
Aren Miller
Johan Forsander
Yuri Butsayev
Petr Sykora (not the good one)
Quintin Laing
Jiri Fischer
Ryan Barnes
Tomek Valtonen
Jari Tolsa
Andrei Maximenko
Kent McDonnell
Niklas Kronwall
Tomas Kopecky
Stegan Liv
Igor Grigorenko
Drew MacIntyre
Miroslav Blatak

For those of you who may not have clued in, that is the very unspectacular list of the top 3 picks in each draft year from 1993 to 2001 of the Detroit Red Wings
also known as the most successful team of the past dozen or so years. That is a pretty unspectacular list don’t you think and none of those players would be considered key members of any of their Stanley Cup wins and only Kronwall is of any significant impoartance to the current NHL squad.

Still not convinced? How about this list:

Lance Ward
Wes Mason
Josh DeWolf
Jean-Francois Damphousse
Stansislav Gron
Licas Nehrling
Mike Van Ryn (didn’t sign, re-entered draft)
Scott Gomez
Christian Berglund
Ari Ahonen
Mike Commodore
Brett Chloutier
David Hale
Teemu Laine
Alexander Suglobov
Adrian Foster
Igor Pohanka
Tuomas Pihlman
Anton Kadeykin
Barry Tallackson
Jason Ryznar

For those unsure, that is the top 3 draft picks of the New Jesey Devils in each year from 1996 to 2002. Aside from Gomez none of those players played a significant role in any of the Devils 3 Cup wins and none of those palyers are currently playing a significant role with the current New Jersey team that is fighting for second spot in the eastern conference this season. Most people consider New Jersey to be one of the better drafting teams in the NHL. Strange concept when you see the list above.
I want to make it clear that I am not defending the leaves drafting record which is mixed (though certainly on par with or better than the above lists of players) but rather I want to attempt to put to rest the myth that you can’t win if you trade away your top draft picks or don’t draft well with them. Clearly based on the success of the Red Wings and Devils you can have some, or even lots, of success. It certainly helps to draft well, but it is not a prerequisite and isn’t the only, or even the main, problem with the leaves.

(For the record, both New Jersey and Detroit drafted some very good players with late round picks but is that really what we should call good drafting or should we call it luck with a bit of good development thrown in. Plus, I have never heard people bitterly complain when the leaves, or anyone, trade away a 6th or 7th round draft pick.)
cheers
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Detroit was the BEST drafting team from about 89 - 2006 bar none and it isn't even close.
Fred wrote: I'm not trying to make light of the players that Detroit picked up. Clearly great players. But the scouting has praise heaped upon it when IMO it shouldn't. Their selection of players chosen with high picks clearly shows their inability to make good choices. .
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Who gives a rats ass what round the players were taken in ? The fact of the matter is my point stands. Detroit was far and away the best drafting team from the late 80's until 5 years ago. They have drafted way more quality NHL players than any team during that time period.
Fred wrote: No Blob that's not the concept at all. The reason that by FAR the most players in the draft come form the first round is valid...I hope you're not suggesting other wise. You keep screwing up first round picks and guess what it doesn't look good on your resume and after all that's what we're debating here, this magical Detroit scouting machine.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:dbr provided a comprehensive list of players who were picked by the Wings in the first few rounds. They were still better at drafting than most if not all teams in the early rounds. When you add in all the gems from the later rounds they blow everybody away. Not sure why you have such a difficult time trying to wrap your head round this. I guess you hadn't noticed all the HOFers and the cups.
Fred wrote: Bobby that was when Jesus was a boy. TO has a great Stanley Cup record as well ....so they're good ??

Blob Mckenzie wrote: The fact you bring up TO and their cups in the 6 team league to this thread is fairly telling. I knew I smelled shit somewhere......looks like Fred is talking out of his ass again.
Yup.

Fred "what we're debating here" is the drafting record of the Wings from 1989 to 2006.

Blobby has been very clear on that and you have clearly disagreed.

I say the Wings have been at least average over that time frame in the 1st round

(considering their usual position in the bottom-half of the 1st round).

I say the Wings have been fantastic over that time frame in the 2nd round PERIOD.

And of course we all agree they have been 2nd-to-none over that time frame in the lower rounds.

Let's take a closer look, shall we?

Let's....
http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospe ... uccess.htm

Question: How Many NHL Draft Picks Make it to the NHL?

Over 200 players are selected at every NHL draft. How many of them go on to have NHL careers? What are the prospects for a player selected in the first round of the NHL Draft compared to later rounds?

Answer: To properly evaluate a draft, you need a few year's distance from it. So let's look at the 1990s.
To define whether a player "makes it," let's set the threshold at 200 NHL games. We'll call them "career players."

Between 1990 and 1999, there were 2,600 names called at the NHL Entry Draft.

As of 2007, 494 of those players have appeared in at least 200 NHL games. That's a success rate of 19 percent.

But of course, not all draft picks are created equal. The guys picked in the first round are a cut above the rest:

Success rate of first-round draft picks.

Based on the 1990s sample, a first-round draft pick has a 63 percent chance of being a career player.

Beyond the first round.

This is where the NHL dream begins to fade in a hurry:

From 1990 to 1999, about one-quarter of the players selected in the second round turned into NHL career players.

Those drafted in the third round and beyond are really up against it.

From over 2,000 players selected in the third round and beyond during 1990s, just 261 made it as NHL career players.

That's about 12 percent.
I'm going to go by the criteria above because I believe it is sound criteria indeed.

If you feel otherwise, please feel free to present your own criteria, but remember "we're debating" 1989 - 2006.

Moving right along...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Re ... raft_picks

1989 – 2006 First Round Picks:

1989 Mike Sillinger (11th) 1049 regular season games + 43 playoff games
1990 Keith Primeau (3rd) 909 + 128
1991 Martin Lapointe (19th) 991 + 108
1992 Curtis Bowen (22nd) 0 + 0
1993 Anders Eriksson (22nd) 572 + 36
1994 Yan Golubovsky (23rd) 56 + 0
1995 Maxim Kuznetsov (26th) 136 + 0
1996 Jesse Wallin (26th) 49 + 0
1997 NO FIRST ROUND PICK
1998 Jiri Fischer (25th) 305 + 38
1999 NO FIRST ROUND PICK
2000 Niklas Kronwall (29th) 467 + 79 *still playing
2001 NO FIRST ROUND PICK
2002 NO FIRST ROUND PICK
2003 NO FIRST ROUND PICK
2004 NO FIRST ROUND PICK
2005 Jakub Kindl (19th) 106 + 0 *still playing
2006 NO FIRST ROUND PICK

If young Kindl does reach the 200 game threshold:

7 career NHLers out of 11 = 64% of Wing 1st round picks equate to “career players”.

If young Kindl does NOT reach the 200 game threshold:

6 career NHLers out of 11 = 55% of Wing 1st round picks equate to “career players”.

Compare those numbers with “63% chance of a 1st round pick becoming a career player”

… and consider the fact they accomplished this despite mostly LATE 1st round picks.

Now consider the fact almost all of the guys who made it were work horses.

I mean LOOK at those guys!

That's pretty solid 1st-round drafting...

1989 – 2006 Second Round Picks:

1989 Bob Boughner (32nd) 630 + 65
1990 NO SECOND ROUND PICK
1991 Jamie Pushor (32nd) 521 + 14
1992 Darren McCarty (46th) 758 + 174
1993 John Coleman (48th) 0 + )
1994 Mathieu Dandenault (49th) 868 + 83
1995 Philippe Audette (52nd) 4 + 0
1996 Aren Miller (52nd) 0 + 0
1997 Yuri Butsayev (49th) 99 + 0
1998 Ryan Barnes (55th) 2 + 0
1998 Tomas Valtanen (56th) 0 + 0
1999 NO SECOND ROUND PICK
2000 Tomas Kopecky (38th) 418 + 37
2001 Igor Grigorenko (62nd) 0 + 0
2002 Jiri Hudler (58th) 409 + 60 *still playing
2002 Tomas Fleischmann (63rd) 387 + 29 *still playing
2003 Jimmy Howard (64th) 192 + 28 *still playing
2004 NO SECOND ROUND PICK
2005 Justin Abdelkader (42nd) 208 + 37
2006 Cory Emmerton (41st) 73 + 5 *still playing
2006 Shawn Matthias (47th) 205 + 7 *still playing
2006 Dick Axelsson (62nd) 0 + 0

I think it’s fair to assume young Emmerton will reach the 200 game threshold.

11 career NHLers out of 19 = 58% of Wing 2nd round picks equate to “career players”

…. FAR exceeding the average of 25%.

If you choose to believe Emmerton will NOT reach the 200 game threshold Wings are still at 53% = stellar!

It all adds up to this:

The Red Wings have done a solid job of drafting in the 1st round, given position, in Blob’s stated timeframe.

The Red Wings have done a fantastic job of drafting in the 2nd round in Blob’s stated timeframe.

And of course we all agree the Wings have been lights-out beyond the 2nd round in Blob’s stated timeframe.

Speaking of lights-out Fred.... thanks for coming out. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Topper wrote:The window on the buyout will be interesting.

Last time I wanted Linden's $1mil/yr deal bought out and it probably should have been.

Ballard is obvious, but so too in Luongo if the Aqualung family can afford that one. The Burrows deal looks like an albatross as well.

I just compiled this from CapGeek. Note this is only the NHL roster and does not take into account minor league salaries.

Code: Select all

Team	Cap	Players	To re-sign
isles	31.5	12	
blues	32.1	12	pietrangelo
devils	32.4	13	
yotes	32.9	10	larsson
jets	33.2	9	
ducks	33.8	12	getzlaf, perry
stars	34.1	14	
sens	39.1	13	
leaves	41.5	13	lupul, gunnersson
panthers	41.9	13	
bjs	42.9	14	goal
caps	44.8	12	
wings	45.1	15	howard filppula
preds	45.4	13	
flames	47.8	14	Al Jolson, backlund
oilers	48.5	14	
avs	49.3	19	hejduk
kings	49.4	13	
sabres	49.6	14	CoHo (lol)
canes	50.7	15	
wild	51.1	16	
rags	51.8	16	
pens	52.6	15	
sharks	54.3	14	
canucks	55.4	13	
hawks	57.2	17	
bruins	57.4	16	horton
flyers	57.5	16	
bolts	57.5	15	
habs	60.1	16	
A thank you from Brad Ziemer for doing his leg work would be appreciated.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hock ... story.html
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

If the new Cap is $60 million does this lessen the value of Luongo. Most will know there is now a need more than ever for the 'Nucks to move him ?
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I have a feeling the cap may inch to 62 or 63 million for 13-14. The players have come down from 67 to 65 while the league is holding at 60 atm. If it gets to 62.5 or 63 it isn't much different than last season, so I don't think too many teams will be in financial hell, though the Wild will be close.

With the idea of two amnesty buyouts per team now more of a reality it could reall loosen up the trade market in the league and help some of the teams out of their financial pickle and in turn assist Vancouver in moving Luongo .
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Fred wrote:If the new Cap is $60 million does this lessen the value of Luongo. Most will know there is now a need more than ever for the 'Nucks to move him ?
The Canucks have been in more or less the same position since they re-signed Schneider, both goalies can't remain Canucks forever and with Edler up for a new deal there is a real pinch come 7/1/2013.

That doesn't change whether the cap is $60m or $65m, (although two compliance buy outs mean the Canucks could in fact carry both goaltenders if they really want to).

I've argued all along that a lower cap ceiling may in fact improve Roberto Luongo's trade value.. a lower cap means more teams willing to spend to the ceiling and less cap space to go around and more value to these cap circumventing deals.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Yeah I just heard on team 1040 they're now saying 2 buy outs, is this some thing new ? I thought it was to be limited to 1 player only. The problem with the lower teams is Luongo holds the NTC in his back pocket and does he want to go to a no hope team
cheers
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

As I stated a coupla pages ago, I believe a lower cap would increase Louie's trade value.

I agree with those speculating it ends up being more like a $62 - $63mil cap.

As far as a response to my previous post: Freddy, private message received! :thumbs:

LOL, come on it's just a game and you're just being a poor sport good buddy! :D

Hey, I'll ask the Big Guy to help you find a healthy way to dispel all that pent-up anger, K? :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Detroit was the BEST drafting team from about 89 - 2006 bar none and it isn't even close.
Fred wrote: I'm not trying to make light of the players that Detroit picked up. Clearly great players. But the scouting has praise heaped upon it when IMO it shouldn't. Their selection of players chosen with high picks clearly shows their inability to make good choices. .
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Who gives a rats ass what round the players were taken in ? The fact of the matter is my point stands. Detroit was far and away the best drafting team from the late 80's until 5 years ago. They have drafted way more quality NHL players than any team during that time period.
Fred wrote: No Blob that's not the concept at all. The reason that by FAR the most players in the draft come form the first round is valid...I hope you're not suggesting other wise. You keep screwing up first round picks and guess what it doesn't look good on your resume and after all that's what we're debating here, this magical Detroit scouting machine.
Fred wrote: Bobby that was when Jesus was a boy. TO has a great Stanley Cup record as well ....so they're good ??

Blob Mckenzie wrote: The fact you bring up TO and their cups in the 6 team league to this thread is fairly telling. I knew I smelled shit somewhere......looks like Fred is talking out of his ass again.
Yup.

Fred "what we're debating here" is the drafting record of the Wings from 1989 to 2006.

Blobby has been very clear on that and you have clearly disagreed.

I say the Wings have been at least average over that time frame in the 1st round

(considering their usual position in the bottom-half of the 1st round).

I say the Wings have been fantastic over that time frame in the 2nd round PERIOD.

And of course we all agree they have been 2nd-to-none over that time frame in the lower rounds.

Let's take a closer look, shall we?

Let's....
http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospe ... uccess.htm

Question: How Many NHL Draft Picks Make it to the NHL?

Over 200 players are selected at every NHL draft. How many of them go on to have NHL careers? What are the prospects for a player selected in the first round of the NHL Draft compared to later rounds?

Answer: To properly evaluate a draft, you need a few year's distance from it. So let's look at the 1990s.
To define whether a player "makes it," let's set the threshold at 200 NHL games. We'll call them "career players."

Between 1990 and 1999, there were 2,600 names called at the NHL Entry Draft.

As of 2007, 494 of those players have appeared in at least 200 NHL games. That's a success rate of 19 percent.

But of course, not all draft picks are created equal. The guys picked in the first round are a cut above the rest:

Success rate of first-round draft picks.

Based on the 1990s sample, a first-round draft pick has a 63 percent chance of being a career player.

Beyond the first round.

This is where the NHL dream begins to fade in a hurry:

From 1990 to 1999, about one-quarter of the players selected in the second round turned into NHL career players.

Those drafted in the third round and beyond are really up against it.

From over 2,000 players selected in the third round and beyond during 1990s, just 261 made it as NHL career players.

That's about 12 percent.
I'm going to go by the criteria above because I believe it is sound criteria indeed.

If you feel otherwise, please feel free to present your own criteria, but remember "we're debating" 1989 - 2006.

Moving right along...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Re ... raft_picks

1989 – 2006 First Round Picks:

1989 Mike Sillinger (11th) 1049 regular season games + 43 playoff games
1990 Keith Primeau (3rd) 909 + 128
1991 Martin Lapointe (19th) 991 + 108
1992 Curtis Bowen (22nd) 0 + 0
1993 Anders Eriksson (22nd) 572 + 36
1994 Yan Golubovsky (23rd) 56 + 0
1995 Maxim Kuznetsov (26th) 136 + 0
1996 Jesse Wallin (26th) 49 + 0
1997 NO FIRST ROUND PICK
1998 Jiri Fischer (25th) 305 + 38
1999 NO FIRST ROUND PICK
2000 Niklas Kronwall (29th) 467 + 79 *still playing
2001 NO FIRST ROUND PICK
2002 NO FIRST ROUND PICK
2003 NO FIRST ROUND PICK
2004 NO FIRST ROUND PICK
2005 Jakub Kindl (19th) 106 + 0 *still playing
2006 NO FIRST ROUND PICK

If young Kindl does reach the 200 game threshold:

7 career NHLers out of 11 = 64% of Wing 1st round picks equate to “career players”.

If young Kindl does NOT reach the 200 game threshold:

6 career NHLers out of 11 = 55% of Wing 1st round picks equate to “career players”.

Compare those numbers with “63% chance of a 1st round pick becoming a career player”

… and consider the fact they accomplished this despite mostly LATE 1st round picks.

Now consider the fact almost all of the guys who made it were work horses.

I mean LOOK at those guys!

That's pretty solid 1st-round drafting...

1989 – 2006 Second Round Picks:

1989 Bob Boughner (32nd) 630 + 65
1990 NO SECOND ROUND PICK
1991 Jamie Pushor (32nd) 521 + 14
1992 Darren McCarty (46th) 758 + 174
1993 John Coleman (48th) 0 + )
1994 Mathieu Dandenault (49th) 868 + 83
1995 Philippe Audette (52nd) 4 + 0
1996 Aren Miller (52nd) 0 + 0
1997 Yuri Butsayev (49th) 99 + 0
1998 Ryan Barnes (55th) 2 + 0
1998 Tomas Valtanen (56th) 0 + 0
1999 NO SECOND ROUND PICK
2000 Tomas Kopecky (38th) 418 + 37
2001 Igor Grigorenko (62nd) 0 + 0
2002 Jiri Hudler (58th) 409 + 60 *still playing
2002 Tomas Fleischmann (63rd) 387 + 29 *still playing
2003 Jimmy Howard (64th) 192 + 28 *still playing
2004 NO SECOND ROUND PICK
2005 Justin Abdelkader (42nd) 208 + 37
2006 Cory Emmerton (41st) 73 + 5 *still playing
2006 Shawn Matthias (47th) 205 + 7 *still playing
2006 Dick Axelsson (62nd) 0 + 0

I think it’s fair to assume young Emmerton will reach the 200 game threshold.

11 career NHLers out of 19 = 58% of Wing 2nd round picks equate to “career players”

…. FAR exceeding the average of 25%.

If you choose to believe Emmerton will NOT reach the 200 game threshold Wings are still at 53% = stellar!

It all adds up to this:

The Red Wings have done a solid job of drafting in the 1st round, given position, in Blob’s stated timeframe.

The Red Wings have done a fantastic job of drafting in the 2nd round in Blob’s stated timeframe.

And of course we all agree the Wings have been lights-out beyond the 2nd round in Blob’s stated timeframe.

Speaking of lights-out Fred.... thanks for coming out. :mex:
LOL ! I just read this now. That's some damn good detective work for a doctor. Lights out is about right. :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I just watched a movie where the young Indian bucks led a herd of buffalo off the cliff. I believe they were Sioux but I'm not certain.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: LOL ! I just read this now. That's some damn good detective work for a doctor. Lights out is about right. :lol:
Takes a few bucks to buffalo a troll. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.