Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Boston Canucker » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:51 pm

ukcanuck wrote:There is still no mention of a transition from the previous CBA to the new one so one would hope there will be a formula for teams to get under the new cap. If not and its everyone for themselves, one would think that all the contenders will have the same issues and will have to jettison players and/ or contracts too...

I guess time will tell, however I've said ll along Gilly should hang onto luongo till the trade deadline if no offers meet expectations... Looks like that won't be a problem unless its next years deadline ....

If we do get a short season in, 48 games, I could see Gillis calculating that the team might be in better shape short term with the 1-1A of CS/RL, especially if Kesler's health is such that he can't play say until playoffs (which would almost be ideal) which would mean the need for even stronger goaltending, and would also provide cap relief. Having Luongo in town would be a circus, but that said the whole lockout has been a circus, so would a short season, and thus it might not prove the distraction it would in a long season. Who knows, maybe Gillis does have a Luongo deal pretty much in place, ready to pull the trigger. But if MG is thinking what puts the team short term in a position to take a run, and then deal with all the shedding of contracts/space for next year, Luongo back in Van might be a strong plan B for him...
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby ukcanuck » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Boston Canucker wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:There is still no mention of a transition from the previous CBA to the new one so one would hope there will be a formula for teams to get under the new cap. If not and its everyone for themselves, one would think that all the contenders will have the same issues and will have to jettison players and/ or contracts too...

I guess time will tell, however I've said ll along Gilly should hang onto luongo till the trade deadline if no offers meet expectations... Looks like that won't be a problem unless its next years deadline ....

If we do get a short season in, 48 games, I could see Gillis calculating that the team might be in better shape short term with the 1-1A of CS/RL, especially if Kesler's health is such that he can't play say until playoffs (which would almost be ideal) which would mean the need for even stronger goaltending, and would also provide cap relief. Having Luongo in town would be a circus, but that said the whole lockout has been a circus, so would a short season, and thus it might not prove the distraction it would in a long season. Who knows, maybe Gillis does have a Luongo deal pretty much in place, ready to pull the trigger. But if MG is thinking what puts the team short term in a position to take a run, and then deal with all the shedding of contracts/space for next year, Luongo back in Van might be a strong plan B for him...

Call me naïve but I don't see why having luongo and Schneider together as they were until the right deal comes along. They both are under contract and getting paid, they can suck it up and I have the feeling they would do so without a hitch.

It would oly be pricks like that Botchford who would try to make a mountain of a mole hill and frankly, fuck him.
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:15 pm

ukcanuck wrote:Call me naïve but I don't see why having luongo and Schneider together as they were until the right deal comes along. They both are under contract and getting paid, they can suck it up and I have the feeling they would do so without a hitch.

It would oly be pricks like that Botchford who would try to make a mountain of a mole hill and frankly, fuck him.

You don't see why what?
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:36 pm

Strangelove wrote:Not sure how this will work exactly, but a coupla weeks ago Mirtle explained the “cap benefit recapture formula”.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le6251627/

Not sure if a new CBA would count Lou's pre-new-CBA years (2 years).

If those 2 seasons DO count in the calculations and say Lou retired in July 2018

... I reckon the Canucks would be penalized ~$13.5mil over the last 4 years of the term.

So somewhere around a $3.4mil cap-hit penalty for 4 seasons.

If those 2 seasons DON'T count in the calculations and say Lou retired in July 2018

... I reckon the Canucks would be penalized ~$7.5mil over the last 4 years of the term.

So somewhere around a $1.8mil cap-hit penalty for 4 seasons.

Now if Lou retires in July 2019, Canucks would be faced with either $11.5 or $5.5mil spread over 3 years.

So either $3.8 or $1.8mil cap-hit penalty for 3 seasons.

Now I could be wrong, Mirtle could be wrong, and/or this new proposal may be different.

Also I'm just roughing out the math cuz I'm lazy, so it's gonna be off fo sho.

I looked this up earlier today and couldn't find any more info, maybe it's out now?

Or tomorrow?

Anyway, we could live with a $1.8mil cap penalty in a (probable) $100mil salary cap world.

*crosses fingers*

Brought this over from the "Strike" thread.

Still not seeing anything else about this out there...

Do folks agree with my rough estimates?

I think the new offer from the pwners increases Lou's value in a trade because it is now known it will be the Canucks who will pay any future cap-circumvention penalty. Also, with the Cap going down to $60mil next year, a $5.3mil cap-hit for a Top Ten tender is a good thing. Lastly there's the possibility that Lou may still be in fine form and wanting to play out the last few seasons on that deal (he'd be very valuable and RARE in that case to a low-budget team trying to make the cap-floor = future trade value).

Matthias, Petrovic, and a 2nd. :thumbs:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:46 pm

Don't want Matthias, Doc. Another player of low-intellect. Sorry don't want that, we already have some of that in the current line-up if ya dig. Shore is playing great in the AHL right now, putting up very good numbers for a rookie, 39th in scoring in the AHL, 7 goals and 18 assists, 25 points in 33 games. I'd rather Shore, Petrovic and a 1st round pick.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Fred » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:21 pm

I'd rather Shore, Petrovic and a 1st round pick.

Happy New Year...but this is not the time of giving for the Florida Panthers. They're not giving up that much why ? because they already have a guy named Jacob Markstrom, young and also doing very well in the minors. Luongo is on a long term deal which would make Jacob Markstrom as useful as tits on a bull and cost 10 times less. If I'd like Bugstad plus 2 first rounders ...but it ain't going to happen.

As for TO I'm starting to think with a short season assuming there is a season, they should dog it and get a top ranked prospect in the draft, and there's 2 or 3 beauties in the draft this year, set them up for a long time. BB has to get an understanding from the club to go this route. The problem is for Burkie if there is no season and it becomes a draft lottery :(
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:36 pm

Fred wrote:there's 2 or 3 beauties in the draft this year,

Fred, if you get to pick in the top 6 of the 2013 Draft, you are getting a sure fire star. McKinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan have NHL elite potential.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Boston Canucker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Fred wrote:
I'd rather Shore, Petrovic and a 1st round pick.

Happy New Year...but this is not the time of giving for the Florida Panthers. They're not giving up that much why ? because they already have a guy named Jacob Markstrom, young and also doing very well in the minors. Luongo is on a long term deal which would make Jacob Markstrom as useful as tits on a bull and cost 10 times less. If I'd like Bugstad plus 2 first rounders ...but it ain't going to happen.

As for TO I'm starting to think with a short season assuming there is a season, they should dog it and get a top ranked prospect in the draft, and there's 2 or 3 beauties in the draft this year, set them up for a long time. BB has to get an understanding from the club to go this route. The problem is for Burkie if there is no season and it becomes a draft lottery :(

I read somewhere - could be wrong but sounded plausible - that one proposal for the new CBA was that all non-playoff teams go into the lottery pool. If that did that, would certainly lessen the inclination to tank the season, although teams with no hope would likely still try.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:57 pm

IMO, I would be happy just trading Luongo for a 2013 1st round pick from whatever team, like what the Capitals did by offing Varlamov to the Avalanche. Didn't the Capitals get Filip Forsberg with the Lanche pick? I'd much prefer that than getting the fucking rumored crumbs out that dismal organization the Leafs. I see no long term benefit in the players being suggested from Toronto, how the fuck does Bozak, Franson, Kadri, Colbourne benefit this team going forward? I would rather Gillis be a player with a decent hand going into the 2013 Draft.
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:31 pm

And I fully expect Edmonton to end up with one of those top 6 players and with how the stars have been aligning for them lately, I expect them to walk out of the draft with one of the consensus top 4 in McKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin.
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Fred » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:59 pm

RoyalDude wrote:IMO, I would be happy just trading Luongo for a 2013 1st round pick from whatever team, like what the Capitals did by offing Varlamov to the Avalanche. Didn't the Capitals get Filip Forsberg with the Lanche pick? I'd much prefer that than getting the fucking rumored crumbs out that dismal organization the Leafs. I see no long term benefit in the players being suggested from Toronto, how the fuck does Bozak, Franson, Kadri, Colbourne benefit this team going forward? I would rather Gillis be a player with a decent hand going into the 2013 Draft.

Spot on. But I think the catch maybe to get one of the top 6 picks you have to pretty well send Luongo to a know hope team and he does have a No Trade clause. It would be nice to have the Columbus pick for instance but I can't see Luongo agreeing to that. Maybe BB is not kidding and we should take him seriously when he says he will stick with his current team. If this season goes ahead there's only 24 home games for the fans to suck up and the reward is preetty significant come the draft. Man I like that Druoin kid. I watched him on TV in Nova Scotia quite a bit. He doesn't have the edge McKinnon has to his game but he can sure dangle.

I'm changing my view of Colborne I have to say, he's big but ... Even BB didn't speak glowingly of him in a recent interview and lets be honest BB is a bluster first sort of guy sio if he can't find a lot of good things to say. The kid has skill but ...
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Fred wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:IMO, I would be happy just trading Luongo for a 2013 1st round pick from whatever team, like what the Capitals did by offing Varlamov to the Avalanche. Didn't the Capitals get Filip Forsberg with the Lanche pick? I'd much prefer that than getting the fucking rumored crumbs out that dismal organization the Leafs. I see no long term benefit in the players being suggested from Toronto, how the fuck does Bozak, Franson, Kadri, Colbourne benefit this team going forward? I would rather Gillis be a player with a decent hand going into the 2013 Draft.

Spot on. But I think the catch maybe to get one of the top 6 picks you have to pretty well send Luongo to a know hope team and he does have a No Trade clause. It would be nice to have the Columbus pick for instance but I can't see Luongo agreeing to that. Maybe BB is not kidding and we should take him seriously when he says he will stick with his current team. If this season goes ahead there's only 24 home games for the fans to suck up and the reward is preetty significant come the draft. Man I like that Druoin kid. I watched him on TV in Nova Scotia quite a bit. He doesn't have the edge McKinnon has to his game but he can sure dangle.

I'm changing my view of Colborne I have to say, he's big but ... Even BB didn't speak glowingly of him in a recent interview and lets be honest BB is a bluster first sort of guy sio if he can't find a lot of good things to say. The kid has skill but ...

Don't get to obsessed with size, Fred. For every Schroeder there is an Eberle or a Granlund. You just have to pick the right shrimp. I can't believe you are actually considering Colborne??? From your recent babblings, my respect for your hockey prospect knowledge has completely nose dived.
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Fred » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Look 12 months ago I'd have said the same but are you listening. Just like BB is having a tough time finding good things to say about Colbourne, MG is finding tough sledding trying to find good things to say about Schroeder in recent interviews and lets face it he was benched in the AHL ...not a good sign IMO. It's not as you said all about size but even you have to admit that the Vcr brains trust has had a bias towards size in the last couple of years. And in this case it's not actually a bad tack to take. At the bottom end of the draft order there's not a lot of RNH type skill around. Sure we'd all like RNH or a McKinnon, Drouin pick to be there ...but reality tells me and it should you to you as well we have to some how build a competitive team without any of those type guys. So as MG said we want to be bigger stronger faster and that's what he/they are doing...following that tack ! Will a Schroeder or a jockey named Jarnkrok type fit in, maybe but I don't see it....repeat after me ......bigger younger faster.

Detroit is NOT overloaded with prospects it's a fantasy repeated over and over by media & fans....like sheep. They had a couple of lucky picks years ago but since then have wasted a lot of picks. Most of it was covered up pre Cap days by buying players...no more. I'm going to be interested to see how they do without Lidstrom playing 25 minutes a game.

Frankly the team I have commented on for a few seasons now is Florida, they're loaded with prospects IMO.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/8 ... prospects/
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Fred wrote:
Detroit is NOT overloaded with prospects it's a fantasy repeated over and over by media & fans....like sheep. They had a couple of lucky picks years ago but since then have wasted a lot of picks. Most of it was covered up pre Cap days by buying players...no more. I'm going to be interested to see how they do without Lidstrom playing 25 minutes a game.

Detroit was the BEST drafting team from about 89 - 2006 bar none and it isn't even close. Since then, sure they don't have a ton in their pipeline but they aren't exactly devoid of talent either. A couple of lucky picks years ago ? Wake up man . They built their nucleus with superb drafting and supplemented their team with a few high priced UFA.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005492.html
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Meds » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:22 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Don't get to obsessed with size, Fred. For every Schroeder there is an Eberle or a Granlund. You just have to pick the right shrimp.

Ummmm.....

My respect for your prospect and player analysis capabilities just nose-dived.....not that it was a helluvalot, but still.

For ever Eberle or Granlund there are probably 2 or 3 Schroeders would be more accurate.
Meds
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat