Prospects Thread 2012-13

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Prospects Thread 2012-13

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Friday Dec 21

ECHL

Fort Wayne 5 Kalamazoo 3
Anthony 0 points, even
Mallet 0 points, +1
Polasek 1 goal (4th), +2
Rai did not play

QMJHL

Moncton 4 Cape Breton 3 (OT)
Honzik was the backup (Trudeau 39 saves on 43 shots)

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Saturday Dec 22

AHL

Chicago 1 Grand Rapids 2 (OT)
Climie 26 saves on 28 shots

Archibald, (5) (Connauton, Tanev) (PP)

Wolves hit the post 4 times on good scoring chances, and had a Kassian shot cleared by a defenseman on what looked like a sure goal.

ECHL

Kalamazoo 3 Evansville 4
Anthony did not play
Mallet 1 goal (1st), +1
Polasek 0 points, +1
Rai did not play

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

One more goal by Archibald and he will be in a tie with Kassian's 6 goals.

I see Schultz banged in two goals last night. Gillis you hard-liner negotiator, you watching?

Pirri (Drafted 59th overall 2009 By Blackhawsk) 10 goals and 12 assists in the AHL (42nd in scoring)
Tatar (Drafted 60th overall 2009 By Red Wings) 11 goals and 12 assists in the AHL (31st in scoring)
Rodin (Drafted 53rd overall 2009 by Gillis) 1 goal and 7 assists in the AHL (352nd in scoring)

Silfverberg (Drafted 39th overall 2009 by Senators) 11 goals 11 assists in AHL (38th in scoring)
Ferraro (Drafted 32nd overall in 2009 by Red Wings) 9 goals 11 assists in AHL (59th in scoring)
Shore (Drafted 44th overall in 2009 by Panthers) 6 goals 14 assist in AHL (63rd in scoring)
Palmieri (Drafted 26th overall in 2009 by Ducks) 9 goals 10 assists in AHL (67th in scoring)
Morin (drafted 45th overall in 2009 by Hurricanes) 10 goals 7 assists in AHL (91st in scoring)
Schroeder (drafted 22nd overall in 2009 by Gillis) 7 goals 8 assists in AHL (134th in scoring)

The Red Wings prove once again, that they are the masters at finding gems in the later rounds, unlike Gillis. No excuses for Gillis poor drafting. This is a very bad year for Gillis in drafting. If we had, lets say drafted O'Reilly instead of Schroeder and lets say Marcus Foligno instead of Rodin. Our futures is a whole different ball game.

Nevermind that, if Gillis had just simply stuck with the mantra of drafting Pizano's like he did with Corrado, we could have either or of Palmieri, Ferraro, Pirri or Foligno instead of Rodin or Schroeder.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

All good points RD, here's a one you missed though Vcr Canucks top team in the league, not insignificant you'd agree plus of course Jensen top goal scoring rookie in the SEL as a 19 year old. Gaunce as an 18 year old is the leading scorer with Belleville despite playing 8 games less than the rest of the team.

The list you give has 2 Detroit picks and of those 2 forget Tartar he has been in the AHL since he was 18 and has done very little and during call up did very little 175 soaking wet Fararo is very doubtful. Their best prospect is Gustav Nyquist

Can you see the Canucks in a couple of years. Kassian 6'4" Archbald 6'3" Jensen 6'3" Gaunce 6'2" they're going big Maybe Labate 6'4" and kid I wanna keep an eye on Polasak 6'3" and can play the game and throw them to. The Canucks have some good defensive prospects, to old for the WJC but still showing well McNally, Price, Anderson, Tanev, Corrado, Connauton and most think Lack is a quality prospect

Schultz was a screw up IMO and MG has to accept that responsibility but he was true to his philosophy every one earns a spot. It's my understanding that they're really pounding on Schroeder right now about his defensive responsibilities, but if this is all he has it ain't going to do the job. One thing that has really pisssed me off about the farm system is the constant change of coaches every year. It has to be screwing with the kids heads

I see Steve Pinizzotto is injured again
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

cheers
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

No pressure kid! Yikes - 14 and having those types of names being thrown around will definitely weigh on your mind!

That said, if he does go WHL next year it seems like he will hold his own. At 14 he's the same height/weight as a full grown adult (no doubt has to learn to use it), but by the time he's full grown at 19 or so, may be a beast. And those stats are just ridiculous. I remembering hearing about Crosby ~10 years ago and thought, "man, that's some pressure." But sure enough he's now become arguably the best hockey player on the planet. I guess some of these phenoms live up to the hype and manage to park all the self-doubts aside and live up to the huge expectations.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Archibald absolutely destroys Chicago prospect Andrew Shaw in a clean open ice hit. Coach changes up the lines and puts big Zack with Archie and Friesen which has ignited the whole team.
It's amazing how he can play when the right fire is lit under his ass. Wish he was more consistent but we can certainly see the talent that lies waiting to be unleashed!
If you need air...call it in
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Where did you see all this ?

Shaw's a mouthy guy any way and if he catches a guy with his head down do exactly the same.

Lets hope Archibald can carry on like this. Remember Smyl he was a player that looked for the hit first and the puck second. If Archibald can do that he'll make the team. Kassian on the other hand strikes me as a player that's looking to make the play first and only resorts to the hit mostly by accident. He nees to make some early hits to get his mojo working
cheers
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Fred wrote:Where did you see all this ?
I'll PM u the link...I watch quite a few wolves games online and the quality isn't great but given the lack of hockey, it works
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

That Anthony Camara looks like he is going to be a decent pro even if he's a little bit of a loose cannon. Guess Gillis didn't like that and picked David Honzik instead. Oh well Kalamazoo will need a 4th string goalie, while the Boston Bruins appear to have found yet another a-hole power forward.

Keegan Lowe could have also been a decent pick there. Hard nosed stay at home d-man with some decent blood lines. Gillis does seem to be really shitting the bed in the 2nd - 4th rounds . I have no problem with his 1st round picks other than JS but he really needs to start finding some prospects after the first round.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I guess you have take the good with the bad. I bet there's a few GM wondering how Corrado was passed over or Tanev allowed to be a FA. How many kick themselves when Burrows turned out to be the player he is ( mind you that was Sutherland of the Moose that made the play, never understand why MG didn't sign Sutherland ) or how about Hansen a 9th rounder i think. How about Lack.

Seems to me it points out that scouting is more art then science

Considering their draft position you have to like the chances of Jensen and Gaunce. Plus of course Connauton, Rodin, McNally, Price and Labate have yet to be declared wash outs.

Seems like there's a change of focus for the Vcr draft, there's definitely a trend towards big and they are assembling a bunch of big big players. Will it work, I guess time will tell, but you have to start drooling with lines like Gaunce, Jensen and Kassian and who knows Archibald is coming on, man that's some beef
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I see its taken Archibald a total of 11 games to match Kassian's 6 goal output.

I see it hasn't taken Taylor Hall long to climb into the top 10 in scoring after missing the first 8 games of the season. Won't be long till he catches up to his two mates in the top 2 positions on the scoring list.

I see Blob Mackenzie is finally recognizing Gillis MGMT regime poor eye for talent at drafting and trading. Way too many misses.
The 2009 draft IMO is the most painful draft year in Canuck history. So many misses. Yeah, that Camara looks like a beaut. I'm still irked we picked Schroeder instead of Johansson.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

In the 7 games that Cody has been in since coming off his injury he has 4 goals, 4 assists for 8 points in 7 games. Giving him 5 goals, 13 assists, 18 points in 16 games.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:I see its taken Archibald a total of 11 games to match Kassian's 6 goal output.

I see it hasn't taken Taylor Hall long to climb into the top 10 in scoring after missing the first 8 games of the season. Won't be long till he catches up to his two mates in the top 2 positions on the scoring list.

I see Blob Mackenzie is finally recognizing Gillis MGMT regime poor eye for talent at drafting and trading. Way too many misses.
The 2009 draft IMO is the most painful draft year in Canuck history. So many misses. Yeah, that Camara looks like a beaut. I'm still irked we picked Schroeder instead of Johansson.
You see fuck all as usual. I and a few others have said Gillis and scouting dept have blown a couple picks. We don't cry and piss and moan like a 6 yr old about it. My two biggest beefs and i raised them at the time unlike yourself were the Honzick and Sauve picks. If the Canucks had picked Patty Weircioch and Camarra instead of the two scrubs the system would be close to middle of the pack.

The 2009 draft outside of JS in the 1st round isn't that bad Captain 20-20. I have always advocated for drafting goalies and small skilled forwards in the later rounds. Schroeder is a Brendan Gallagher/ Jon Gaudreau type.....roll the dice on those guys in the 4th or 5th round , not the fucking first.

And your nonsense about Hall and Hodgson lighting it up is a joke. THEY PLAY WITH BETTER YOUNG PLAYERS DUE TO THE FACT THEIR PARENT TEAMS SUCKED ASS FOR THE LAST DECADE. OF COURSE THEY WILL PAD THEIR FUCKING STATS IN AN INFERIOR LEAGUE BECAUSE IF THERE WAS AN NHL SEASON THEY WOULD BE SUTING UP FOR THEIR CRAPPY TEAMS.

WAKE THE FUCK UP DUDE......BURN A GAGGER AMIO
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

RoyalDude wrote:I see its taken Archibald a total of 11 games to match Kassian's 6 goal output.

The thing is you can't become fixated on the poor or bad choices, you have to balance them with good choices and good moves. Frankly if Hodgson was such a pain in the ass or his agents ( that guys noted as an asshole ) plus his father I'd have moved him as well. I recall giving away a great account on one occassion for much the same reason, lifes to short to have to listen to this shit every day. Eventually it becomes a cancer. You can't preach harmony, one for all and all for one when one jerk is undermining you.

I'll say this I think MG achillies is his Pro Scouts
You can't simply write off the Manager of one the leagues best teams with tantrums.
cheers