Booth kills baited bear

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Per »

As mentioned by many others, I don't think that thre are many of us that would favour a total ban on guns. It's just that the US needs to put in place at least some basic gun control.

Sweden actually ranks tenth in the world when it comes to guns per capita; we have more guns than eg Canada (31.6/100 people, compared to Canada's 30.8).

Hunting is a very popular pastime, it's estimated that some 570,000 Swedes hunt, and every year some 90,000 moose (more than the rest of the world combined) and 200,000 roe deer are shot. Bear hunting is restricted, only about 50 or so per year are licensed to be shot, but there is substantial hunting of fowl, hares and rabbits.

But in order to own/buy guns in Sweden you need a license, much like a drivers license. You get educated on gun safety and have to pass both practical and theoretical tests, plus a background test against criminal and mental health records. Once you have your license you are free to buy and own guns.

All sales of guns and ammunition are registered and records are kept. You can only buy ammunition to guns you have legally acquired. Automatic guns are illegal, and you need special permits for semi-automatic guns. Armour-piercing, incendiary and expanding ammunition is illegal.

Furthermore, guns must be kept in a safe manner, with a vital part of the gun (eg bolt or tailpiece) removed and kept in a safe when not being used. Thus to steal a gun, the thieves have to break into not only the locked gun rack, but also a separate safety box. Makes it trickier for them, but of course not impossible, if they have plenty of time. Anyway, this means that having a functioning gun lying around in the house is a criminal offense. You only assemble the vital part when you're about to use it, for eg hunting or target shooting.

Despite all this, it's estimated that there are roughly as many illegal as legal guns. A huge problem being that many other countries (eg the USA) have too lax gun laws, and criminals then transport guns across borders.

But on the bright side we have very few gun related deaths, Typically less than twenty per year.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/sweden
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Despite all this, it's estimated that there are roughly as many illegal as legal guns.
Exactly, the bad guys will always get aholda guns no matter what.
Per wrote: But on the bright side we have very few gun related deaths, Typically less than twenty per year.

Ummm "20 per year" HOMICIDE-by-gun deaths

+ 5 "unintentional" gun deaths

+ 120 suicide-by gun deaths :shock:

= more like 145 "gun related deaths".

According to your site.... and in a nation of only 9.5mil!

Per, why are your fellow Swedes committing suicide at such a ridiculous rate??

(120 by gun and about 1300 per year altogether!)

(more that twice the rate per capita of say UK!!)

Does it have anything to do with the fact that almost all of you are heathens? :hmmm:

Could it be partly due to the fact your divorce rate is amongst the highest in the world?

I could be wrong but a quick glance at the stats indicates this is more of a problem among the youth.

If so, perhaps this has something to do with the way houses are designed over there?

I read somewhere the bedrooms tend to face each other... or all face toward the living room

... or some shit.

See in Christendom we understand it's NOT a good idea to afford the children a good view of parents making out. :scowl:

(and going by your divorce rate it seems their parents are often making out with the parents of their friends)

geesh, a good christian like David Booth kills a bear and folks are up in arms

... meanwhile millions of Godless adulterous Swedes are driving their kids to suicide and no one says nary a word...

WOT A WORLD!!! :crazy:

Last edited by Strangelove on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

a good christian like David Booth kills a bear and folks are up in arms
Just for you Doc the 10 Commandments plus the additional commandment added in at the end !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpL2m6XJhQw
cheers
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Fred wrote: Just for you Doc the 10 Commandments plus the additional commandment added in at the end !!!
I'm not a Jew, I'm a Christian YOU DUMFUCK!! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

So when did the Christians stop following the 10 commandments DUMBFUCK
cheers
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Well we do and we don't :drink: .... DUMFUCK!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_ ... d_covenant
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:Well we do and we don't :drink: .... DUMFUCK!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_ ... d_covenant
Leading to the classic question; what is worse in the eyes of thy Lord, having gay sex or eating prawn?
Or is it a tie? :eh:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Christian virtues certainly seemed to have changed since my days. Doubt the 10 commandments, riding on dinosaurs, :D

Here's one you might enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0zWbL8Uqfw
cheers
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:
Per wrote: But on the bright side we have very few gun related deaths, Typically less than twenty per year.

Ummm "20 per year" HOMICIDE-by-gun deaths
+ 5 "unintentional" gun deaths
+ 120 suicide-by gun deaths :shock:
= more like 145 "gun related deaths".
Oops! Meant of course gun related homicides. :oops:
Strangelove wrote:Per, why are your fellow Swedes committing suicide at such a ridiculous rate??
We're actually at the OECD average. Sure, slightly higher than the US and Canada, but not significantly.
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... the-world/
Strangelove wrote:Does it have anything to do with the fact that almost all of you are heathens? :hmmm:
Are we? :eh:

A survey in 2009 showed the following grouping among Swedes:
49% not religious
35% christian
2% buddhist
1% islam
5% other religion
8% prefer not to say

Guess it depends on your definition of heathen. :?

Most commonly it's a synonym to pagan, and then no.
Sometimes, however, it's expanded to include "anyone who does not acknowledge the god of the bible", and in that case - ok, quite a few of us are, but hardly "almost all"; I mean, there's a known 36% following the Abrahamian god, and I assume a good chunk out of the 5% other religion and 8% prefer-not-to-say may fail to qualify as heathens as well.

Still, as an atheist I would think our opposition to suicide would be stronger, as we believe this is all we get. Christians, muslims, hindus et al believe there's more to come, so it ought to be less of a treshold to them, really. :|

http://www.fgi-tbff.org/sites/default/f ... g_pack.pdf
Strangelove wrote:Could it be partly due to the fact your divorce rate is amongst the highest in the world?
:lol: surely, eh? Being stuck in a bad marriage must be so much better than ending it, eh? :roll:
I'd assume our divorce rate is high because we have no fault divorce. Any one wants out, it's over. No need for the other person to sign, no guilty party, no reasons why, no alimony. Just split up the belongings 50-50 (unless there's a prenup) move out and start over. Divorce seems so much more complicated on American TV shows. But I guess all those lawyers they have need to make a living...

And still our divorce rate is similar to that in the USA. Go figure.
Strangelove wrote:I could be wrong but a quick glance at the stats indicates this is more of a problem among the youth.

If so, perhaps this has something to do with the way houses are designed over there?

I read somewhere the bedrooms tend to face each other... or all face toward the living room

... or some shit.
Well, you shouldn't believe all that drivel you pick up from Fox News and the Westboro baptists.
It's hardly ever reality-based. :roll:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This is what I don't get about the war-loving, gun-loving, violence loving NRA Aryan Christian Republicans such as yerself Doc. The American War Mongering Republican Christian and their beliefs go completely AGAINST the beliefs of your boy Jesus. Here is an interesting article I pulled -

Jesus Christ is Anti-war

It baffles me that many Christians so willingly support war, and vote for leaders who advocate policies of war, interventionism, and increasing the size of one’s military. As Christians, we are followers of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who preached a gospel of love, peace, and nonviolence. During the buildup to the Iraq War, Christians, particularly Conservative Christians, were the loudest supporters of a war that Jesus Christ would never had supported.

Even with the election of Barack Obama, who promised to end the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and cease illegal military operations – the United States still has 30,000 troops in Iraq (and we all know they will not be coming home anytime soon), has escalated the war in Afghanistan, and is conducting a continuous (illegal and unconstitutional) bombing campaigns in Waziristan, Pakistan. More American soldiers have died fighting in Afghanistan under the Obama Administration than the Bush Administration, something the media keeps silent and the American public doesn’t know. One thousand two-hundred and seventy (1,270) soldiers have died since Barack Obama trumpeted an end to the Bush Administration’s reckless military policies (1,853 American soldiers have died in total since the war began in 2001). Yet, despite the increase in deaths, American Christians continue to push and support the war effort.

Jesus Christ lived a life of nonviolence. He preached to turn the other cheek when struck. He taught that those who live by the sword will die by the sword. He disarmed Simon Peter when the Romans came to arrest Him. He said that the peacemakers are true sons of God. These are the teachings and actions of Jesus Christ, the central figure in Christian – the Son of God, it is time that His supposed followers live by His example.

The Moral teachings of Jesus Christ, let alone His life, are incompatible with war – even under the Just War Theory. Christ never fought against His persecutors, even up to His dying breathe on the Cross. Jesus taught us to love our enemies, and to pray for those who oppress us. Jesus is never on anyone’s side when war breaks out. This is something that is hard for Americans to comprehend. Jesus Christ does not support America’s foreign policy, He never has, and He never will. Jesus Christ condemns all wars and violence, thus, He condemns America when we go to war. War is a human construct, a human thing, not something that God Himself takes sides on.

It may be true that during wars, like World War II, that a certain side has chosen a more noble and righteous cause for fighting, but it is still war, it is still violence, it is still destroying human life, it is still destroying God’s creation, and there is not a single verse where Christ even hints at the idea that war and violence are justifiable. As Christians, we are called to a higher law, and that higher law is love, compassion, and mercy. Christians should not revel in the thoughts of war. Christians should never advocate war. Christians should never engage in violence. But right now, many Christians are reveling in thoughts of war, advocating war, and hoping to engage in violence – against Iran. “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” (Romans 12:21). Although we are thinking of war, Christ is preaching peace, and stands at the ready to condemn those who seek, and go to war.

No matter how you look at it, war, regardless of which side you are fighting on, is an evil, a scourge so undesirable that anything else is preferable. War breaks families. War destroys nations. Wars take the lives of men, women, sons, daughters, fathers, and mothers. Some Christians will bring Old Testament passages to support war, but Christ condemns these teachings, “You have heard it said, an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth. But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn him the other also” (Matthew 5:38-39). Any Christian that goes around claiming that God is pro-war is a false prophet, a false teacher of the Gospel who has turned the Prince of Peace into the Prince of Imperialism to justify his nation’s actions. Of course, when you put your country over Christ, then claim allegiance to Christ, whatever your nation does becomes sanctioned by God – and this a false theology.

War breaks the heart of God, and goes against everything that Christ lived, preached, died, and rose again for. As Christians, we are not only to have faith through Christ, but we are called to be Christ-like, walking in His footsteps, and following His light. Christians continue to support war. Christians continue to support governments and nations that engage in war, state-terrorism, and brutal repressions. If Christ arrived in the midst of a battle, and was told that His followers are taking part in the violent conflict that is killing other people, He would deny us. As a Christian, we are called upon to be against all wars, even if our nation is engaging in such a conflict. Christians should remember the life of Jesus Christ, and His iconic teaching from the Sermon on the Mount, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.”
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:This is what I don't get about the war-loving, gun-loving, violence loving NRA Aryan Christian Republicans such as yerself Doc. The American War Mongering Republican Christian and their beliefs go completely AGAINST the beliefs of your boy Jesus. Here is an interesting article I pulled -
A bit naïve this article, of course the world would be a better place, heaven on earth one might say, but that isn't the world we live in.

We humans brought evil into the mix with original sin. some might say it was a conscious decision on our part (Adam)
Others might say it we were tricked
(Serpent or Eve....or both)

Still others might say its in our nature and we cannot rise above out violent ways without direct help from Christ.

For that you kinda have to believe there is a God or at least one of your understanding, but considering God created the universe he might choose to save your ass, who knows?

The point is the best anyone can do is try to live the life Jesus set as an example...

So peace to everyone, but that doesn't make me stupid so if you are gonna roll the blitzkrieg, well fuck you...
Jesus Christ wrote: “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.”
If it was easy you would just be called a son of a bitch...
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Ah Religions, very selective in which parts of the christian philosophy they like and which parts are overlooked...by choice. Tough to take serious when they're so hypocritical. Heck do what ever they want, it's their choice. But don't preach to others...and protect priest they know have done wrong with children. Between gun toting religious folks and those bending kids over the pulpit you'd think they'd run for cover...but no they actually flaunt it :lol:
cheers
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

RoyalDude wrote: Some Christians will bring Old Testament passages to support war, but Christ condemns these teachings, “You have heard it said, an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth. But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn him the other also” (Matthew 5:38-39).
:o

Jesus would have made a really lousy hockey player...

:drink:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Per wrote:

Jesus would have made a really lousy hockey player...

:drink:
Doesn't seem to bother Booth or Hamhuis or many other born agains :D
cheers
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Fred wrote: Ah Religions, very selective in which parts of the christian philosophy they like and which parts are overlooked...by choice. Tough to take serious when they're so hypocritical.
Did he really just call 93% of the world's population "hypocritical"! :crazy:

OMG Freddy, it's a lot closer to 100% you self-righteous sumbitch! :drink:

OMG!!!
____
Try to focus on someday.