Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Fred »

paddy wrote:Pacific Blue while the Good Doctor Strangelove of the Corner and some of his confreres here have been drooling over the Panthers roster I have stood by a Leaf deal from the get go... When this lockout ends Look for more of these to hit the shelves...

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu ... --nhl.html

Every time Hockey is mentioned in Central Canada it includes the words "The leaves " every player in the league wants to play there, every manager wants to manage there every media man wants to write about "The leaves" ....or so central Canada believes. They don't have a lot or any thing to offer. They're a loosing team because they have a shitty roster.

I see Colbourne is out right now with concussion issues, he can't stay healthy
cheers
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Since the new CBA will likely have a buyout option given the NHL's proposal today, it's got to be Ballard for the Canucks right? Aquilini will eat that one to open up room I'd expect, and the Luongo trade will probably squeeze out some more cap space for the team
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Boston Canucker wrote:Since the new CBA will likely have a buyout option given the NHL's proposal today, it's got to be Ballard for the Canucks right? Aquilini will eat that one to open up room I'd expect, and the Luongo trade will probably squeeze out some more cap space for the team
Hopefully the team can hold onto the right to buy a player out for awhile; I still feel Ballard has improved as a Canuck and could have some value by the time the team needs to get under a reduced cap ceiling.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The window on the buyout will be interesting.

Last time I wanted Linden's $1mil/yr deal bought out and it probably should have been.

Ballard is obvious, but so too in Luongo if the Aqualung family can afford that one. The Burrows deal looks like an albatross as well.

I just compiled this from CapGeek. Note this is only the NHL roster and does not take into account minor league salaries.

Code: Select all

Team	Cap	Players	To re-sign
isles	31.5	12	
blues	32.1	12	pietrangelo
devils	32.4	13	
yotes	32.9	10	larsson
jets	33.2	9	
ducks	33.8	12	getzlaf, perry
stars	34.1	14	
sens	39.1	13	
leaves	41.5	13	lupul, gunnersson
panthers	41.9	13	
bjs	42.9	14	goal
caps	44.8	12	
wings	45.1	15	howard filppula
preds	45.4	13	
flames	47.8	14	Al Jolson, backlund
oilers	48.5	14	
avs	49.3	19	hejduk
kings	49.4	13	
sabres	49.6	14	CoHo (lol)
canes	50.7	15	
wild	51.1	16	
rags	51.8	16	
pens	52.6	15	
sharks	54.3	14	
canucks	55.4	13	
hawks	57.2	17	
bruins	57.4	16	horton
flyers	57.5	16	
bolts	57.5	15	
habs	60.1	16	
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

There is still no mention of a transition from the previous CBA to the new one so one would hope there will be a formula for teams to get under the new cap. If not and its everyone for themselves, one would think that all the contenders will have the same issues and will have to jettison players and/ or contracts too...

I guess time will tell, however I've said ll along Gilly should hang onto luongo till the trade deadline if no offers meet expectations... Looks like that won't be a problem unless its next years deadline ....
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So would the Canucks use their buy out on Luongo? Seriously? It is a definite reality looking at this one off concession. Wouldn't that be anti-climatic!
It would mean trade values of high price tag players are near non-existent and elevate the values of good, cheap entry level contracts ever further. Damn. The dudes' gonna be struttin like the cock of the walk after this one...
If you need air...call it in
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

ukcanuck wrote:There is still no mention of a transition from the previous CBA to the new one so one would hope there will be a formula for teams to get under the new cap. If not and its everyone for themselves, one would think that all the contenders will have the same issues and will have to jettison players and/ or contracts too...

I guess time will tell, however I've said ll along Gilly should hang onto luongo till the trade deadline if no offers meet expectations... Looks like that won't be a problem unless its next years deadline ....
If we do get a short season in, 48 games, I could see Gillis calculating that the team might be in better shape short term with the 1-1A of CS/RL, especially if Kesler's health is such that he can't play say until playoffs (which would almost be ideal) which would mean the need for even stronger goaltending, and would also provide cap relief. Having Luongo in town would be a circus, but that said the whole lockout has been a circus, so would a short season, and thus it might not prove the distraction it would in a long season. Who knows, maybe Gillis does have a Luongo deal pretty much in place, ready to pull the trigger. But if MG is thinking what puts the team short term in a position to take a run, and then deal with all the shedding of contracts/space for next year, Luongo back in Van might be a strong plan B for him...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Boston Canucker wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:There is still no mention of a transition from the previous CBA to the new one so one would hope there will be a formula for teams to get under the new cap. If not and its everyone for themselves, one would think that all the contenders will have the same issues and will have to jettison players and/ or contracts too...

If we do get a short season in, 48 games, I could see Gillis calculating that the team might be in better shape short term with the 1-1A of CS/RL, especially if Kesler's health is such that he can't play say until playoffs (which would almost be ideal) which would mean the need for even stronger goaltending, and would also provide cap relief. Having Luongo in town would be a circus, but that said the whole lockout has been a circus, so would a short season, and thus it might not prove the distraction it would in a long season. Who knows, maybe Gillis does have a Luongo deal pretty much in place, ready to pull the trigger. But if MG is thinking what puts the team short term in a position to take a run, and then deal with all the shedding of contracts/space for next year, Luongo back in Van might be a strong plan B for him...
Call me naïve but I don't see why having luongo and Schneider together as they were until the right deal comes along. They both are under contract and getting paid, they can suck it up and I have the feeling they would do so without a hitch.

It would oly be pricks like that Botchford who would try to make a mountain of a mole hill and frankly, fuck him.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: Call me naïve but I don't see why having luongo and Schneider together as they were until the right deal comes along. They both are under contract and getting paid, they can suck it up and I have the feeling they would do so without a hitch.

It would oly be pricks like that Botchford who would try to make a mountain of a mole hill and frankly, fuck him.
You don't see why what?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Not sure how this will work exactly, but a coupla weeks ago Mirtle explained the “cap benefit recapture formula”.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le6251627/

Not sure if a new CBA would count Lou's pre-new-CBA years (2 years).

If those 2 seasons DO count in the calculations and say Lou retired in July 2018

... I reckon the Canucks would be penalized ~$13.5mil over the last 4 years of the term.

So somewhere around a $3.4mil cap-hit penalty for 4 seasons.

If those 2 seasons DON'T count in the calculations and say Lou retired in July 2018

... I reckon the Canucks would be penalized ~$7.5mil over the last 4 years of the term.

So somewhere around a $1.8mil cap-hit penalty for 4 seasons.

Now if Lou retires in July 2019, Canucks would be faced with either $11.5 or $5.5mil spread over 3 years.

So either $3.8 or $1.8mil cap-hit penalty for 3 seasons.

Now I could be wrong, Mirtle could be wrong, and/or this new proposal may be different.

Also I'm just roughing out the math cuz I'm lazy, so it's gonna be off fo sho.

I looked this up earlier today and couldn't find any more info, maybe it's out now?

Or tomorrow?

Anyway, we could live with a $1.8mil cap penalty in a (probable) $100mil salary cap world.

*crosses fingers*
Brought this over from the "Strike" thread.

Still not seeing anything else about this out there...

Do folks agree with my rough estimates?

I think the new offer from the pwners increases Lou's value in a trade because it is now known it will be the Canucks who will pay any future cap-circumvention penalty. Also, with the Cap going down to $60mil next year, a $5.3mil cap-hit for a Top Ten tender is a good thing. Lastly there's the possibility that Lou may still be in fine form and wanting to play out the last few seasons on that deal (he'd be very valuable and RARE in that case to a low-budget team trying to make the cap-floor = future trade value).

Matthias, Petrovic, and a 2nd. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Don't want Matthias, Doc. Another player of low-intellect. Sorry don't want that, we already have some of that in the current line-up if ya dig. Shore is playing great in the AHL right now, putting up very good numbers for a rookie, 39th in scoring in the AHL, 7 goals and 18 assists, 25 points in 33 games. I'd rather Shore, Petrovic and a 1st round pick.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I'd rather Shore, Petrovic and a 1st round pick.

Happy New Year...but this is not the time of giving for the Florida Panthers. They're not giving up that much why ? because they already have a guy named Jacob Markstrom, young and also doing very well in the minors. Luongo is on a long term deal which would make Jacob Markstrom as useful as tits on a bull and cost 10 times less. If I'd like Bugstad plus 2 first rounders ...but it ain't going to happen.

As for TO I'm starting to think with a short season assuming there is a season, they should dog it and get a top ranked prospect in the draft, and there's 2 or 3 beauties in the draft this year, set them up for a long time. BB has to get an understanding from the club to go this route. The problem is for Burkie if there is no season and it becomes a draft lottery :(
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:there's 2 or 3 beauties in the draft this year,
Fred, if you get to pick in the top 6 of the 2013 Draft, you are getting a sure fire star. McKinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan have NHL elite potential.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Fred wrote:
I'd rather Shore, Petrovic and a 1st round pick.

Happy New Year...but this is not the time of giving for the Florida Panthers. They're not giving up that much why ? because they already have a guy named Jacob Markstrom, young and also doing very well in the minors. Luongo is on a long term deal which would make Jacob Markstrom as useful as tits on a bull and cost 10 times less. If I'd like Bugstad plus 2 first rounders ...but it ain't going to happen.

As for TO I'm starting to think with a short season assuming there is a season, they should dog it and get a top ranked prospect in the draft, and there's 2 or 3 beauties in the draft this year, set them up for a long time. BB has to get an understanding from the club to go this route. The problem is for Burkie if there is no season and it becomes a draft lottery :(
I read somewhere - could be wrong but sounded plausible - that one proposal for the new CBA was that all non-playoff teams go into the lottery pool. If that did that, would certainly lessen the inclination to tank the season, although teams with no hope would likely still try.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

IMO, I would be happy just trading Luongo for a 2013 1st round pick from whatever team, like what the Capitals did by offing Varlamov to the Avalanche. Didn't the Capitals get Filip Forsberg with the Lanche pick? I'd much prefer that than getting the fucking rumored crumbs out that dismal organization the leaves. I see no long term benefit in the players being suggested from Toronto, how the fuck does Bozak, Franson, Kadri, Colbourne benefit this team going forward? I would rather Gillis be a player with a decent hand going into the 2013 Draft.