Booth kills baited bear

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Chef Boi RD »

okcanuck wrote: I wonder if even you would change your mind about assault rifles if the cops actually published the pictures with a before and after.
I highly doubt it. They wouldn't change their minds about such weaponry being out in the public market unless it were one of their own that were on the receiving end of one.

It's quite simple, if the public at large cannot be responsible with such human killing assault weaponry, it's time to remove them from the retail shelves.

10,000 americans killed by guns every year. 60,000 Americans were killed in vietnam war over a 10 year period. Firearms killed 60,000 americans on their own soil in just 6 years. GO GUNS GO!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: I tell you what put down the gun and lets go a few rounds in the ring? Then we'll see who the real woman is. :)
It's too late for the 'Rodius Part Deux' act Dude, thanks to your posting of late we can't help but see you as a woman.

A small hairy woman, no offence intended.

Besides, anyone ever see a tough spandex-wearing bicycle boy? :lol:

Now imagine 20 years and 20 tons of pasta later!
RoyalDude wrote: 10,000 americans killed by guns every year. 60,000 Americans were killed in vietnam war over a 10 year period. Firearms killed 60,000 americans on their own soil in just 6 years. GO GUNS GO!
Guns don't kill people, suck it up Buttercup!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Good thing there is no baiting going on in this thread. :roll:
That reminds me, shouldn't this thread have been titled Booth Bags Baited Bear? :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Good thing there is no baiting going on in this thread. :roll:
That reminds me, shouldn't this thread have been titled Booth Bags Baited Bear? :)

Are you a hunter Doc? Never heard the term bagged?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

okcanuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

He's a Tea Party, Tea Bagger, what do you expect. :)
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
Guns don't kill people, suck it up Buttercup!
Well, you are right but according the stats seeing that the American public at large cannot be responsible with assault weaponry, maybe it's time to take the toy away. Maybe it's time for the NRA to start getting mad at the idiot gun toters giving them a bad name instead of getting their panties in a bunch when we start mentioning tougher gun control laws.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

okcanuck wrote:I'm a man who wept when I saw the pictures of those beautiful children. If that makes me sound like an old woman so be it.

I wonder if even you would change your mind about assault rifles if the cops actually published the pictures with a before and after.
Suck it up buttercup.

I have lived in one the of most violent cities in the Americas, I've seen the wrong end of guns, I've seen someone walking down the sidewalk have their head blown off as I drove by, I've seen the bodies of kids younger than these lying in pools of blood because they got caught in a no mans land in a gang shootout. I have seen worse published in full colour on the front page of newspapers.

I do agree that the slaughter of these children is tragic. I lay most of the blame on the mother, but it is too late to blame. She's dead, the kids are dead, but the knee jerk anti gun, anti black gun reaction is completely useless. A 30 round clip, three x ten or six x five matters nothing. The time it takes to cycle a new clip is insignificant in these shootings.

It is a country that was founded by the overthrow of a tyrannical foreign power and the framers of their constitution insisted on making that ability to over throw an oppressive government a pillar of their constitution. It was the same foreign tyranny that ruled our forefathers, but they were too busy making Metis to notice.

It is not just a right to bear arms, but an institutionalized doubt in government control and a belief in the power to over throw that control. It may be a silly as believing in a 6,000 year old earth or a jolly fellow in a red suite, but it is what they have been lead to believe. While Canadians believe in calling the police and letting them do their work, since the late 1700's Americans have had the notion that they are to look after themselves first and call the authorities second.

The slaughter in CT has been the biggest boost to gun sales in years. Just as the anti gun lobby is rallying to bring in controls, the pro gun crowd is stocking up.

The people I know who own AR15's and have 10 to 30 round clips have them because they are fun to shoot and use them for putting holes in paper. They have other, more appropriate, guns for personal protection. That is why I equate them to motorcycles, hot rods or sports cars. They are big boy toys.

Most are now expecting a return of the Brady bill, clip size limits, an increased tax on ammo and possibly an registration on ammo purchases though realistically, that last one wouldn't pass.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Do you have young children Topper,and if you do I wonder if your attitude would change if God forbid you were one of the parents of these slaughtered children. I lost a son ,not in a shooting, but a car accident. Believe me man there is nothing worse than having to identify your own kids body.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

people seem to forget that when the framers of the US constitution enshrined the right to bear arms it was in conjunction with the right of the people to overthrow an unjust government... which basically was every government in existence in the world at the time... In 1776 there were no representative governments outside of britain and that government did not extend representation to their colonies...

times have changed and democracy exists in more places than just the US but its not everywhere and its not a done deal that it will last or stay... In the 1930s, while making the trains run on time, the Nazis also removed and outlawed privately held fire arms, its the first thing a totalitarian government should do according to the despot manual..

I'd say the right to own a fire arm is right up there with free speech, freedom of religion and freedom of thought...

im sorry for sandy hook, but we have no right to bear arms and we have gun control and it still happened here anyway...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

That's fine and dandy. Americans need to wake up. You cannot overthrow a tyrannical government with a semi-automatic AR-15. They have A-10 Warthogs and Humvees with MK 19's on them. It's ridiculous to think any civilian stands a chance against the US government. And anyone willing to risk their life, and their families lives, needs to realize the jig is up at this point... or be willing to let their families die in an airstrike.

The people you know might be law abiding gun owners. Most are. If they are rational people they will realize that they do not need 30-round magazines to put holes in paper. I have 10-round magazines (when I'm not at work). Four of them. I reload, and put more holes in paper. I've also completed government mandated firearms training, and applied for a firearms licence, had my references checked and understand how dangerous firearms are.

The right to own a firearm is a right that comes with a responsibility. Like driving a car, it needs to be legislated, and governed. I can't strap a rocket to a car, drive it fast as it can go, all the time, while drinking a bottle of Rye. That would endanger people around me. The same principles should apply to firearms.

Guns don't kill people, bullets do.

I carried a weapon, very similar to an M4 Carbine, throughout Afghanistan, and used it against humans. I needed 30 round magazines. They cause terrible damage (and death) to a human body. These are not weapons that belong in the hands of house-wives or those seeking personal defence. A shot gun will clear a hallway better than an assault weapon, and a 30 round magazine will put bullets into your neighbours house or a child's bedroom. There's no reason for either an assault weapon, or a 30 round magazine in a private residence.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

RoyalDude wrote:
okcanuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote: That reminds me, shouldn't this thread have been titled Booth Bags Baited Bear? :)
He's a Tea Party, Tea Bagger, what do you expect. :)
:|

So... Booth Tea-bags Baited Bear, then?
Now that would really take some guts.

:look:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

ukcanuck wrote:people seem to forget that when the framers of the US constitution enshrined the right to bear arms it was in conjunction with the right of the people to overthrow an unjust government... which basically was every government in existence in the world at the time... In 1776 there were no representative governments outside of britain and that government did not extend representation to their colonies...

times have changed and democracy exists in more places than just the US but its not everywhere and its not a done deal that it will last or stay... In the 1930s, while making the trains run on time, the Nazis also removed and outlawed privately held fire arms, its the first thing a totalitarian government should do according to the despot manual..

I'd say the right to own a fire arm is right up there with free speech, freedom of religion and freedom of thought...

im sorry for sandy hook, but we have no right to bear arms and we have gun control and it still happened here anyway...
The debate here isn't about the right to own a firearm, the debate is should there be stricter gun laws. I say yes because these automatic weapons are not needed to protect yourself.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

okcanuck wrote:The debate here isn't about the right to own a firearm, the debate is should there be stricter gun laws. I say yes because these automatic weapons are not needed to protect yourself.
Automatic weapons were not used at Sandy Hook.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

okcanuck wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:people seem to forget that when the framers of the US constitution enshrined the right to bear arms it was in conjunction with the right of the people to overthrow an unjust government... which basically was every government in existence in the world at the time... In 1776 there were no representative governments outside of britain and that government did not extend representation to their colonies...

The debate here isn't about the right to own a firearm, the debate is should there be stricter gun laws. I say yes because these automatic weapons are not needed to protect yourself.
If you want to make it impossible or at least difficult for Sandy Hook to happen again, you have to make it difficult or impossible for the kid to get his hands on these weapons... To do that you are going to have to make guns illegal to purchase so soccer moms can't go down to Target or Wally world to load up for their boys to go shooting squirrels... To do that you are going to have to restrict people's rights. and as much as you want to say its not a needed thing anymore and I agree that if it comes to the US army Vs the US people we are all fucked, but thats not the point...

As an American this is the point:

I am a free man, who are you to tell me what I can say or cannot say, who should be my God or should not be my God, or when I can or cannot protect myself or my family or my property...

If I don't have these rights we do not have a republic...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ukcanuck wrote:people seem to forget that when the framers of the US constitution enshrined the right to bear arms it was in conjunction with the right of the people to overthrow an unjust government...
The US Constitution was also written in the 18th century, when a gun was a single shot, loose powder, muzzle loaded long gun with a bayonet on the end. The bayonet was probably the most dangerous part.

Guns today barely resemble guns from the 18th century.

This notion that the population needs guns to overthrow a tyranical regime is a bit off base too. Didn't Egypt just overthrow their dictator with protests and rocks?