Connecticut massacre

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: Connecticut massacre

Post by dangler »

Even if the US brought in civilised gun-laws tomorrow with 90 out of 100 people owning guns at the moment i doubt that would change overnight. Theres such a glut of firepower out there now if someone wants to get a gun it wouldn't be difficult.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Semi-Auto rifles are not restricted in Canada. The "Assault Weapon"/Black Gun/AR-15 variety are. But you can get Rugers or semi-automatic AK's with a non-restricted permit. The Bushmaster .223 and the handguns this kid used are certainly restricted weapons in Canada.
Only with a 5 shot clip.

We don't know what weapons the shooter used. There is a graphic of a bushmaster and two 9mm, but there is a caveat with the graphic, that the weapons used has not been released.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Semi-Auto rifles are not restricted in Canada. The "Assault Weapon"/Black Gun/AR-15 variety are. But you can get Rugers or semi-automatic AK's with a non-restricted permit. The Bushmaster .223 and the handguns this kid used are certainly restricted weapons in Canada.
Only with a 5 shot clip.
Actually, no. Magazine legality depends on the weapon for which they were designed. So, my Benelli MR1 comes with a 5-round magazine, because that is the maximum allowed for a magazine designed for the weapon. However, there is nothing stopping me from buying a 10-round Magazine designed for an AR-platform pistol, and using that magazine in my MR1. The magazine is legal for the weapon it was designed for, therefore it is legal regardless of the weapon actually used in. Pretty strange. Anyways, I've picked up a few of these 10 rounders for my MR1.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/bull ... 72-eng.htm
The maximum permitted capacity of a magazine is determined by the kind of firearm it is designed or manufactured for use in and not the kind of firearm it might actually be used in. As a consequence, the maximum permitted capacity remains the same regardless of which firearm it might be used in.

Example:
The Marlin model 45 (Camp Carbine) rifle chambered for 45 Auto caliber uses magazines designed and manufactured for the Colt 1911 handgun, therefore the seven round and eight round capacities are permitted. A similar example is the 10 round capacity magazine for the Rock River Arms LAR-15 pistol, regardless of the kind of firearm it is actually used in.
We don't know what weapons the shooter used. There is a graphic of a bushmaster and two 9mm, but there is a caveat with the graphic, that the weapons used has not been released.
Pretty sure the cops and coroner released the details today. The primary weapon was the Bushmaster .223. He also used a Glock 10mm and a Sig Sauer 9mm. Apparently there was also a shot gun in his car.

The real scary thing is the 30 round magazines he was carrying for the Bushmaster. Nobody not in a war zone or on a police force needs that capability.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Not sure what is wrong with the Yanks.... :|

Mind you, this could be part of it though:

:?

Edit: What the .... ? Why don't the pics adjust to the width of the page?
How do I edit pics when you link them? Is there some other option than the normal img-code?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Topper wrote:
Only with a 5 shot clip.
Actually, no. Magazine legality depends on the weapon for which they were designed. So, my Benelli MR1 comes with a 5-round magazine, because that is the maximum allowed for a magazine designed for the weapon. However, there is nothing stopping me from buying a 10-round Magazine designed for an AR-platform pistol, and using that magazine in my MR1. The magazine is legal for the weapon it was designed for, therefore it is legal regardless of the weapon actually used in. Pretty strange. Anyways, I've picked up a few of these 10 rounders for my MR1.
Cool!

TBH, I was an expat when the registry came in and not being a resident anymore, I sold my Redhawk and gave away my rifles and have followed the regs little since. Niece now has a nice deer gun thanks to me.

So if 30 shot clips are bad, I take it three ten shot clips would be equally bad?

I agree that there is little practical use for these weapons with larger capacity clips, but like mistresses and horsepower, they can be a hell of a lot of fun.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

RoyalDude wrote:The two kids behind the Columbine murders were smart kids as well, without any known mental illnesses

This whole notion that it's strictly about mental illness is your typical stock answer by every fucking NRA Republican out there.
It's not so much about the mental illness, but about the drugs that are given out these days. A certain percentage of the population has always had mental health issues, access to guns hasn't really changed 'that' much - so why the recent rise in violent events?

More than coincidence: http://www.ssristories.com/index.php | http://www.thesaveproject.com/index.html
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:This whole notion that it's strictly about mental illness is your typical stock answer by every fucking NRA Republican out there.
Why is it either/or?

I have no idea whether this Lanza kid had any identifiable "mental health issue" but James Holmes for example sought psychological help on multiple occasions from staff at his school before he shot up that movie theatre, and being a graduate student is hardly proof that someone is of sound mind.. in fact graduate students suffer from anxiety, depression and even psychotic breaks at shockingly high rates.

It's clear that mental health does not even rate as a priority in the United States or in Canada for that matter; it's also evident that there is a correlation within the US between meaningful gun control and (relatively) low rates of gun deaths.

Both issues need to be addressed but I wouldn't hold my breath on either of them.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

There will always be heart disease, cancer, mental health problems. But the waters tend to get muddied because frankly he didn't own any guns, he didn't need to pass or get clearance. The guns were owned by his mother, perfectly legal. That's the bad part. You could ban ammunition sales, which would work it's way around those that hang their hat on the 2nd amendment, I suppose. But it's America's psyche that needs to be changed, why people, not content to own one gun but numerous including assault rifles is an American sickness. Their minds seem stuck in the trolley tracks. That's the mental problem that needs to be addressed

The day before the massacre, the Michigan house passed a bill permitting the carriage of guns in schools and day cares !!!
Tweet from Michael Moore (@MMFlint) a short while ago "Just 18 hrs ago, those Republicans in the Michigan House rammed thru a bill making it LEGAL to carry a gun into a school or day care center."
I don't know if any one watched the interview of the Cdn who's daughter was the substitute teacher. All the classrooms are apparently locked from the inside.... except hers, no one gave the sub a key. He couldn't get in the first classroom ..locked... the next one was the only room not locked and he massacred them. Such a small small action, no key .... so many killed
cheers
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Here's an article about a girl who has CIPA:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/h ... -1.1109057

Less than 100 people with CIPA worldwide! :shock:

Most don't survive past the age of 3...

Sounds like this girl is getting the kind of help she needs, kinda sounds like maybe Adam DIDN'T.

Allowing him to play shoot-em-up video games all day and then introduce him to real guns = NOT a good idea.

Lack of empathy goes hand-in-hand with CIPA (and Asberger's for that matter).

The parents were filthy rich (dad pulls in $1mil per year) so I don't get why this kid didn't receive more help.

Or maybe I should shuddup until all the facts are in....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I love the argument from the NRA, "if everyone like teachers, cashiers etc., were allowed to carry guns" Incidents like this wouldn'th happen." This is what I don't get. There are 90 guns per 100 people in the U.S.A. That includes old ladies in rest homes and infants. So pretty much, there is a gun and more for every capable mature adult walking the streets according to statiticians. The U.S. is flooded with guns. So when are going to start seeing good samaritans with loaded pistols start gunning down the Lanza's of the world? There are plenty of enough guns floating about out there.

I would love to find the stats on how many would be murderers have been killed by a gun from someone protecting themselves. I do know that on average, there are near 10,000 gun deaths every year in the states. A lovely stat, really. This is what I don't get, in 10 years in the war in the middle east, 6,500 American soldiers have died. That is 650 a year compared to 10,000 a year killed by guns on home soil in the United States. Who is the real enemy here?

Go GUNS Go!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:Here's an article about a girl who has CIPA:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/h ... -1.1109057

Less than 100 people with CIPA worldwide! :shock:

Most don't survive past the age of 3...

Sounds like this girl is getting the kind of help she needs, kinda sounds like maybe Adam DIDN'T.

Allowing him to play shoot-em-up video games all day and then introduce him to real guns = NOT a good idea.

Lack of empathy goes hand-in-hand with CIPA (and Asberger's for that matter).

The parents were filthy rich (dad pulls in $1mil per year) so I don't get why this kid didn't receive more help.

Or maybe I should shuddup until all the facts are in....
One story I read said mommy got the mentally handicapped Adam into shooting to teach him respect and responsibility.

No one has asked if mommy had the weapons locked up as she is required to. Obviously not safely locked away.

Walmart has stopped carrying bushmasters.

American friend of mine went to buy an AR15 yesterday and the one he wanted was sold out. Apparently there is rush on them now as many feel the Brady bill is coming back with more teeth.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Who is the real enemy here?
Those who use tragic events like Sandy Hook to come against the Right to Bear Arms. :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Who is the real enemy here?
Those who use tragic events like Sandy Hook to come against the Right to Bear Arms. :hmmm:
Is the great Strangelove really using the "stop politicizing this tragedy" trope? :eh: