Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by Fred »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Boy, if u guys thought booth, ballard and bieksa were bad, wait till u see Special Ed back here. :lol:

Strangelove wrote: The latest rumour is Lou for Bjugstad + Jovo.

I figure we'd break even brains-wise on that one. :look:
Ed was extremely prone to ... ?? ... stupidity yeah stupidity and now I'm thinking he ain't a big hitter now. That sort of evened things up a bit. I would guess that Jovo is part of a salary balance up ( $4.2 _)
cheers
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Yeah, I looked up McNally's stats and it is not very impressive for an offensive D-man, like 3 pts in 7 games.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=127803
Well seven games is definitely enough to start drawing conclusions.
We gotta remember that McNally was a 4th round draft pick, so his chances of making it were very low and next to none. I believe Gillis gave up all his top picks that year and McNally was his first player taken, so he pumped up McNally's tires a bit and exaggerated his abilites/potential. Gotta keep the gullible fans hopefully and make it look like everything's ok and he knows what he's doing. :P
Yeah it's a shame how Gillis fabricated the notion that McNally isn't a complete bust as part of a PR campaign to make himself look better, it's not like McNally was actually successful at the college level or in contention for any individual awards, among the top scorers at his position.. nothing like that. :look:
Last edited by dbr on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dbr wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
We gotta remember that McNally was a 4th round draft pick, so his chances of making it were very low and next to none. I believe Gillis gave up all his top picks that year and McNally was his first player taken, so he pumped up McNally's tires a bit and exaggerated his abilites/potential. Gotta keep the gullible fans hopefully and make it look like everything's ok and he knows what he's doing. :P
Yeah it's a shame how Gillis fabricated the notion that McNally isn't a complete bust as part of a PR campaign to make himself look better, it's not like McNally was actually successful at the college level or in contention for any individual awards, among the top scorers at his position.. nothing like that. :look:
Sigh......it's hard to soar like an eagle when you have a bunch of retarded penguins pulling on your wings.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I'm a peacock you gotta let me fly on this one!!!!

In other news
Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer

Harvard University confirms defenceman Patrick McNally, the #Canucks' 4th-round pick in 2010, is among 4 players who has left the team.
Here is a good article on where things stand with McNally

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/12/10/canuc ... ard-roster

I know none of this is Kassian related but it has been discussed in this thread.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Benjo wrote:I'm a peacock you gotta let me fly on this one!!!!
In other news
Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
Harvard University confirms defenceman Patrick McNally, the #Canucks' 4th-round pick in 2010, is among 4 players who has left the team.
Here is a good article on where things stand with McNally
http://canucksarmy.com/2012/12/10/canuc ... ard-roster
I know none of this is Kassian related but it has been discussed in this thread.
I have to say, while McNally is responsible for whatever he did, if it is true that the teacher of an intro level class had the students do a take-home in which they could use the internet as a source, then that teacher was asking for a boatload of trouble. I teach at a college in the Boston area (in fact, politics, but not Congress...booo-ring!), and in making assignments you have to frame things very precisely, and be clear as a bell about what is okay and what is not, because the internet is too damn tempting for students to cheat on assignments...again, if McNally cheated, it's on him to deal with the consequences (not that I really think it matters for his hockey career) but from what I can read about this take-home assignment for an Intro class, I don't know, from my experience, that's a problem waiting to happen.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

Why on earth would Harvard allow take home tests? I find that concept just weird.

I have two thoughts on him cheating. The first is that he saw it as easy credits and not much work would be involved. He could pad his GPA with only minimal effort, especially considering the alleged nature of the examination.

The other is, holy shit, you have to cheat on an intro level course…really…How the hell do you expect to complete a degree at an Ivy League school if you are overly challenged by a first year course?

It’s too bad, but I suppose it’s the nature of college sports.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I think take home tests are fairly common now. It's a cost saving to the uni. And the funny thing as pointed out a lot of students work with the group think concept and the uni knows that.

I'm wondering if his scholarship is a year by year deal. Yale introduced that many years ago and I believe a number of universities have followed along so it could be they just don't offer to renew his scholarship next year and that's up to the registrar rather than the coach. Puts him in limbo until next Fall, and that's difficult to deal with. He's 21 I believe so he doesn't have many options
cheers
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Fred wrote:I think take home tests are fairly common now. It's a cost saving to the uni. And the funny thing as pointed out a lot of students work with the group think concept and the uni knows that.

I'm wondering if his scholarship is a year by year deal. Yale introduced that many years ago and I believe a number of universities have followed along so it could be they just don't offer to renew his scholarship next year and that's up to the registrar rather than the coach. Puts him in limbo until next Fall, and that's difficult to deal with. He's 21 I believe so he doesn't have many options
Take homes don't provide any cost savings, but pedagogically if used properly they can be a good way to test the student's capacity to understand the course subject matter and synthesize in a way that goes beyond the slap dash, regurgitation that happens in many in-class finals (the dreaded blue books). I do in-class finals but give them the parameters of the questions in advance so that I can raise the bar, but I have colleagues who take homes. I do think it is more of a crapshoot with intro courses, especially if they are mass lecture courses. In those cases, it actually increases the workload of the teacher (or more likely grad assistants; faculty at Harvard would not grade a word produced in an Intro course), whereas you could do scantron for a final and be done grading in much shorter time period. If this Intro to Congress course was known as an easy course it would have had to be b/c the word is out that the expectations aren't that high - as content-wise there is no reason why it would be easier or more difficult than say a Presidency, or Courts class - with lax plagiarism controls. This time, someone caught on, or maybe a new instructor or a grad assistant was more on top of it than previous instructors.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

In my experience, take home exams usually have more difficult content than in class exams because the students have lots more time to complete them and almost unlimited resources to try to answer the questions.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Am I right that take home exams are generally multi answer questions that can be checked without a Prof/asst having to even look at the papers. Rather than exams that need to expand a point or give an explanation which needs reading ?. Maybe things have changed. I know my daughters take home exams were just a series of tick boxes on her laptop that the uni computer marked The prof only saw the results without ever going through the actual exams. A lot of these kids ( Athletes ) do their school work on the bus travelling back and forth to road games, it's hard not to joint debate. Some one has dropped them in it or so it seems to me. It's some thing like asking a ass of a referee if he's done his taxes for the year yet :lol:
cheers
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Fred wrote:Am I right that take home exams are generally multi answer questions that can be checked without a Prof/asst having to even look at the papers. Rather than exams that need to expand a point or give an explanation which needs reading ?. Maybe things have changed. I know my daughters take home exams were just a series of tick boxes on her laptop that the uni computer marked The prof only saw the results without ever going through the actual exams. A lot of these kids ( Athletes ) do their school work on the bus travelling back and forth to road games, it's hard not to joint debate. Some one has dropped them in it or so it seems to me. It's some thing like asking a ass of a referee if he's done his taxes for the year yet :lol:
No, not that I've heard at the college level. Take homes are usually essay format that involve some version of synthesizing the course materials to respond to questions. They are not the same as self-standing research or theory essays, but are more demanding, or should be than say a 2hr in class final. For a class on the Congress, there would like be a written component, maybe analyzing the movement of legislation through a particular committee, the role of special interests, or some such...a multiple choice exam you'd just do in class, and yes, easy to grade, and at Harvard, either way, none of those Profs are doing any of the grading, regardless of the assignment. they probably have poached some of the written work from the internet...happens all the freaking time.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, I'm surprised they have take home exams @ a Ivy League school like Harvard. I went to UBC and it was not very common. The closest was a distance ed course and I was given the choice to write the final or do a research essay; I chose the later. I also had profs who gave us like 7 essay topics and 3 would be on the final, but not an actual take home exam.

Brick Tamland wrote:Why on earth would Harvard allow take home tests? I find that concept just weird.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Yeah, I'm surprised they have take home exams @ a Ivy League school like Harvard. I went to UBC and it was not very common. The closest was a distance ed course and I was given the choice to write the final or do a research essay; I chose the later. I also had profs who gave us like 7 essay topics and 3 would be on the final, but not an actual take home exam.

Brick Tamland wrote:Why on earth would Harvard allow take home tests? I find that concept just weird.
Harvard doesn't give a shit about teaching, especially U-grad first years. Profs don't get tenure and promotion for teaching, but rather scholarship. It's likely that a poorly paid grad assistant is doing the real teaching there, and he/she is swamped trying to get their diss done...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: The latest rumour is Lou for Bjugstad + Jovo.
I'd be happy with a Bjugstad return for sure. Jovo is good insurance for Edler's UFA situation and back issues, but Bjugstad would definitely upgrade our prospect pool. In the future, we might not be able to beat the likes of the young Oilers with skill but if w are a monster team in size we could at least make it difficult for their small weasely skilled players.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, when the sedins retire and stuff, I wouldn't mind molding a team in the image of the Bruins, Ducks, Jersey and Kings. Rather than go for guys with a high skill set, just fill the roster with a bunch of big buys with average skills and skating ability. We may not score a lot of pretty goals nor carry anymore hart/art ross type players, but hopefully we can at least make the playoffs, be a team that is difficult to play against and beat the snot out of the opposition. :lol:

RoyalDude wrote:In the future, we might not be able to beat the likes of the young Oilers with skill but if w are a monster team in size we could at least make it difficult for their small weasely skilled players.