Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Postby Fred » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:01 pm

More bad news for the Dude

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/8 ... et-to-nhl/

Still no word why McNally has been taken off the Harvard roster

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice/2012-13/roster
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Yeah, I looked up McNally's stats and it is not very impressive for an offensive D-man, like 3 pts in 7 games.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=127803

We gotta remember that McNally was a 4th round draft pick, so his chances of making it were very low and next to none. I believe Gillis gave up all his top picks that year and McNally was his first player taken, so he pumped up McNally's tires a bit and exaggerated his abilites/potential. Gotta keep the gullible fans hopefully and make it look like everything's ok and he knows what he's doing. :P

Fred wrote:More bad news for the Dude

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/8 ... et-to-nhl/

Still no word why McNally has been taken off the Harvard roster

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice/2012-13/roster
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Fred » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Some thing going on in McNally-ville. He had good numbers as a freshman and got good ice time. For the NCAA that's uncommon except for the top end recruits. He's been sat this season and his name removed from the Crimson's roster. There's been according to S-C an academic scandal at Harvard which has included some athletes and you have to wonder if he's caught up in that controversy ?? his play has dropped off but then it would if he's been put on probation ???
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Cornuck » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Strangelove » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:My good buddy RD is obsessed enough with "prospect rankings" to fit right in at HF.

Who would want to fit in at HF boards?

Exactly! Image
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Fred » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 pm

Cornuck wrote:looks like he's in trouble
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com ... -to-report

Going to be a tough Xmas for this young man and his family sorting this out. If it's simply suspension until the end of this season he opt to stick it out. If it ife long maybe he's heading for Chicago ?
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Tciso wrote:Not sure I even agree with Ballard and Booth. Remember when Alberts came in with what, 20 games left in the season, and looked like a pylon. Give him a full training camp, and yes, he's still slow, but he's positionally competent as a #6/7 D-man. Ballard looks bad/stupid, as he is never allowed to play to his strengths (a coaching error, imo) and usually on his off-wing, and Booth has never been healthy as a Canuck, so always looked bad. BXA is the dumbest hockey IQ on the team right now, imo, and even then, it's only a shift here and there when he seems to forget how to play.

C'mon now Mr T when it comes to brains, Booth + Ballard make Bieksa look like Gretzky!

Now, Booth has a decent amount of God-given talent

... and Ballard has some Devil-given talent

.... but these two guys are as dumb as fishshit!

Tciso wrote:I think the Canucks are a pretty smart team. Nobody has the "Special" moniker :D :D

The latest rumour is Lou for Bjugstad + Jovo.

I figure we'd break even brains-wise on that one. :look:

Agree Canucks are a smart team, could use a smarter coach but hey, RD is doing enough bitching for all of us. :wink:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:13 am

Boy, if u guys thought booth, ballard and bieksa were bad, wait till u see Special Ed back here. :lol:

Strangelove wrote:The latest rumour is Lou for Bjugstad + Jovo.

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Fred » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:32 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Boy, if u guys thought booth, ballard and bieksa were bad, wait till u see Special Ed back here. :lol:

Strangelove wrote:The latest rumour is Lou for Bjugstad + Jovo.

Ed was extremely prone to ... ?? ... stupidity yeah stupidity and now I'm thinking he ain't a big hitter now. That sort of evened things up a bit. I would guess that Jovo is part of a salary balance up ( $4.2 _)
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby dbr » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:54 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Yeah, I looked up McNally's stats and it is not very impressive for an offensive D-man, like 3 pts in 7 games.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=127803

Well seven games is definitely enough to start drawing conclusions.

We gotta remember that McNally was a 4th round draft pick, so his chances of making it were very low and next to none. I believe Gillis gave up all his top picks that year and McNally was his first player taken, so he pumped up McNally's tires a bit and exaggerated his abilites/potential. Gotta keep the gullible fans hopefully and make it look like everything's ok and he knows what he's doing. :P

Yeah it's a shame how Gillis fabricated the notion that McNally isn't a complete bust as part of a PR campaign to make himself look better, it's not like McNally was actually successful at the college level or in contention for any individual awards, among the top scorers at his position.. nothing like that. :look:
Last edited by dbr on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:01 am

dbr wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:

Yeah it's a shame how Gillis fabricated the notion that McNally isn't a complete bust as part of a PR campaign to make himself look better, it's not like McNally was actually successful at the college level or in contention for any individual awards, among the top scorers at his position.. nothing like that. :look:

Sigh......it's hard to soar like an eagle when you have a bunch of retarded penguins pulling on your wings.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Benjo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm a peacock you gotta let me fly on this one!!!!

In other news
Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer

Harvard University confirms defenceman Patrick McNally, the #Canucks' 4th-round pick in 2010, is among 4 players who has left the team.

Here is a good article on where things stand with McNally

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/12/10/canucks-prospect-patrick-mcnally-removed-from-harvard-roster

I know none of this is Kassian related but it has been discussed in this thread.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Boston Canucker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:50 am

Benjo wrote:I'm a peacock you gotta let me fly on this one!!!!
In other news
Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
Harvard University confirms defenceman Patrick McNally, the #Canucks' 4th-round pick in 2010, is among 4 players who has left the team.

Here is a good article on where things stand with McNally
http://canucksarmy.com/2012/12/10/canucks-prospect-patrick-mcnally-removed-from-harvard-roster
I know none of this is Kassian related but it has been discussed in this thread.

I have to say, while McNally is responsible for whatever he did, if it is true that the teacher of an intro level class had the students do a take-home in which they could use the internet as a source, then that teacher was asking for a boatload of trouble. I teach at a college in the Boston area (in fact, politics, but not Congress...booo-ring!), and in making assignments you have to frame things very precisely, and be clear as a bell about what is okay and what is not, because the internet is too damn tempting for students to cheat on assignments...again, if McNally cheated, it's on him to deal with the consequences (not that I really think it matters for his hockey career) but from what I can read about this take-home assignment for an Intro class, I don't know, from my experience, that's a problem waiting to happen.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Brick Tamland » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:49 am

Why on earth would Harvard allow take home tests? I find that concept just weird.

I have two thoughts on him cheating. The first is that he saw it as easy credits and not much work would be involved. He could pad his GPA with only minimal effort, especially considering the alleged nature of the examination.

The other is, holy shit, you have to cheat on an intro level course…really…How the hell do you expect to complete a degree at an Ivy League school if you are overly challenged by a first year course?

It’s too bad, but I suppose it’s the nature of college sports.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Postby Fred » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:00 pm

I think take home tests are fairly common now. It's a cost saving to the uni. And the funny thing as pointed out a lot of students work with the group think concept and the uni knows that.

I'm wondering if his scholarship is a year by year deal. Yale introduced that many years ago and I believe a number of universities have followed along so it could be they just don't offer to renew his scholarship next year and that's up to the registrar rather than the coach. Puts him in limbo until next Fall, and that's difficult to deal with. He's 21 I believe so he doesn't have many options
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat