Prospects Thread 2012-13

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Prospects Thread 2012-13

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Friday Dec 7

AHL

Grand Rapids 3 Chicago 0
Climie 34 saves on 37 shots

Wow - Chicago only had 9 shots after two periods, and ended with 20 in total. Schroeder, Kassian, Sauve, and Connauton are back in the lineup - Haydar is not.

S_C
No comment
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Looks like a team that`s fighting the coach
cheers
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

While I like some of our prospects I was looking at Ottawa's and Minnesota's today and...wow, just wow. They will be very good in the next few years and I believe Minnie will be better than Edmonton's draft pick lottery fantasy team and will take the divisional throne from us.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:Looks like a team that`s fighting the coach

Um No...looks like a team that doesn't have very many good young players, but hey lets always blame the coach, never the management.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Benjo wrote:While I like some of our prospects I was looking at Ottawa's and Minnesota's today and...wow, just wow. They will be very good in the next few years and I believe Minnie will be better than Edmonton's draft pick lottery fantasy team and will take the divisional throne from us.
I guess the only hope for us getting good young players quickly to put us on pace with young the guns of the Oilers, Wilds and Avalanche in our division is if this core group starts showing cracks. I honestly could see Kesler getting moved for a good young player if this team starts to fade. Borrows and Bieksa could bring back good young players. I just don't see us ever trading the Sedins. I just don't see Luongo bringing back any special young talent, not with his age and contract and current level of play. Lets face it, there is nothing special in our system when it comes to prospects, the Corrado's and Jensen's may be good NHL'ers one day, but they won't be superstars. Gaunce may turn out to be a decent 3rd liner, the way Kassian is going he might be a Sandlak type, nothing great but a serviceable 3rd liner type, Schroeder just doesn't have that special talent to make up for his pint sized body.

I have no faith in Gillis to pull off a spectacular deal, he plays it too safe.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Saturday Dec 8

AHL

Chicago 2 Rockford 1
Climie 23 saves on 24 shots

Ebbett, (3) (Connauton, Haydar) (PP)
Haydar, (1) (Sweatt, Miskovic)

ECHL

Toledo 3 Kalamazoo 4
Anthony 1 goal (2nd), even
Mallet 0 points, even
Polasek 0 points, -1
Rai did not play
Schneider 0 points, -1

I noticed Prab Rai was put on 21 day IR back on Nov 26.

NCAA

Union 2 Yale 2 (OT)
Beattie did not play
GP 9 G 0 A 0 P 0

Maine 0 Boston University 1
Hutton 0 points, even
GP 15 G 2 A 4 P 6
Myron 0 points, even
GP 15 G 1 A 1 P 2

Michigan Tech 3 Wisconsin 3 (OT)
Labate 1 goal (1st), +1
GP 13 G 1 A 2 P 3

Colgate 5 Massachusetts 2
Price 1 assist, +2
GP 18 G 4 A 6 P 10

QMJHL

Cape Breton 0 Baie-Comeau 4
Honzik was the backup (Trudeau 38 saves on 42 shots)

OHL

Peterborough 5 Sudbury 4 (SO)
Corrado 1 goal (4th), -1 (scored on his shootout attempt)

Belleville 4 Owen Sound 2
Gaunce 0 points, -1

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:37 am, edited 9 times in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chicken Little wrote:

The sky is falling! The sky is falling !
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Something odd about the Harvard game against Merrimack the other day - Patrick McNally didn't play... that seems odd for a top 4 defenceman.

I tried to figure out what had happened (injury?), but there wasn't any news or press release that I could find - but it's weird that he is no longer on their roster:

Harvard Roster

Now I'm wondering if McNally is involved in the big cheating scandal from the spring Gov 1310 course at Harvard:

NY Times Article

excerpt:
"Harvard’s rules provide a range of potential punishments for cheating, the most severe being forced withdrawal for a year, but for varsity athletes, there is an added risk. An athlete has a maximum of four years of eligibility to play for the school, and one who took part in even a single game, and then was suspended for the year, would have used up one of those years. But withdrawing before playing could preserve that eligibility for a future year.

At least a few of the students under investigation have withdrawn, or plan to do so, according to a Harvard official and an athlete who has conferred with some of the departing students. The student said that some of those who are leaving are athletes.

Both people were granted anonymity to discuss a topic that the university considers confidential."

I don't know if McNally's absence the other night has anything to do with this cheating scandal - I guess we'll see.

Harvard's next game is on Monday night against Mass-Lowell.

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Benjo wrote:While I like some of our prospects I was looking at Ottawa's and Minnesota's today and...wow, just wow. They will be very good in the next few years and I believe Minnie will be better than Edmonton's draft pick lottery fantasy team and will take the divisional throne from us.
I'd throw the Islanders in there as well, Strome is having a monster year in the OHL and Nedereiter is looking great in the AHL. Then you have Griffin Reinhart.

I would say the top 5 in team rankings for prospects would go like this

1. Edmonton
2. Florida
3. Ottawa
4. Minnesota
5. New York Islanders
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This is the frustrating draft, there were some real good players who went right after Schroeder whom are much better prospects

22 - Schroeder
23 - Tim Erixon
24 - Marcus Johansson
26 - Kyle Palmieri
28 - Dylan Olsen
29 - Carter Ashton
30 - Simon Despres
33 - Ryan O'Reilly
35 - Kyle Clifford

Obviously, I would have loved O'Reilly but Johansson is the one that bums me out, he has put up very good numbers in his first and 2nd years with the Capitals. He would look great as our 3rd line Centre. Good size as well, not the shrimp that Schroeder is. Canucks always do good with the Swedes, drafting Johansson should have been a no-brainer. Despres is going to be a very good defenseman. Pittsburgh's prospect depth on defense is insane. Despres, Matta, Morrow, Pouliot, Doumulin, Harrington
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Dude, the game is played on NHL ice. I don't really care how good the future looks for the 5 worst teams in the league, I only care that we have a shot at winning the cup.
Like it or not, Gillis has had a team contending for 4 or 5 straight seasons now. 2 times best record, 1 trip to the finals that they were unlucky not to win, how ever many division titles, Art Ross and Selke winners...on and on.
They ARE a top team NOW and I will judge them on the ice. Yes of course I'd love to have 5 more blue chip prospects but I tell u what...if I had to choose between cheering for a contender or hoping my prospects all land jobs, I know what my choice is.
If you need air...call it in
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Wow S-C that looks ominous. Removed from the roster ...not a good sign IMO. If indeed that is what has happened I guess at 21 his only other move is to join the Wolves. Interesting to see if the local media pick up on that and ask MG for info.
cheers
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Meanwhile in Sweden, Jensen scores a beauty for his 13th of the season (although they include shootout winners in the individual player totals as well) - watch at 2:25 of the video:

AIK 1 Vaxjo 2

S_C
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I notice on the Canucks own messageboard they are all over the McNally being removed from the Harvard roster
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Dude, the game is played on NHL ice. I don't really care how good the future looks for the 5 worst teams in the league, I only care that we have a shot at winning the cup.
Like it or not, Gillis has had a team contending for 4 or 5 straight seasons now. 2 times best record, 1 trip to the finals that they were unlucky not to win, how ever many division titles, Art Ross and Selke winners...on and on.
They ARE a top team NOW and I will judge them on the ice. Yes of course I'd love to have 5 more blue chip prospects but I tell u what...if I had to choose between cheering for a contender or hoping my prospects all land jobs, I know what my choice is.
Well according to this post of yours UDL, it seems to me that you have been living under a rock the last little while and are a little out of touch with the Canucks current level of play and general overall, 'what have they done for us lately'. Here is where they left off. The got knocked out in the first round of the last Stanley Cup Playoffs. They had the worst PP in the league over the last 35 games of the season. They can't score goals. They have replaced Salo with the mysterious one year flash in the pan, currently battling a lifelong sports hernia Jason Garrison. Kassian is a big mystery, we have no 3rd line centre, Luongo is not that desirable in the open market, Schneider is a mystery as a no. 1 goalie. Kesler's disappointing season. Kesler is our only legitimate 2nd line player. Edler is battling a chronic back condition that may be terminal. The Sedins, if no season, will be 33 at the beginning of next season. Our defense is thin, our forward depth is real thin after the first line, we have no support scoring from the 3rd and 4th lines. We have no high end prospects ready to make the jump in the near future and far future. I got news for you my friend, we are not a contender anymore. We are on the downside and we got more elite competition now from up and coming teams.