There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: There will be a strike

Post by dbr »

One thing I don't get is the owners claim today that the players are moving the goalposts.. is it just me or is one of their three "must haves" (a 10 year CBA) completely new? They made a proposal earlier this fall for a six year deal..
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BurningBeard wrote:
Topper wrote:You can't blame GM's and owners for signing these deals. The structure was permitted under the old CBA and teams can not collude not to sign these deals.
Isn't the bigger issue with those deals insurance coverage? I think the insurance is becoming a major issue for some of these teams. If they're having to insure contracts at 5% of value and not past a certain amount of years, that is a huge expense and potential liability.
That may be the case, first I have heard of it. Those insurance premiums would be something some big market teams would be willing to cover while smaller market teams would be left out.

Under the previous CBA, many of the long term deals were not bad deals and Luongo's may very well have been the best of the bunch when you weigh in player's skill, age, term, real salary and cap hit.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:One thing I don't get is the owners claim today that the players are moving the goalposts.. is it just me or is one of their three "must haves" (a 10 year CBA) completely new? They made a proposal earlier this fall for a six year deal..
Owners said we'll throw in another $100mil in 'make whole' but we MUST HAVE these 3 things.

Package deal, take it or leave it, and Fehr says we'll take the extra $100mil, but screw the "must haves".

Bettman says "Well screw you Mr Fehr!"
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote:One thing I don't get is the owners claim today that the players are moving the goalposts.. is it just me or is one of their three "must haves" (a 10 year CBA) completely new? They made a proposal earlier this fall for a six year deal..
Owners said we'll throw in another $100mil in 'make whole' but we MUST HAVE these 3 things.

Package deal, take it or leave it, and Fehr says we'll take the extra $100mil, but screw the "must haves".

I tossed this one at Topper (nicely, I seen what happened in the bear baiting thread :eh: ) but I think I'm on his list...
Anyway Bettman mentioned that he had to sell the money for the make whole dealy as buying a couple of extra years of peace 8 vs 10 years...

In other words the money they save on salaries for those two years will pay for the make whole...

My question is: is that not exactly what the PA got upset about before, having to pay for their own losses on contracts already signed for??
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:

It wasn't an extra $100 million to "make whole", it was $50 million to make whole and $50 to pensions.

Gary took the "w" away last night. New motto is make hole. It's a ripper.

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Whenever they play hockey again, I'll be back, watching intensely, the addiction stays. But I can't stomach another article/report analyzing the lockout negotiations/status. I'm avoiding it all as best as possible until we get to the other side. I still stay with my original prediction, hockey by Jan 1, but who knows....until the puck drops.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

In other words the money they save on salaries for those two years will pay for the make whole...
Where are the savings you're talking about are the players not going to be paid !! , or, does not every player make his own salary decision, with the aide of a high price lawyer ? The players in the last 2 years of the CBA will receive a salary that they themselves have personally negotiated. This is not an hourly rate increase like a normal union bargaining !!

One question that never comes up is how come the agents are never accountable. The players always blaming the owners for signing dumb contracts, but the fact is agents are for ever playing one team off against another and asking for unreasonable contracts from all parties - teams Frankly the players just wash their hands of any responsibility. Who me ...naw .. i just let my agent take care of those details. Yeah Dick head he`s doing all your dirty work behind the scenes so you don`t need to accept any responsibility
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Fehr unites with the down trodden of the wrold and addresses the CAW

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lock ... w_council/

Workers of the world unite :scowl:

Listen carefully he tells the assembly how the players lost yep lost so much after the last CBA. How does he do it with a straight face
cheers
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Boston Canucker wrote:Whenever they play hockey again, I'll be back, watching intensely, the addiction stays. But I can't stomach another article/report analyzing the lockout negotiations/status. I'm avoiding it all as best as possible until we get to the other side. I still stay with my original prediction, hockey by Jan 1, but who knows....until the puck drops.
I'm the opposite. I don't know how much hockey I'll bother watching when they get back, but reading some of the news on the negotiations is entertaining. Favourites are Bob MacKenzie (TSN), Pierre LeBrun(TSN/ESPN), Scott Burnside (ESPN) and Katie Strang (ESPN).
@tsnscottcullen: Re: last RT, MLB salaries up 39% from '03 to '12 ($2.3M to $3.2M). NHL salaries up 32%, from $1.85M to $2.45M, including 24% rollback in '04
Average wages up 32% over ten years including a 24% roll back. Poor hard done by players.......

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Agree on the lockout commentators Topper, I also enjoy Friedman from CBC and of course Grapes talking about how great Kadri's hands are! :lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Gary took the "w" away last night. New motto is make hole. It's a ripper.
Like O... MG... DF already had at least one too many holes amirite? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I wonder if this could ever garner enough support to actually be a factor...
http://vimeo.com/55149830

Just Drop It!
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I care, do any of you care?

But alas it seems my income does not allow me to care too much.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/GhnvKzA-6WY

PS - how do you link a youtube video?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Scott Hartnell: No defending Roman Hamrlik

By QMI Agency
Share on facebookShare on stumbleuponShare on liveShare on farkMore Sharing Services

Flyers forward Scott Hartnell doesn't expect any of Roman Hamrlik's teammates to defend the Capitals defenceman should he get in trouble on the ice. (BRUCE BENNETT/Getty Images/AFP file photo)

Roman Hamrlik may have to fear for his safety.

Speaking on Team 1200 in Ottawa on Tuesday, Philadelphia Flyers forward Scott Hartnell said he doesn't expect any players on the Washington Capitals to run to their teammate's defence if he gets in trouble on the ice.

"I don't think anyone other than Roman Hamrlik in Washington -- a guy who has made $50-to-$60 million from the (NHL Players' Association) -- has turned on us. You're going to have guys like that," Hartnell told the radio station. "I can't wait to see what his teammates do when guys go after him. To sell the whole PA under the bus and to stick up for a guy like that is going to be tough."
What a complete ass Hartnell is can you imagine a player saying

(A) Hamrlik made $50-60 million from the PA !!, nothing to do with the fans or the owners then Scott, who pays the guy the PA or the Owner ? is this guy brain dead, sad to think he will even get a vote, wiith his IQ he's not in the position to make a judgement

(B) Suggesting that he may be physically abused because Hamrlik exercised his right to speak freely

A sad days for unions and democracy when players talk like this
cheers
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Fred wrote:
Scott Hartnell: No defending Roman Hamrlik

By QMI Agency
Share on facebookShare on stumbleuponShare on liveShare on farkMore Sharing Services

Flyers forward Scott Hartnell doesn't expect any of Roman Hamrlik's teammates to defend the Capitals defenceman should he get in trouble on the ice. (BRUCE BENNETT/Getty Images/AFP file photo)

Roman Hamrlik may have to fear for his safety.

Speaking on Team 1200 in Ottawa on Tuesday, Philadelphia Flyers forward Scott Hartnell said he doesn't expect any players on the Washington Capitals to run to their teammate's defence if he gets in trouble on the ice.

"I don't think anyone other than Roman Hamrlik in Washington -- a guy who has made $50-to-$60 million from the (NHL Players' Association) -- has turned on us. You're going to have guys like that," Hartnell told the radio station. "I can't wait to see what his teammates do when guys go after him. To sell the whole PA under the bus and to stick up for a guy like that is going to be tough."
What a complete ass Hartnell is can you imagine a player saying

(A) Hamrlik made $50-60 million from the PA !!, nothing to do with the fans or the owners then Scott, who pays the guy the PA or the Owner ? is this guy brain dead, sad to think he will even get a vote, wiith his IQ he's not in the position to make a judgement

(B) Suggesting that he may be physically abused because Hamrlik exercised his right to speak freely

A sad days for unions and democracy when players talk like this
What's the issue? Scottie's left-wing knee-jerk belief in unions and sticking it to the man, and covering his own ass obviously superceed Hamrlik's belief in having his own opinion, getting paid fairly and just playing the damned game, and not costing 1/3 of the players their only or last year in the league. :?

The sheep mentality of guys like Hartnell amazes me, but we see it in the holier than thou Left all the time.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!