There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: There will be a strike

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
BurningBeard wrote: I gotta wonder, no mater what ends up happening, if this whole disaster is the beginning of the end for Bettman. The rumors are he set expectations for a "home run" on the owners side, and I doubt that's going to happen. Regardless, don't you at some point need to replace your wartime general with a peacetime general?
Bettman has 4 or 5 more years on his contract at $8mil per, he'll be around for awhile. :drink:

Besides, peace is for sissies...
and Palestinian supporters apparently...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Once again I would point out that how much the players make is irrelevant to this discussion.

It's about owners trying to lower labour costs and employees trying to retain their pay....
Ummm.

The average "employee" in this case earns $2.4mil per year.

You bet your sweet BIPPY it's relevant to this discussion you twisted leftist fuck.

In fact said fact could not be more relevant to this particular discussion.

You'd see that if you weren't such a twisted leftist fuck.

I love ya UK, but you ARE a twisted leftist fuck.

Twisted leftist fucks anyways...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Bettman has 4 or 5 more years on his contract at $8mil per, he'll be around for awhile. :drink:

and Palestinian supporters apparently...
Nah, in that case it's the 'illusion of peace'...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lancer wrote: If the players get a better deal than what's on the table now, bully for them.
I believe the average NHLer's career is 4 years.

They have already burned one-eighth of all the money they will ever earn (y'might say).

They lose.

And if you think they've made things better for future players, think: NEXT LOCKOUT! :devil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Ummm.

The average "employee" in this case earns $2.4mil per year.

You bet your sweet BIPPY it's relevant to this discussion you twisted leftist fuck.

In fact said fact could not be more relevant to this particular discussion.

You'd see that if you weren't such a twisted leftist fuck.

I love ya UK, but you ARE a twisted leftist fuck.

Twisted leftist fucks anyways...
lol that sound you hear is this twisted fuck waiting for you to draw a map cause I seem to be a bit lost ... .How is is it relevant? I must have made a wrong left turn somewhere ? :look:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: lol that sound you hear is this twisted fuck waiting for you to draw a map cause I seem to be a bit lost ... .How is is it relevant? I must have made a wrong left turn somewhere ? :look:
This is a thread about the NHL lockout.

The NHL lockout is all about the question of how much money NHLers should make.

You're welcome. :D

You seem to have made a left-turn into the realm of class-struggles my friend.

Remember: NHLers are “One-percenters”!

I wouldn’t be surprised if Spidey has tried to “occupy” some of their mansions....
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: lol that sound you hear is this twisted fuck waiting for you to draw a map cause I seem to be a bit lost ... .How is is it relevant? I must have made a wrong left turn somewhere ? :look:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Spidey has tried to “occupy” some of their mansions....
I admit that I tend to see things in that light but its relative, if the players are one-percenters then what are the owners?
and before I get covered in communist paint again, I have full props for a guy who builds an empire through hard work and smart moves... I got friends who have invested their way to small fortunes ad believe it or not, I've been a small business owner myself but come on, some of these guys are beyond the pale... The question I have is how can anyone relate to this kind of wealth but figure a hockey player is a pig to be lucky enough to earn 2.5 million a year contract...

I mean I picture 2 and a half East Vancouver houses or one West Van home... but seriously??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ought.html
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Strangelove wrote:
BurningBeard wrote: I gotta wonder, no mater what ends up happening, if this whole disaster is the beginning of the end for Bettman. The rumors are he set expectations for a "home run" on the owners side, and I doubt that's going to happen. Regardless, don't you at some point need to replace your wartime general with a peacetime general?
Bettman has 4 or 5 more years on his contract at $8mil per, he'll be around for awhile. :drink:

I hear you, and I don't disagree, but if the move that solves the lockout is Bettman leaving the room, what does that really say about his ability to negotiate? And it was Bettman's idea! He just found a way to not do his job, and take all the credit for solving the lockout. Guy is an evil genius. There are probably a few union workers that should be taking notes. :lol:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:

:lol: you can't stereotype me as one of your old school 'commies' or 'greenie' so now i'm an occupier? old bean fart, you gotta stop the nightly red wine coma get a reality check, just as the InCredible Crosby and Mario the Magnificent are working on the inside to make a deal I too am on the inside, paying my taxes, work'n my ass off to prepare the world for change 8-)

You? You are just another mass debater :| looking to waste valuable life energy and detract from other more important issues...like my master plan to infiltrate your féminin :devil:
Last edited by Arachnid on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Bought me and my kid skates last weekend, local rink has parent/kid free skating twice a week.

Monday morning at age 2.5, was his first time on blades. Came home and played some street hockey.

He can't wait for Thursday afternoon.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I don't believe a deal will be done, still too many egos in the way.

The main reason I miss the NHL is having a beer with a buddy at the pub or seeing how my fantasy team is doing. I like the comments on today's 1040 with Shorthouse how every fan (if a contract is signed) will be marking their calendar for the date of the next strike.

How sad is that to know that majority of the fans already know there will be another strike in 5 - 8 years.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Lancer wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Imagine that you own a restaurant and your chefs and waitresses want over 50% of the revenue when they invest nothing but their "skills". Would you be okay with it?

If, in your example, you also controlled the chefs' and waitresses' ability to work elsewhere, when they can negotiate a new contract, fine them and suspend them through a kangaroo court system where you ultimately hold the veto on appeal, then maybe your example could approach the same validity.
The players could choose to play for another league, like KHL, just like chefs and waitresses could work for other restaurants.

I agreet that the NHL discipline is a joke. However, it is pretty much the same in every industry. An owner or a manager might tolerate a good chef making mistakes than a so-so chef or a good looking waitress than a not so good looking waitress.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Reefer2 wrote:I don't believe a deal will be done, still too many egos in the way.

The main reason I miss the NHL is having a beer with a buddy at the pub or seeing how my fantasy team is doing. I like the comments on today's 1040 with Shorthouse how every fan (if a contract is signed) will be marking their calendar for the date of the next strike.

How sad is that to know that majority of the fans already know there will be another strike in 5 - 8 years.
A couple of comments:

We are in a lockout, not a strike and there is a big difference. The owners had a plan to hammer the players financially and to achieve that they locked them out. The players did not strike.

I don't agree with Shorty on this one...who knows what will happen in 8 years? MLB has had peace for how many years now? Same could happen to hockey, especially with Buttman out of there soon.

Agree with the comment on beers and pools...two big side benefits of having games to watch.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lancer wrote:
If the players cave and give in to the owners demands, they'll have no one to blame but themselves and I can't have much sympathy. If they get a better deal than what's on the table now, bully for them. I'll likely still watch the games afterwards regardless of when and regardless of outcome, with the hope that one day the league will be run somewhat better than a dog circus.

BTW Blobby, if I'm licking athletic ass-crack you may want to wipe Jeremy Jacobs' jizz off your chin. :P
I have never said the players shouldn't try and get the best deal possible. I have never been a bag licker to the owners either, just a realist and although it will break some people's hearts they will win this dispute. The players will NOT get everything they want much to ukcanuck's dismay... and no they are not " the little guy " , the fan is the little guy. I have said in the past the owners need to make some concessions here and I am no fan of Bettman.

Something like: working towards 50 - 50 by year three at the latest and if the owners insist on getting it right away they can make whole( well partially whole anyways) on moneys lost during the league imposed lockout.

Owners can loosen their contract length demands to something like 7- 8 years instead of five years
Leave free agency age alone or tweak it slightly to 8 years if they must.
More revenue sharing from the rich to the poor, though i can see why the leaves may have a problem propping up five teams and shitting away half their profits. Lots of ways to skin the cat here but reading some of the posts in this thread make a guy want to puke.

I am probably going to stay out of this thread . I swear some people to seem to actually enjoy the labour dispute more than they like the sport .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: I don't believe a deal will be done, still too many egos in the way.
DA FOCK??

Habs schedule out already:

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

:wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.