Name your favourite unsung hero from the past

A forum for Canucks trivia, stats inquiries, this forum compliments our History Section database created by George Fawcett.

Moderator: Referees

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: Name your favourite unsung hero from the past

Post by LotusBlossom »

jchockey wrote:Artem Chubarov just popped into my head. He belongs here. And I agree Farhan, Josh Green too. It was no coincidence that our #1 PK was with him on the roster.
Not to mention Artem was starting to find a groove scoring as well with the Canucks.

parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

#27 - Haaaaaaaaaaaarold Snepsts.

What can I say ... a real gentleman as well.

Grizz
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

Grizzly wrote:#27 - Haaaaaaaaaaaarold Snepsts.

What can I say ... a real gentleman as well.

Grizz
May I contribute the notion that Harold Snepsts, bless his undertalented but oversized heart, was the most OVERSUNG hero the Canucks ever rostered!

HAAAARR-OOOOOLLLLD....HAAAARR-OOOOOOOLLLLLD.

Anyone that has the whole arena singing his name is NOT un"sung".

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Another unsung hero was Gerald Diduck.

Although he was hardly on the score sheet, and he wasn't the quickest guy on the ice, Diduck did his job. He was that stay at home defenceman that didn't take any glory but just worked hard each and every night and did what he was paid to do. Hit hard, played the man and make sure no one got a clear shot on net.

Hard to fault a guy that was a plus 32 in the 1992-1993 season. I know he had a couple of bad +/- years but Diduck was more so solid than not.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Cannie wrote:I have many favourites, from 1975 to present, but I'd like to throw out the name of a Canuck that didn't get nearly enough recognition at the time, or in retrospect.

Jyrki Lumme.

The goofy looking guy with the goofy name was a huge reason the Canucks enjoyed success in the early nineties. I think we realize now how important agile and positionally sound defensemen are in the success of a team (as I sit here and admire Nik Lidstrom spin his magic), and Jyrki was our maestro, making that crisp pass out of the zone, or angling off an opposing player. I loved his wide stance skating style, rushing the puck up ice, and he had a knack of scoring a key goal or two in his time (on the road vs. Detroit might be my favourite).

He was a great complement to the Dirk, Murzyn, Diduck, Babych bruisers in 94.

Raise a glass to #24.

Cannie
Or #21. 8-)
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

Sid Dithers wrote:
Cannie wrote:I have many favourites, from 1975 to present, but I'd like to throw out the name of a Canuck that didn't get nearly enough recognition at the time, or in retrospect.

Jyrki Lumme.

The goofy looking guy with the goofy name was a huge reason the Canucks enjoyed success in the early nineties. I think we realize now how important agile and positionally sound defensemen are in the success of a team (as I sit here and admire Nik Lidstrom spin his magic), and Jyrki was our maestro, making that crisp pass out of the zone, or angling off an opposing player. I loved his wide stance skating style, rushing the puck up ice, and he had a knack of scoring a key goal or two in his time (on the road vs. Detroit might be my favourite).

He was a great complement to the Dirk, Murzyn, Diduck, Babych bruisers in 94.

Raise a glass to #24.

Cannie
Or #21. 8-)
LOL fixed it! Nice catch.
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

For me, it has to be Martin Gelinas. If only his spirit could me moved into a guy like Bernier.

Runner-ups are Garth Snow (always loved how he hacked Perry Solkowski's legs in the hallways as they walked from the dressing room to the ice), and Alexander Mogilny. Mogilny, more for his interviews and deadpan answers to stupid questions than his non-contract years.

<reporter> Alex, the canucks gointo the 3rd period tied. What do you have to do to win this one?
<Mogilny> Well, if we score more goals than they do, I think we have a pretty good chance.

Priceless.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Bobby Shmautz could do it all and boy could he fight. He scored and took care of the whole 200 feet. Also Rosie Paiment who did everything well. Dennis Kearns, Chris Oddliefson, Lumme, Gary Smith, Momesso...so many.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re:

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The_Pauser wrote:What about Adrian Plavsic and Vadim Sharifjanov? Those 2 had decent spirts on the team but kinda disappeared after a while. Too bad.
These guys were both garbage.........

unsung hero would be R Delorme who would fight anyone.

Bryan Glynn stepping in for the pylon D Murzyn.

Jack Mcilhargey who although was traded for a far better player.......instantly gave the Canucks respect in the mid- late 70's. I have had a few beers with Harold Snepsts and he told me that he couldn't believe how comfortable the team played with Big Mac in the lineup. he said Mac cut his own personal fighting in half.

Marty Gelinas ....what can you say... grit, heart and a great little player. Great pickup by Quinn .

Nathan Lafayette..... fuck I loved that team .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
paddy
CC Veteran

Re: Re:

Post by paddy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:What about Adrian Plavsic and Vadim Sharifjanov? Those 2 had decent spirts on the team but kinda disappeared after a while. Too bad.
These guys were both garbage.........

unsung hero would be R Delorme who would fight anyone.

Bryan Glynn stepping in for the pylon D Murzyn.

Jack Mcilhargey who although was traded for a far better player.......instantly gave the Canucks respect in the mid- late 70's. I have had a few beers with Harold Snepsts and he told me that he couldn't believe how comfortable the team played with Big Mac in the lineup. he said Mac cut his own personal fighting in half.

Marty Gelinas ....what can you say... grit, heart and a great little player. Great pickup by Quinn .

Nathan Lafayette..... fuck I loved that team .
Curt Fraser another guy traded for a better player to me was a guy not to be messed with... Jim Nill was also in that category... Agree about Marty Gelinas perfect fit
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

padraig, I LOVED Curt Fraser.....wanted to be him playing atom and peewee hockey, balled like a baby when they traded him away for Tony Tanti.

I still remember when he dropped Plett like a sack of shit.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=curt% ... s%20willi%
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Curt was my favourite player on that team, but always fantastic October through Xmas, then he'd fade. We all thought it was the annual Ice Capades road trip. Diddn't the 'Hawks figure out he was diabetic when they did their medical?

That Plett fight defined the playoff run. Well that and the Miracle on Manchester.

Another from back then that was high on my list was Darcy Rota and his eyes.

I hated Tanti nearly as much as I hated Lupul.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

For the record Top I LOVED TANTI but when that trade went down that was the first time as a kid I really felt it... I've said it before I'll say it again Tiger really DINED out on his rep here, Smyl had his moments but IMO gets his ass kissed cause he started and finished here... Delorme would go anybody but, Fraser was that guy who SCARED PEOPLE...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdmW4zaC-ew
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

Harold was also Legit, the Cirque du Soleil aka the current version of the Canucks could use a Harold as well... Harold was also a guy who could take the temperature of the room and chill it out...
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hai guyz
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society