Prospects Thread 2012-13

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: Prospects Thread 2012-13

Post by Fred »

You have to think Beach will play and be a good fit in Chicago :lol: He's taken a long time to come around but I understand playing OK right now. I like the 1-2 punch Archibald/Kassian. Like Beach it looks like Archibald has got it together this season in Kalamazoo and we have to see if he can continue with the Wolves. The opportunity is staring him in the face. The question I keep asking myself is where is Sauve when the shenanigans start up. If he's to make it to the NHL he has to show a physical presence, he doesn't have a lot more to offer
cheers
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: You can see that Mallet will be and NHL'er one day, just that combination of toughness, grit and smarts, sort of like Burrows, not as quite as skilled but a lot tougher.
I have to agree with you on this kid. He isn't exactly lighting it up by any means but there's something about his game that makes you notice him. I think it's his hockey sense and timing. Wonder what his ceiling will end up being?
If you need air...call it in
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:You have to think Beach will play and be a good fit in Chicago :lol: He's taken a long time to come around but I understand playing OK right now.
Beach is a year older then Kassian and seems further back in his development.

At this point his NHL future seems very up in the air and he seems to be a long shot to be anything more then a bottom 6 forward.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Thursday Nov 29

OHL

Belleville 3 Peterborough 4 (SO)
Gaunce 1 assist, +1

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Fred wrote:You have to think Beach will play and be a good fit in Chicago :lol: He's taken a long time to come around but I understand playing OK right now.
Beach is a year older then Kassian and seems further back in his development.

At this point his NHL future seems very up in the air and he seems to be a long shot to be anything more then a bottom 6 forward.
Hard to say at this point right now isn't it ? I get where you're coming from but I for one would welcome a prospect like Beach on the Wolves. He scored 54 goals in his last year of junior while spending a considerable amount of time in the penalty box. He still could be a 20- 25 goal guy on a line with Toews or Sharp who plays like a prick and agitates the opposition. I personally am not a fan of this player or his antics but as i say when your home team's prospect pool is only a couple feet deep you wouldn't mind a guy like Beach. He would be the fourth best forward prospect minimum on the Canucks.

He is 22 and while I would much rather have both Kassian and Jensen , it would be nice to have a 22 year old hard nosed forward in the AHL who is on pace for 20 - 25 goals .

One thing i will say is this players stock sure has taken a nosedive since he was drafted, though having shoulder surgery twice can do that to a kid.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I believe Beach was out with a significant injury for quite a while. He can be a nasty piece of work, fits the Blackhawks model perfectly
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Hard to say at this point right now isn't it ? I get where you're coming from but I for one would welcome a prospect like Beach on the Wolves. He scored 54 goals in his last year of junior while spending a considerable amount of time in the penalty box. He still could be a 20- 25 goal guy on a line with Toews or Sharp who plays like a prick and agitates the opposition. I personally am not a fan of this player or his antics but as i say when your home team's prospect pool is only a couple feet deep you wouldn't mind a guy like Beach. He would be the fourth best forward prospect minimum on the Canucks.
There is a big difference between an asshole and an idiot. Beach is pure idiot and even at this young age has a good half dozen less then flattering on / off ice incidents. It is very rare for a prospect to have so much bad press this early.

Further to that his AHL numbers are quite disappointing. 54 points in 103 games with no real upward trend does not scream future top 6.

Of course he could get his shit together and right the ship, but at this point it's probably more likely that he doesn't.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Beach is many of the things you say he is/was. But he's 22 and last season was his first full season in the AHL

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ncode=TRUE

I have no idea about you potatoe but personally the ability to walk on water came later in my life, sure he's been a bit of an ass but that's the hallmark of youth. He's 6'3"/210 and always had good PIM's as well as shown some skill. Pretty much the same as we're expecting from Kassian and has scored the same number of goals as Kassian this season. Beaches last season in the Dub he scored 52 goals in 68 games...not bad. The bad boy image is the trade mark of Chicago
cheers
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Minor point Fred but last year was his second full AHL season.. or it would have been if he hadn't been tuned up so bad in a fight that he missed most of it.

To be honest I'm not sure which factor is more likely to limit Beach's NHL potential.. his awful decision making or his tendency to get badly injured in fights (I believe he suffered multiple concussions in junior).
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

dbr wrote:Minor point Fred but last year was his second full AHL season.. or it would have been if he hadn't been tuned up so bad in a fight that he missed most of it.

To be honest I'm not sure which factor is more likely to limit Beach's NHL potential.. his awful decision making or his tendency to get badly injured in fights (I believe he suffered multiple concussions in junior).

Hey even Probert lost the odd one. The Canucks keep talking potential when referring to Kassian I suspect it might be a good word for Beach. He's got likey just as good a chnace as any other "prospect" IMO He certainly has kahoolies and the same number of goals at this point as Kassian

Remember this talking about idiots :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAcGSbrEi-c
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:
dbr wrote:Minor point Fred but last year was his second full AHL season.. or it would have been if he hadn't been tuned up so bad in a fight that he missed most of it.

Hey even Probert lost the odd one. The Canucks keep talking potential when referring to Kassian I suspect it might be a good word for Beach. He's got likey just as good a chnace as any other "prospect" IMO He certainly has kahoolies and the same number of goals at this point as Kassian

Remember this talking about idiots :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAcGSbrEi-c

Kassian is bigger, tougher, younger, and better then beach.

Not only would Zack kick Beaches ass easily, but just compare their AHL stats.

Kassian - 47gp - 21g - 38p
Beach - 103gp - 27g - 54p

If you think Beach is a good prospect you must think Kassian is the second coming of Cam Nealy.

At this point they aren't even close.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I'd rather have Kassian to, but I'm not willing at this time to write the guy off just becasue he's not a Canuck player. He's had a rough go over the last couple of years with injuries and I'm sure the Hawks ain't willing to write him off yet either.
cheers
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Pretty good game on right now vs the admirals if anyone wants the link...
1-1 tie at the 12 minute mark of the 2nd. It's another penalty train unfortunately for the wolves...4 straight against and counting.
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Who makes the lineup for the Wolves ? Does Arniel have autonomy....is it the Wolves management telling him who to play ? Does Gillis have input ? Just curious why Mallet and Friesen seem to be splitting playing time and getting 6 or 7 minutes a game when in reality they should both be playing 4 out of every five if anyone gives a fuck about their development. But hey I guess it's all good for Haydar, Ebbett, Gordon and the other old scrubs that play down there suck up 20 minutes a night, and dress for 90% of the games.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Friday Nov 30

AHL

Chicago 2 Milwaukee 3
Climie 30 saves on 33 shots

Sweatt, (4) (Schroeder, Rodin)
Archibald, (1) (Connauton, Rodin) (PP)

Kassian has looked a bit off in this game - the good: he continues to be around the puck and stand in front of the net - the bad: he made a poor pass decision on a developing 2-on-1, and had the puck taken easily from him on the boards in his own zone just before the end of the 2nd.
Different story for Kassian in the 3rd - he makes a great pass from the side of the net that Ebbett can't put in, and then is set up alone in front but hits the post.

As for the Wolves, they blew the game in the final few minutes with some really lazy looking plays. Wow.

ECHL

Kalamazoo 2 Toledo 3 (OT)
Anthony 2 assists, +1
Polasek 0 points, -1
Rai did not play
Schneider 1 assist, even

NCAA

St. Lawrence 4 Colgate 2
Price 1 assist, +1

Boston College 2 Boston University 4
Myron 0 points, even

Wisconsin 1 Denver 1 (OT)
Labate 1 assist, +1

Vermont 2 Maine 1
Hutton 0 points, -1

QMJHL

Rimouski 5 Cape Breton 1
Honzik not dressed (Bureau 22 saves on 27 shots)

OHL

Windsor 2 Kitchener 3 (SO)
McEneny 1 goal (3rd), +1

Owen Sound 6 Sudbury 4
Corrado 0 points, -3

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
It's a great day for hockey!