Franchise Values

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Franchise Values

Post by donlever »

leaves crack the billion dollar mark...according to Forbes.

Nucks in top ten at 342 mill.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/
DeLevering since 1999.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Franchise Values

Post by rats19 »

wowzers...coinola ...what would happen if they ever build a long lasting contender/ 2bill

nice to see ya donald
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

How is St. Louis worth less than Phoenix I wonder?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So it's the Original 6 - and then us in #7. Not bad I guess.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote:So it's the Original 6 - and then us in #7. Not bad I guess.
That's where consecutive Presidents' trophies will get you! 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

And 400 consecutive sellouts.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

ukcanuck wrote:How is St. Louis worth less than Phoenix I wonder?
I find this odd as well, I would think they would be doing better?

How does Edmonton have such a high debt rate when they have an old arena?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: How is St. Louis worth less than Phoenix I wonder?
I find this odd as well, I would think they would be doing better?

How does Edmonton have such a high debt rate when they have an old arena?
A coupla Blues fans at another site explained it thusly:
burf wrote: With regards to St. Louis, one of their big problems is they don't control a number of the revenue streams associated with their hockey operations/the arena. Notably, the city takes all parking revenue, and the concession rights were sold a few years back by their previous owner to make a quick buck, and those are two of the biggest revenue streams available to a gate-driven league like the NHL.

They also don't own their arena (and have a bad arena deal), and they have to pay a weird (and huge) luxury tax to the city that no other pro sports team has to pay.

Basically, St. Louis would probably be a decent market right now if not for previous management and the city itself screwing them over. Their on-ice struggles haven't helped, but I'm pretty sure at this point there isn't too much that can be done to help St. Louis. Even a new CBA wouldn't fix their problems, since their problems are entirely structural, rather than related to player costs.
BDEuph wrote: BINGO!!!

Bill "Wal Mart" Laurie and Dave Checketts royally hosed the team in their own unique way (Laurie sold off the players and Checketts sold off the lucrative food consessions revenue streams) and yes, the Arena lease stinks with no parking revenue and being straddled with having to fund the newly renovated Opera House attached to the rear of the arena, and having to fund the AHL affiliate as well. The ticket revenue is minimal because of our insanely low ticket prices. Yet, with the less than stellar on-ice performance from 2005-2012 (2 playoff appearances) we still back the joint with 19150 nearly every night. Now that we have local ownership, this will be much better soon, even still I'd be on board with a 10-15% raise in ticket prices (I pay 2250 for a full season in the lower bowl, corner, blues shoot twice). The ownership need to generate more streams of revenue to acquire a ringer FA forward or D-man to put us over the top.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I have to say it's a nice building though, better than Rogers Arena IMO. The concourse is spacious you don't have to fight your way through and the food/beverages have better variety. They seem to be well connected with the local community, if they're not doing well financially you can see they're really trying hard. Maybe a chnage in area code might shake the city council up.

I must say I get a charge out of Forbes predictions. A Franchise is worth squat until some one actually is willing to pay out those sums, speculation is pointless
cheers
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Thanks Dr. Strange.

Interesting - so can I assume this bad deal has some affect on the whole profit the league makes? What I mean is that some teams like the Canucks or Orca Bay or waht ever they call themselves owns everything and they make all the profits. In St Lou they sold this off so it should affect their bottom line.