Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby dbr » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:18 am

RoyalDude wrote:Trust me danbobrob. Ain't no draft picks by Gillis and his band of merry men, post 1st round that will ever be as good as Krecji, Bergeron, Marchand and Lucic. Gillis blows monkey balls when it comes to drafting and developing.

I don't trust you to do anything except make yourself look like a complete moron, day in day out, on these boards. Which is weird because every hundred posts or so you come out with something totally reasonable.

Rodin??? Are you fucking kidding me.

Jesus Christ man. Can you read? As I've repeatedly said Rodin is just about the only player selected by Gillis that comes even close to being comparable to those Bruins you mentioned in the here and now.

So am I kidding you about Rodin? No. But the point is that he's the only one we can really start to write off, the (few) kids drafted in 2010 and the selections from 2011 and 2012 will take at least a few years before we start to see whether they earn a shot in the league within about the same timeframe as guys like Krejci and Marchand.

Right now you're just peering into your crystal ball and predicting doom and gloom for these players, because you can't fucking help yourself from taking a decent point (Gillis' drafting doesn't appear to be exceptional and may not even be decent) and going way overboard with it.

Maybe Gillis might have bagged a decent prospect had he not wasted the 2nd and 3rd round picks on Bernier and the 1st round pick on Ballard.

Yeah well, as I pointed out Gillis has given himself an uphill battle trying to build the Canucks system through the draft - trading a 1st, a 2nd, multiple 3rds and 4ths will do that. Basically he's given himself four drafts in five years.

Can you imagine if we had both Brayden McNabb (Buffalo selected him with our 3rd pick Gillis gave them for Bernier) and Quinton Howden in our system? (Florida selected Howden with our 1st pick). Both McNabb and Howden are very good prospects. That being said, Gillis probably would have selected some goofball if he had the pick.

Well I can't say the Bernier and Ballard trades were successful but frankly given the position the Canucks were in at the time I am glad we had a GM who was looking to add depth to the NHL roster rather than the AHL one or looking to earn the praise of HockeysFuture and message board clowns who can't stop slobbering over the Edmonton Oilers.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Reefer2 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:55 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:How the hell does a man acquire a tase for scotch Pacific Blue ?

Good conversation? Not sure if that applies to the interweb, but it's clear we need hockey back, if only to have something to talk about (both in real life and with you creatures). :twisted:

As an asside I need to dump the beer and get back on the vodka/fruity smoothie type drinks. I went from 225 down to 200 back up to 210. My weight is up and down like a whores pants.

Sucking back some Yukon Gold at the moment. Not too shabby, but I prefer the Crown. Vodka might save your weight but it's still meant for whores who want to drop their pants.

I disagree, I have been buying some good whiskey/scotch and voodka and even put out $100 on some really fine tequila.

Regardless of who is picked I don't think AV is a coach who gives young players a real chance.
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Brick Tamland » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Regardless of who is picked I don't think AV is a coach who gives young players a real chance.

Totally agree. Rookies under him get very few chances to play through their mistakes. How many times have we seen guys stapled to the bench for periods at a time?

It seems to me he would much rather insert a 3rd or 4th line journeyman who is about as vanilla as they get, but not very mistake prone, over the risk/reward rookie. Same goes for the D. So really, who’s to say any of those draft picks we missed out on would even be playing under AV. Mind you it would be nice to have a couple of those picks back.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Postby Topper » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:06 pm

Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Hansen, Bieksa, Raymond and Schneider have all done well developing with AV. The playing field with AV is the same for all young players, work hard, learn the defensive game. learn from your mistakes and ice time will be earned.

Nothing wrong with that unless you believe rookies should be handed coddled offensive minutes and 2nd unit pp duty. (Pump and dump.)
Last edited by Topper on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:03 pm

^^^^ i LIKE it!!

Henceforth Cody Hodgson shall be known as "Pump & Dump"....
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Topper wrote:Nothing wrong with that unless you believe rookies should be handed coddled offensive minutes and 2nd unit pp duty. (Pump and dump.)

My god how true!
So will that be the career year for him? It is a definite possibility. If Kassian can grow into his body over the next couple of years we may have a reverse stojanov with a DQ swirl
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Aaronp18 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:51 pm

Brick Tamland wrote:

Totally agree. Rookies under him get very few chances to play through their mistakes. How many times have we seen guys stapled to the bench for periods at a time?

So to indicate proof of your (and others) theory there must be a long list of young players that couldn't make it a a regular on the Canucks due to lack of icetime but then moved on to other teams and excelled!

Oh and PumpAndDump doesn't count.

:D
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm not sure how much pumping and dumping the dextral Cody is doing with a broken right hand.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Brick Tamland » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Yup, there's no denying that there hasn't been a lot to work with (rookies that is) in his tenure here. IMO he just doens't seem very rookie friendly.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Postby Island Nucklehead » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:55 pm

Brick Tamland wrote:Yup, there's no denying that there hasn't been a lot to work with (rookies that is) in his tenure here. IMO he just doens't seem very rookie friendly.

Well it's a veteran team with high expectations for execution. We're not the Oilers, where they are allowed to learn the NHL game by making mistakes. This team expects to win every night, and therefore cannot afford "rookie mistakes". So from that standpoint the team itself is very hard for rookies to play a lot. I don't think it's AV, it's the level of play expected by all management/coaches/players.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:08 pm

Strangelove wrote:^^^^ i LIKE it!!

Henceforth Cody Hodgson shall be known as "Pump & Dump"....

...but dumped a the wrong time. Should've waited til the off-season and dumped him in a package deal along with Luongo.

Right now Kassian is a mystery, could turn out to be a Stojanov, or a Dustin Penner. Or somewhere in between. I'm thinking Jim Sandlak.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby SKYO » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:11 am

Rookies can't compete for a job until they are grown, that's the logic of the RedWings, however they have had numerous Stanley Cups from the old school to the new NHL, meanwhile the Canuck "veterans" have nothing. (Absolutely none of them have a single cup!!)
Don't see how this AV master of a coach can say, we are only a vet team, whose sole purpose is winning a cup, even when we got knocked out early last season and none of the main players has won a cup ever.

Meanwhile, if we lose this entire season thanks to buttkiss Bettman whose about to fired, we will lose Edler, Raymond, Higgins, Manny, Lappy, Ebbett, Volp, Alberts due to UFA.
With one more year of the Sedins after that, and who knows if they will re-sign, I think they will, but still this upcoming season could be a big bang season to win it all.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Meds » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:40 am

SKYO wrote:Rookies can't compete for a job until they are grown, that's the logic of the RedWings, however they have had numerous Stanley Cups from the old school to the new NHL, meanwhile the Canuck "veterans" have nothing. (Absolutely none of them have a single cup!!)
Don't see how this AV master of a coach can say, we are only a vet team, whose sole purpose is winning a cup, even when we got knocked out early last season and none of the main players has won a cup ever.

Meanwhile, if we lose this entire season thanks to buttkiss Bettman whose about to fired, we will lose Edler, Raymond, Higgins, Manny, Lappy, Ebbett, Volp, Alberts due to UFA.
With one more year of the Sedins after that, and who knows if they will re-sign, I think they will, but still this upcoming season could be a big bang season to win it all.

If the season is lost and those contracts expire, then I'm fairly certain you will see Edler and Lapierre re-signed to new deals. Raymond will get another contract as this one was inked in the hopes he would earn it with a return to his 2 seasons ago form.

Ebbet, Alberts, and Volpatti will be re-signed to either exactly what they are making right now, or let go.....and not really much of a loss as they are hardly trade bait.

Malhotra will likely be allowed to walk or he will be retained at half his current salary. If he goes he will likely sign somewhere else for the same as what the Canucks will offer him. His injury has likely put his career into a premature decline.

Higgins is the only question mark. The lockout will mean that all journeyman players, with expiring contracts, have lost some bargaining power as they are going to be asking for new contracts based on performances that are over a year old and none of them have even had the chance to show that they can repeat said performances. I expect to see a number of one year deals being signed before the 2013 season commences should this season be entirely lost. UFA players like Higgins will likely be shopping for new teams if they ask for the moon coming off of a lost season.

If there is no season then the Canucks window of opportunity with this roster is all but closed.

I also don't like the look of a potential return on Luongo if he doesn't get moved for a shortened season this year.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Meds » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:48 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:Yup, there's no denying that there hasn't been a lot to work with (rookies that is) in his tenure here. IMO he just doens't seem very rookie friendly.

Well it's a veteran team with high expectations for execution. We're not the Oilers, where they are allowed to learn the NHL game by making mistakes. This team expects to win every night, and therefore cannot afford "rookie mistakes". So from that standpoint the team itself is very hard for rookies to play a lot. I don't think it's AV, it's the level of play expected by all management/coaches/players.

And yet they made plenty of rookie mistakes last year, amd then proceeded to pile them high in the opening round against LA.

I think it is AV, but I don't think it's necessarily a rookie thing for him. It's just his penchant for playing favorites. Think about it, last year Edler couldn't find his own ass with both hands and a mirror during the last couple weeks of the season. Come puck drop of game 1 against the Kings he may as well have flushed his brain with his pre-game dump. Vigneault still chose to give him minutes over Ballard who was having a relatively good series in the 4 games he was dressed for. We have watched plenty of rookies make fewer mistakes than Edler made, they were often benched for the remainder of the game and then not on the roster for the next one. Vigneault has his own ideas about what kind of player should play on his team, it has nothing to do with the level of experience or performance. If he likes a player that player will play.....if he doesn't then the player had better be putting up near point-per-game numbers if they want to keep their spot.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:32 pm

Apparently Canuck scouts are living at Marlie games these days. Fucking great.....unless Jake the Snake is coming back I want no part of that team........ or unless Frattin comes with Finn and a 1st rounder/Tyler Biggs.

I will absolutley scream if Colborne comes back here at all. Kadri has a hair of intrigue with his skill but this team needs more chutzpah in it's top 9 forward group not less.

I would hope that more teams other than the Leafs would be all in on Luongo.

Is it just me or does it seem like this place is fucking dead ??? I can only boot the dudes sorry ass around this board for so long before it gets old. I guess some of you kids like to go to hf boards and see people rack up their 40 or 50 posts a day. What a dump that place is and the mods are fucking Nazis.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat