Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: OK, I don't mind Labate, Jensen, Gaunce, Kassian, Mallete, McNally, Connauton, Corrado. But the rest can go. Schroeder and Rodin won't make it to the bigs.
I guess that's why they draft 210 or so players every year. Some will make it, most wont. Guys like Connauton (83rd overall) rub shoulders with guys like Matt Irwin (undrafted) in AHL all-star games. Who knows with most of these guys? The draft is, for the most part, a crap shoot.

It's easy to knock these picks looking back. Schroeder was rated 5th among North American forwards, he's/was obviously a talented kid. He fell to 22nd, we bit... but how much further would he fall? It's now apparent that the four N.A. guys below him (Tavares, Duchene, Kane, and B.Schenn) are all going to be NHL regulars, but Schenn just cracked the NHL full time last season. It's not a stretch to imagine Schroeder getting some NHL games this season.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sucking back some Yukon Gold at the moment. Not too shabby, but I prefer the Crown. Vodka might save your weight but it's still meant for whores who want to drop their pants.
Have you tried Forty Creek?

I just finished off a bottle of Crown Special Reserve or Private Reserve......whatever the hell it was it goes off the shelf up here at anywhere from $79-$99 for a two-six. I scored it on a cruise for $30. That was some good shit.
RespectYourEdlers
CC Rookie

Post by RespectYourEdlers »

It's a lot easier to look back in hindsight and nitpick at the draft picks, and the whole draft picks discussion is going nowhere except in circles.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RespectYourEdlers wrote:It's a lot easier to look back in hindsight and nitpick at the draft picks, and the whole draft picks discussion is going nowhere except in circles.
Well, RD's troll act usually sees him chasing his own tail at some point, given enough time.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sucking back some Yukon Gold at the moment. Not too shabby, but I prefer the Crown. Vodka might save your weight but it's still meant for whores who want to drop their pants.
Have you tried Forty Creek?

I just finished off a bottle of Crown Special Reserve or Private Reserve......whatever the hell it was it goes off the shelf up here at anywhere from $79-$99 for a two-six. I scored it on a cruise for $30. That was some good shit.
I've tried the special reserve, and I do enjoy it. My problem is that I work out of Yellowknife, and the price of booze up there is downright criminal. I've been shipped to Watson Lake for the past couple weeks, and the drive (High Level, Fort Nelson and back up) have allowed me the chance to re-stock. Can't say I've tried the Forty Creek, but now I'll keep an eye out for it though (thanks!).

The idea is to stock up on the way out of here (without the HST), and in High Level (no wonder people can tolerate the Oilers and Flames with such cheap booze prices), before hitting Yellowknife again. Then it's nuclear winter until December when I can escape home to Victoria. I'll suffer the HST if I can see the ocean.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:How the hell does a man acquire a tase for scotch Pacific Blue ?

I like Whiskey here and there but scotch tastes terrible.

As an asside I need to dump the beer and get back on the vodka/fruity smoothie type drinks. I went from 225 down to 200 back up to 210. My weight is up and down like a whores pants.
I enjoy a wee dram.

I can drink rum faster than water, and three days later find out what I said to my best friends wife. Scotch is a slow sipper. Start with the Irish and then head for Islay.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:Trust me danbobrob. Ain't no draft picks by Gillis and his band of merry men, post 1st round that will ever be as good as Krecji, Bergeron, Marchand and Lucic. Gillis blows monkey balls when it comes to drafting and developing.
I don't trust you to do anything except make yourself look like a complete moron, day in day out, on these boards. Which is weird because every hundred posts or so you come out with something totally reasonable.
Rodin??? Are you fucking kidding me.
Jesus Christ man. Can you read? As I've repeatedly said Rodin is just about the only player selected by Gillis that comes even close to being comparable to those Bruins you mentioned in the here and now.

So am I kidding you about Rodin? No. But the point is that he's the only one we can really start to write off, the (few) kids drafted in 2010 and the selections from 2011 and 2012 will take at least a few years before we start to see whether they earn a shot in the league within about the same timeframe as guys like Krejci and Marchand.

Right now you're just peering into your crystal ball and predicting doom and gloom for these players, because you can't fucking help yourself from taking a decent point (Gillis' drafting doesn't appear to be exceptional and may not even be decent) and going way overboard with it.
Maybe Gillis might have bagged a decent prospect had he not wasted the 2nd and 3rd round picks on Bernier and the 1st round pick on Ballard.
Yeah well, as I pointed out Gillis has given himself an uphill battle trying to build the Canucks system through the draft - trading a 1st, a 2nd, multiple 3rds and 4ths will do that. Basically he's given himself four drafts in five years.
Can you imagine if we had both Brayden McNabb (Buffalo selected him with our 3rd pick Gillis gave them for Bernier) and Quinton Howden in our system? (Florida selected Howden with our 1st pick). Both McNabb and Howden are very good prospects. That being said, Gillis probably would have selected some goofball if he had the pick.
Well I can't say the Bernier and Ballard trades were successful but frankly given the position the Canucks were in at the time I am glad we had a GM who was looking to add depth to the NHL roster rather than the AHL one or looking to earn the praise of HockeysFuture and message board clowns who can't stop slobbering over the Edmonton Oilers.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:How the hell does a man acquire a tase for scotch Pacific Blue ?
Good conversation? Not sure if that applies to the interweb, but it's clear we need hockey back, if only to have something to talk about (both in real life and with you creatures). :twisted:
As an asside I need to dump the beer and get back on the vodka/fruity smoothie type drinks. I went from 225 down to 200 back up to 210. My weight is up and down like a whores pants.
Sucking back some Yukon Gold at the moment. Not too shabby, but I prefer the Crown. Vodka might save your weight but it's still meant for whores who want to drop their pants.
I disagree, I have been buying some good whiskey/scotch and voodka and even put out $100 on some really fine tequila.

Regardless of who is picked I don't think AV is a coach who gives young players a real chance.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

Regardless of who is picked I don't think AV is a coach who gives young players a real chance.
Totally agree. Rookies under him get very few chances to play through their mistakes. How many times have we seen guys stapled to the bench for periods at a time?

It seems to me he would much rather insert a 3rd or 4th line journeyman who is about as vanilla as they get, but not very mistake prone, over the risk/reward rookie. Same goes for the D. So really, who’s to say any of those draft picks we missed out on would even be playing under AV. Mind you it would be nice to have a couple of those picks back.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Hansen, Bieksa, Raymond and Schneider have all done well developing with AV. The playing field with AV is the same for all young players, work hard, learn the defensive game. learn from your mistakes and ice time will be earned.

Nothing wrong with that unless you believe rookies should be handed coddled offensive minutes and 2nd unit pp duty. (Pump and dump.)
Last edited by Topper on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^^ i LIKE it!!

Henceforth Cody Hodgson shall be known as "Pump & Dump"....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: Nothing wrong with that unless you believe rookies should be handed coddled offensive minutes and 2nd unit pp duty. (Pump and dump.)
My god how true!
So will that be the career year for him? It is a definite possibility. If Kassian can grow into his body over the next couple of years we may have a reverse stojanov with a DQ swirl
If you need air...call it in
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Brick Tamland wrote:
Totally agree. Rookies under him get very few chances to play through their mistakes. How many times have we seen guys stapled to the bench for periods at a time?
So to indicate proof of your (and others) theory there must be a long list of young players that couldn't make it a a regular on the Canucks due to lack of icetime but then moved on to other teams and excelled!

Oh and PumpAndDump doesn't count.

:D
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'm not sure how much pumping and dumping the dextral Cody is doing with a broken right hand.

Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

Yup, there's no denying that there hasn't been a lot to work with (rookies that is) in his tenure here. IMO he just doens't seem very rookie friendly.