Canucks to retire Pavel Bures number 10

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Canucks to retire Pavel Bures number 10

Post by TDA Rum »

According to Sportsnet tonight, the Canucks will retire Pavel Bures number 10....
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks to retire Pavel Bures number 10

Post by Cornuck »

Good - about time.

Most exciting, most talented player we've had.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

will be awesome to see him take a bow in Rogers...or would be awesome if he actually is there for that and I could manage to be there to see it...

I'm sure that tickets to that game will be at a premium as there ought to be a lot of fans who never got a chance to really say good bye.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Will he come to Vancouver?
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

TDA Rum wrote:According to Sportsnet tonight, the Canucks will retire Pavel Bures number 10....

Are we gonna semi-retire his number 96 too?? :) :D :D
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Great, now we'll have four numbers too many in the rafters.

At least Bure will be the best player and the only hall of famer with his jersey retired, and he was the last, and the mosts contentious of the four that will be up there.

We're all Canucks.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

coco_canuck wrote:Great, now we'll have four numbers too many in the rafters.

At least Bure will be the best player and the only hall of famer with his jersey retired, and he was the last, and the mosts contentious of the four that will be up there.

We're all Canucks.
Make lemonade Coco it's the beverage of the championshipless .. :)
Last edited by ukcanuck on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I don't mind hanging up his #, but his selection is debatable. I know he's a HoFer which is good, but he didn't win a cup here and his time in Vancouver was rather short. He didn't exactly have a Canucks logo tattooed on his butt like Linden and Smyl. I don't mind Smyl and Linden being hung up; however, with Pavel and Nasi, I think they're kind of borderline. Just not sure I like the idea of having 4 jerseys being hung up, but no Cup and 2 of them didn't even really want to be here when times were tough and they were not happy. They put themselves before the team. No doubt, Pavel is probably the most exciting and one of the most talented players to wear a Canucks' jersey, but in my opinion he lacks character and is a bit of a flake. For those reasons, I'm not sure I hang up his jersey.

I am pretty sure Hank and Dank will be hung up too, so there's a potential of 6 numbers and no cup. :cry:
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

About time...... 10 is the only number that should be up there IMHO. The other three being up there kinda cheapens the honor.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I dont have issues with any of them..least of all bure...electrifying.. there was always a chance if he was playing..

anyways 40 years and no cup...doesnt mean 40 years without good players.....we have had some pretty interesting times as canuck fans and these guys were a huge part of it... 8-)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

We could probably go around the league and find a ton of players with retired or honoured numbers with a team that never won a Cup with that team.

There's no disputing his talent level and he's going to be the only HoF member with their number retired by the Canucks. He deserves it.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

or not...

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2012/11/08 ... witterfeed
Aquilini has not commented on the report, which quotes only ex-Canuck Gino Odjick, so no one from the organization is speaking on the record about it. But it’s clear people in the Canucks have no knowledge of this plan because, almost certainly, it does not exist.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Smyl & Linden both deserve their numbers up there, it just wouldn't seem right to see any other player wear those numbers. I would be unsure about Pavel but when Naslund's is included there is no doubt Bure belongs up there. The only shame is how he was treated here, with proper mgmt he should have spent at least another 5yrs on the Canucks. In fact, the team should have been built around him starting w/ a no.1 playmaking center, a policeman who could play and a true PP QB.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

One thing is for sure - he was an amazing skater and one-on-one offensive hockey player, but also was a great playmaker and stood up for himself too...

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

damn that boy liked to score!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.