There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: There will be a strike

Postby okcanuck » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:29 am

Strangelove wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:we need to commission a new poll....who would you kill first and how would you do it??? bettman or the fehr brothers...tough choice for me...

I dunno buds, kill one Jew and it's murder/manslaughter/justifiable homicide.

Kill THREE and it's a hate crime!

As an aside, seeing as how all three are American Jews, it's likely all three are Dems.

That's right, fucking lefties are standing between us and our hockey!! :evil:

So, once again, logic dictates we lash out at lefties wherever we find them during this lockout....

*starts handing out pitchforks to villagers*

Shoot both Bettman and Feur and while your at it shoot that moronic Donald Trump. What an asshole.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Tciso » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:41 am

Strangelove wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:we need to commission a new poll....who would you kill first and how would you do it??? bettman or the fehr brothers...tough choice for me...

I dunno buds, kill one Jew and it's murder/manslaughter/justifiable homicide.

Kill THREE and it's a hate crime!

As an aside, seeing as how all three are American Jews, it's likely all three are Dems.

That's right, fucking lefties are standing between us and our hockey!! :evil:

So, once again, logic dictates we lash out at lefties wherever we find them during this lockout....

*starts handing out pitchforks to villagers*

Dr Love, I usually don't agree with you, but I have always wanted to be part of an armed mob with a cause. Count me in :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:55 am

Tciso wrote:Dr Love, I usually don't agree with you, but I have always wanted to be part of an armed mob with a cause. Count me in :)

Excellent...

*paints targets on UK, Spidey, Lancer, and Per*
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby ukcanuck » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:12 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Tciso wrote:Dr Love, I usually don't agree with you, but I have always wanted to be part of an armed mob with a cause. Count me in :)

Excellent...

Listen to The Reverend Sammual Parris and Governor William Phipps going over the edge :)
You guys realize the witch hunt was over a hallucinogenic substance in the rye bread right?
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:16 pm

ukcanuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Excellent...

Listen to The Reverend Sammual Parris and Governor William Phipps going over the edge :)
You guys realize the witch hunt was over a hallucinogenic substance in the rye bread right?

Toad Lickers....:)
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Strangelove » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:38 pm

ukcanuck wrote:You guys realize the witch hunt was over a hallucinogenic substance in the rye bread right?

*hands out more rye bread... and more pitchforks*
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby ukcanuck » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Strangelove wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:You guys realize the witch hunt was over a hallucinogenic substance in the rye bread right?

Right fisted rabble rouser -_-
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Tiger » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Strangelove wrote:

Adds one slightly burnt KKK cross
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:47 am

Well that all fell apart in a hurry.....

Out of curiosity, could the owners not all just sit down together and hammer out an agreement between each other that limited their own spending and governed contract negotiations? If they all just agreed to set a hard cap (which appears to be what they are wanting, and then agree that the maximum length of a contract is X number of years, then the PA would have to resort to a strike if they didn't like it. Don't even need to set a maximum individual salary. If the cap is $59M and some fool owner wants to pay Ovechkin $20M a year and then surround him with plumbers to round out the roster, well so be it, the team can suck in perpetuity.

The union only has the power it does because the owners are a fractured group when it comes to working together.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby okcanuck » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:50 am

Meds wrote:Well that all fell apart in a hurry.....

Out of curiosity, could the owners not all just sit down together and hammer out an agreement between each other that limited their own spending and governed contract negotiations? If they all just agreed to set a hard cap (which appears to be what they are wanting, and then agree that the maximum length of a contract is X number of years, then the PA would have to resort to a strike if they didn't like it. Don't even need to set a maximum individual salary. If the cap is $59M and some fool owner wants to pay Ovechkin $20M a year and then surround him with plumbers to round out the roster, well so be it, the team can suck in perpetuity.

The union only has the power it does because the owners are a fractured group when it comes to working together.

Theres a real problem with the owners agreeing amongst themselves on contract sizes and lengths. Its called collusion and is against the law in the US.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby the Dogsalmon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:28 pm

okcanuck wrote:

Theres a real problem with the owners agreeing amongst themselves on contract sizes and lengths. Its called collusion and is against the law in the US.

but not in Canada...Chevron/PetroCan/Shell...shall i go on...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby okcanuck » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:57 pm

the Dogsalmon wrote:
okcanuck wrote:

but not in Canada...Chevron/PetroCan/Shell...shall i go on...

Absolutely right as fucked as the system is in the States at least they have competition.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Meds » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:08 pm

I still can't get my head around the players (PA's) mindset on one issue.

The owners are offerring them 50%. But the players want fixed dollar amounts with guaranteed increases. If the league stumbles and the players get that, then the owners are screwed and lose out, so obviously they [the owners] aren't going to go for that. If the league maintains and it's current level of revenue then the players are getting half. More than fair. If the league, for some unfathomable reason at this point, suddenly took off and revenues exploded, then the players could be getting well under 50%, so come next CBA they will be pissed and want a bigger piece of the pie.....which the owners won't want to give up at that point. But maintaining 50/50 the players stand to gain from any increase in revenue, and the players can help make that happen by putting on the best show they can and by making their real employers, the fans, happy.

If that is the sticking point for the owners, then the players are beyond unreasonable if they won't accept a 50/50 deal. All I've heard from players and Fehr is that the PA wants to work with the league and make this happen and better the game and the league and be "partners" with the owners in growing the NHL as a product. Refusing a 50/50 deal where both sides share the same risks and reap the same benefits is kind of contrary to that.

For the owners part, if the PA is hung up over the "make whole" plan, then just bite the bullet you signed your name on and honor the deal contracts. You don't have to roll them back or worry about future contracts. Just grandfather the existing contracts in and deal with it. Let them count against the cap for each team as the maximum allowable under the new system. The rest is just paid out and counted outside the cap. To me that is a no-brainer.

When it comes to contract lengths and max salaries, well I'm on the owners side still. They can decide what they want to do with their money and who they want to give it to and for how long. If you are a player in this situation then you simply have to be good enough to make it. That's the bottom line and it is a fair expectation. If you want to earn the league max you better perform to that level or you won't be earning it anymore once your contract is up. Damn it anyways if you make $30M over 5 years and then have to worry about how much you'll get for the next 5 years after that......GASP!!! It might only be $27M. Well clearly that's not enough to live on! :wow:

As for the pensions and shit.....ummm.....helloooo.....you just made more money in a 10 year career than the average person is going to make in their entire life. If you invested a tenth of it wisely you are going to draw more of a pension from interest than most people will get from their actual pension plans. I'm not OK with government officials getting the pensions they are "entitled to", definitely not going to be OK with a hockey player griping about not getting enough of a pension.

I've rambled again. Just can't get my head around the kind of greed that is passing around between the two parties involved here.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Tiger » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:24 pm

Meds wrote:

As for the pensions and shit.....ummm.....helloooo.....you just made more money in a 10 year career than the average person is going to make in their entire life. If you invested a tenth of it wisely you are going to draw more of a pension from interest than most people will get from their actual pension plans. I'm not OK with government officials getting the pensions they are "entitled to", definitely not going to be OK with a hockey player griping about not getting enough of a pension.

OK I am an old fart but in 40 years of working I didn't make as much as some hockey players make in 1 year let alone 10..
Getting a little tired of listening to the "union" crap . This is about greed not fairness or need.. Some of the owners go broke over the years but the players get to live the dream and are very well compensated .. Sorry, I have very little compassion for the "poor downtrodden " players..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby the Dogsalmon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:22 am

Tiger wrote:Meds wrote:

OK I am an old fart but in 40 years of working I didn't make as much as some hockey players make in 1 year let alone 10..
Getting a little tired of listening to the "union" crap . This is about greed not fairness or need.. Some of the owners go broke over the years but the players get to live the dream and are very well compensated .. Sorry, I have very little compassion for the "poor downtrodden " players..

damn straight Tiger...NHL workers unite...what a goddamn joke...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat