Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Tiger »

hmmm ok to try and be "on topic".. here was Jake Milfords goaltender trade..

The Carrot top ..
March 1982: To Vancouver: Jim Nill, Tony Currie, Rick Heinz and a 4th round pick (Shawn Kilroy)
To St. Louis: Glen Hanlon

Lets see if Gillis does as well with Luongo..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Aaronp said :
Anyways, perhaps if Shultz really thought about it he could have realized that with his services the Canucks may be that much closer to another Cup run, in particularly within the next 3 years (when his rookie deal is set to expire). Then his contract will be up and the Canucks may be headed in another direction, and he could move on if he doesn't like the way things are going.
Perhaps Shutlz thought that the Canucks are in decline NOW.. and Oil on the way up? Unless MG comes up with a great return for Roberto.. this is the truth..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tiger wrote:Aaronp said :

Perhaps Shutlz thought that the Canucks are in decline NOW.. and Oil on the way up? Unless MG comes up with a great return for Roberto.. this is the truth..
this

I think there might be a bit of a denial factor here regarding the future of the Canucks and Oilers. Most Hedge Fund Managers would be calling the Oilers a good investment right now and the exact opposite for the Canucks. No offense, but this team only goes when the Sedins go, once they are gone, we have nothing in the way of high end talent replacing those two. They will be 33 next year. When they hit 36, the young whipper snapper Oilers are still in their early 20's hitting their stride. It's simple mathematics.

Also, I disagree that the Canucks are odds on favorite to win the cup or Strong contenders. That window of opportunity left when the Bruins won the Stanley Cup.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote: Also, I disagree that the Canucks are odds on favorite to win the cup or Strong contenders. That window of opportunity left when the Bruins won the Stanley Cup.
Who said they were odds on favorites to win the Cup? I would still consider them contenders, and with a (hopefully) shortened season coming up it may work in their favour. Going into the playoffs would you have considered the Kings odds on favorites.

Nobodies denying the talent in Edmonton, but it's what Oilers management can do with that talent that is the big question. I would say they should be hitting their stride in the 2014-15 season and as of right now they have a whopping 4 players signed for that season (6 if you include Klefbom and Musil). That's a lot of work and a lot of roster spots to fill.

Remember when Gagner and Cogliano were going to bring the Oilers back from the brink? Oilers management surrounded these guys with nothing but more high first round picks.

Again though your missing my point, if Shultz really wanted to win he could have signed here for 2-3 years which is still within the Canucks "window of opportunity". Then he could have moved on if the team was headed for a rebuild.

He wanted his NHL salary as soon as possible and signing with the Oilers is easily the best way to get that. I don't blame him for that, it's his choice, just don't tell me he went with his best chance to win a championship because that isn't the case.

If he was really looking for his best shot at a Cup he probably should have signed with the Rangers. :P
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tiger wrote:Blob Wrote ..
Jake Milford traded Rick Vaive and Billy D for Tiger Williams. Yeah he was a real wizard.
OK it was actually Tiger and Jerry Butler.. but probably Jakes worst trade .. Vaive turned into To's first 50 goal scorer.. Tiger's best year was 35 .. However Vaive was not good defensively .. Tiger was that as well as a great entertainer .. Only Canuck to win top goalscorer and top penalty minutes in the same season :)
The same Jake Milford had a few other trades to build a team that was completely shot when he got to Vancouver..

Gradin for a 2 round draft choice :)
Lars Lindgren signed as FA..
Kevin McArthy plus Drew Callendar .. for Vervegart.
"King " Richard Brodeur and a 5th rounder for Canucks 5th rounder..
Ivan Bolderive and Darcy Rota for Don Lever and Brad Smith
Brought in Delorme ( The Chief ) and Colin Campbell ( a nasty dman for sure )
Dealt Ashton for the rights to Ivan Hlinka and Juri Bubla..
Sorry Blob.. Jake maybe made a bad trade Vaive for Tiger .. but he did a great job building a tough team that fought its way to the Stanley Cup finals..
Jakes teams made the playoffs 5 years in a row... Toronto .. nope just twice in 5 years
Tiger had one 35 goal season. Vaive AVERAGED 40 + goals for the next ten seasons. Derlago averaged 35 for the next 6 years after. That trade is 2nd only to the Neely/Wesley trade as the worst one this team has ever made.

Dealing Ashton for Bubla was ok short term , but horrific long term into the mid eighties when the bottom of the team fell out. Brent Ashton was a very good player for 15 years after leaving here. Hlinka played two years and Bubla played for 4. Drafting Jere Gillis 4th overall ahead of Doug Wilson and Mike Bossy was cool.

Milford's teams never had more than 77 points in any year. They benefitted from being ina very weak conference and in 82 when all of the good teams got upset in the first and 2nd rounds. He was an ok GM at best who drafted very well in 78 and made some good depth trades. He was no Bill Torrey, Glen Sather or Sam Pollock.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

The Hockey News has Van as favoured to win the cup. Getting a bunch of young stars together can work well as in a previous version of the Oil with Gretz, etc. However, I am not sure the demands for depth and second third and fourth lines is going to fit in the Cap whatever that may turn into. Klefbom coulb be a stud but he is a swede and only some swedes who are good can play NHL. Also Van does have talent coming up. The Sedins will have to be replaced but the club has the brains and money to make it work. I do not see us getting a lottrey pick anytime soon unless we trade for it.

I do not think there is another set of fans in the NHL who are so fucking pessimistic about a great club that is well run. The fuck is wrong with some of you? We modeled on the Wings for a reason. We have been in the hunt for a while and I trust the Club to deliver a Cup soon.

Someone said we will never win it due to the Boston series. You are taking the media too seriously man. The glass is only full when they are on a big run. For most Canuck fans it is easy to retreat into negativity. Lou is a perfect example. Be fans and stop parroting the fear. I know some are not like this but it seems the shitty Van media is winning the perception war with some of you. It did with me for a while.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote: Yup, if it was about a chance to win he'd be in Vancouver.
Yes, Schultz with his age and all is completely focused only on the short term, the near future, since he only has a few years left in his long storied NHL career, his days as a pro are coming to and end. Sorry my friend, he sees something brewing in Edmonton. No offense, but the heart of your beloved Vancouver Canucks, ahem 'the Sedins' ahem are coming close to the end of the line. Schultz, Im assuming is a smart man, it ain't too hard to see what the future lies here, for both clubs. To sit there and to completely disregard just how good this group of RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Klefbom will be like in a few years when they start to really hit their stride is complete fucking ignorance.
LOL the same Coilers who have garnered an average of 66 points the last three seasons. The same team that has a weak goalie, two or three NHL D-men no depth in the middle and no gritty wingers that can play. Real fucking juggernaut there Pacific Blue. The city is an armpit and soon enough that and the constant losing will wear on the young kids. i see them maybe making the playoffs in a couple of years but that team needs a HELL of a lot more than what they currently have. Devan Dubnyk moves about as quicly as Alex Bauld. Big, slow backup goalie.

Klefbom migth be a 4/5 d-man one day and Schultz looks good but after that it's pretty slim pickings. Then again you were the guy signing the praises of Colton Teubert , so there ya go. Any team with Tamby and Lowe running it with Katz as an owner does not worry me in the slightest.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Klefbom migth be a 4/5 d-man one day and Schultz looks good but after that it's pretty slim pickings.
Gotta disagree with ya there Blobby Mac. Klefbom will most likely be a top 2 D-man one day. 6-3, fast, great shot, passer, great puck moving abilities, smart blah, blah, the guy is through the roof on the charts. Hockeysfuture rates him an 8.0, same as Schultz. Do they Canucks even have an 8.0 rated prospect??? Klefbom would undoubtedly be our no. 1 prospect in our system if he were a Canuck. I don't think ya know too much about this kid from the ways ya talkin', B-Mac.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:LOL the same Coilers who have garnered an average of 66 points the last three seasons. The same team that has a weak goalie, two or three NHL D-men no depth in the middle and no gritty wingers that can play. Real fucking juggernaut there Pacific Blue. The city is an armpit and soon enough that and the constant losing will wear on the young kids. i see them maybe making the playoffs in a couple of years but that team needs a HELL of a lot more than what they currently have. Devan Dubnyk moves about as quicly as Alex Bauld. Big, slow backup goalie.

Klefbom migth be a 4/5 d-man one day and Schultz looks good but after that it's pretty slim pickings. Then again you were the guy signing the praises of Colton Teubert , so there ya go. Any team with Tamby and Lowe running it with Katz as an owner does not worry me in the slightest.
Mostly I agree with ya Blob. But when I look at the offense that team can put together with a few of their young players, I gotta think they will be a threat to make the next playoffs we see.....maybe 2 seasons away at most.

Eberle, Hall, and RNH are good enough to carry the offense now. Particularly when you have guys like Ales Hemesky and Sam Gagner to factor in. It's 5 parts of a top 6. They need some size though. Beyond that they are absolute shit, and Gagner really isn't a guy that will carry a line, he's like Morrison to Bertuzzi and Naslund.

So 5 guys who can play.....and don't forget Yakupov waiting in the wings to get his shot. He's Russian, so that could mean boom or bust, but if he pans out then with one right move, like trading Gagner, Hemesky, and a pick or two, for two top 6 guys that can bring a physical component to their offense, well there you have a very good top 6. Then there are 6 other guys who can eat a few minutes and maybe rough up the other team. It's not bad......until you look at the blueline corps.

Nothing doing there, the blueline is weak. Prospects have no mentors and the coaching staff doesn’t inspire when it comes to player development in that department.....which is weird when you think that Kevin Lowe, their President of Hockey Operations, was actually a good NHL defenseman who could play at both ends of the ice. Couple the weak blueline with a complete mess in the crease and you have a team that can probably score their way into the post-season but will be a complete non-factor once the whistle gets put away and opponents tighten up and every point has to be earned. At that point their young-gun offense will need some seasoning and support before they do any damage beyond first round appearances.

Once they get to that stage, they will not be drafting in the top 2 anymore, their prospect cupboard will start to thin out and any trade leverage will begin to disappear. Then they will have to rely on being able to attract marquis free agents to their team.....this is when the “armpit” kicks them in the ass and they start a new plunge back to the basement. At that point their current upcoming stars will want out for a chance to play for a contender.

Edmonton is screwed.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote:
..this is when the “armpit” kicks them in the ass .

Edmonton is screwed.
I find it more like an ass....an ass load of nothing surrounding a smelly little valley with a brown excuse for a river cutting through town.
Other than that you're right on the money! Lots of sizzle but no steak when the games will matter.
If you need air...call it in
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

so, since the NHLPA and the Owners are talking again, speculation has begun on the end of the lockout....

Does this mean everyone can start speculating on Luongo's trade date again??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Madcombinepilot wrote:so, since the NHLPA and the Owners are talking again, speculation has begun on the end of the lockout....

NHL/NHLPA agree Nov 9th
NHLPA ratify deal Nov 16th
Season starts Dec 1 - 3

Luongo traded Nov 21st

Canucks win cup June ??

Fans don't riot May/June/July
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Reefer2 wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:so, since the NHLPA and the Owners are talking again, speculation has begun on the end of the lockout....

NHL/NHLPA agree Nov 9th
Season starts Dec 1 - 3

Luongo traded Nov 21st

Canucks win cup June ??

speculatoriumism :sly:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Reefer2 wrote:

NHL/NHLPA agree Nov 9th
Season starts Dec 1 - 3

Luongo traded Nov 21st

Canucks win cup June ??

We have a black man hanging around the White House for another 4 years, so anything is possible.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Klefbom migth be a 4/5 d-man one day and Schultz looks good but after that it's pretty slim pickings.
Gotta disagree with ya there Blobby Mac. Klefbom will most likely be a top 2 D-man one day. 6-3, fast, great shot, passer, great puck moving abilities, smart blah, blah, the guy is through the roof on the charts. Hockeysfuture rates him an 8.0, same as Schultz. Do they Canucks even have an 8.0 rated prospect??? Klefbom would undoubtedly be our no. 1 prospect in our system if he were a Canuck. I don't think ya know too much about this kid from the ways ya talkin', B-Mac.
Klefbom has some tools for sure, but he hasn't put up any numbers that lead a person to believe he will be the superstar you and your buddies at hf are drumming him up to be.

The fact that you preach about hf as being good judges of talent tells me a lot. You could find a few of your mouthwash guzzling buddies from the Ivanhoe who know as much about hockey as the retards who write for hf. About 6 or 7 years ago hf had the Canucks prospects listed as in the bottom 5 of the league. I think Edler, Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, Hansen and even your bois Raymond and Grabner have proven those idiots wrong. We will never know about Bourdon.....though for once the Pauser was right, Kopitar was a no brainer with that pick. I was yelling at Cheesburger Boy when he passed him by.