Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:

Hell, Nonis kicks Gillis ass in drafting at only 3 years when compared to Gillis 5. Shite, can you imagine if Bourdon was still with us? Gillis should be thankful for Nonis drafting and acquiring Schneider and Luongo. Just those two Nonis players make Nonis a mere fucking GM'ing geniuse right up their with Jake fucking Milford.
Jake Milford traded Rick Vaive and Billy D for Tiger Williams. Yeah he was a real wizard.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

Hell, Nonis kicks Gillis ass in drafting at only 3 years when compared to Gillis 5. Shite, can you imagine if Bourdon was still with us? Gillis should be thankful for Nonis drafting and acquiring Schneider and Luongo. Just those two Nonis players make Nonis a mere fucking GM'ing geniuse right up their with Jake fucking Milford.
Jake Milford traded Rick Vaive and Billy D for Tiger Williams. Yeah he was a real wizard.

i think that was sarcasm Blob...
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Justin Schultz has been lights out in the AHL, but what's the historical precedence for AHL d-men who were a top the league in scoring?

Well Elliotte Friedman brought this up in his 30 thoughts:
Mark Spector looked back and noticed that no defenceman was AHL player of the week last season. Justin Schultz has one already. Here's another stat: Schultz leads the league in scoring with 12 points. In the last 32 years, only three blue-liners have reached the Top 10 -- Steve Bancroft (2001), Chris Snell (1994) and Craig Levie (1981).
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... rains.html

Bancroft and Snell combined to play 40 career NHL games, and one time Canuck Levie did the best out of the three, playing in 183 games, the equivalent to a little more than two full NHL seasons.

Not saying Schultz will go the way of those three, but just some perspective about the AHL and the role of offensive d-men in that league. Its long been understood that offensive d-men can flourish in the AHL because they can get away with offensive risks and skill moves at that level. But in the NHL, positioning, defensive awareness and mental aptitude is much more critical to two-way success.

Having said that, it was very disappointing that the Canucks could not sign Schultz, and maybe MG could have been more shrewd, but for those thinking Schultz is a sure-fire superstar based on his AHL performance, temper your enthusiasm just a bit and let his game speak for itself in the NHL.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:Money was never the issue with Shultz.
DUH! RD, Mëds: WAKE UP... you braindead mammyrammers!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Hockey Widow wrote:Money was never the issue with Shultz. The Canucks offered the maximum allowed under the ELC. Opportunity to play in the NHL with good minutes was the breaking point. Edmonton offered him a regular NHL spot, his to lose. The Canucks offered him a shot at camp to earn the spot. Shultz never demanded a spot. But the opportunity was greater in Edmonton that he would get a chance right away, not so with the Canucks.

His decision was based upon where he felt he could slide in right away and play NHL minutes. It is where most pundits predicted he would end up or where they felt he SHOULD end up. That in the end was the deciding factor for him. His heart was in Vancouver but his career opportunities lied elsewhere.

What could MG have done to counter that? Well, I guess he could have said yes, you have a spot on the D and it is yours to lose. I mean the let Salo go, they let Rome go. To me that sent a message that they were clearing a spot for the kid. But MG would not make a promise he would be on the opening day roster. In fairness to Shultz he never demanded that but Edmonton offered it up. I'm not really sure what someone expects MG should have done. Been nicer, sweeter, kinder, more fatherly?
Take him to the Roxy? :drink: :wow:
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote:
Yup, if it was about a chance to win he'd be in Vancouver.

He knows, and Edmonton all but guaranteed this, he has a far better chance landings a full time NHL gig with the Oilers. Of course paying him his NHL salary.

In Vancouver there no way he has a chance like that and there's a high probability (if the league actually started when it was supposed to) he starts in Chicago, making his AHL salary.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
Mëds wrote:With the Oilers track record for defensemen of late, he could be a total bust, and considering their goaltending situation Schultz had better be a helluvalot better defensively than most guys playing in their first NHL season.

Tell us RD, do you really think that Gillis should have matched that contract offer?
Well, I don't like to get too worked up over AHL stats but if you wonder over to the AHL website and scan the stats, you will notice that Justin Schultz is leading the AHL in scoring with 6 goals and 9 assists for 15 points in 9 games. Not bad for a rookie D-man. Next guy on the list has 12 points. Much to popular belief around here, the Oilers actually have some very good prospects on defense, Oscar Klefbom is a highly touted prospect.
I'm not saying that they don't have prospects in their cupboard, just that they haven't really demonstrated a great track record when it comes to grooming blueline prospects into solid NHL defensemen who make a significant contribution on a regular basis. That may have something to do with the fact that they haven't had any decent NHL defensemen on their regular roster who can help bring those guys along. In the last few years it has been Pronger and Souray who have been their most touted blueliners, and Pronger wanted out and Souray had a shit attitude. I think we've all seen our share of Canuck disappointments when it comes to our prospect cupboard.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Yup, if it was about a chance to win he'd be in Vancouver.

He knows, and Edmonton all but guaranteed this, he has a far better chance landings a full time NHL gig with the Oilers. Of course paying him his NHL salary.

In Vancouver there no way he has a chance like that and there's a high probability (if the league actually started when it was supposed to) he starts in Chicago, making his AHL salary.
Bingo. Schultz most likely will be playing Chicago making his AHL salary instead of Vancouver. Money is much more important for a kid than winning...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^ Yeah that's what HW was pointing out. :hmmm:

However the mammyrammers in question did not know/remember that the Canucks offered the exact ELC as the Oil!

How do two hardcore longtimers miss that at this point?

Like how many times have we gone over this...

*knocks RD and Mëds's heads together like Mo*

Enough partying boys, a new CBA is just around the corner, time to get in shape!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:^^^ Yeah that's what HW was pointing out. :hmmm:

However the mammyrammers in question did not know/remember that the Canucks offered the exact ELC as the Oil!

How do two hardcore longtimers miss that at this point?

Like how many times have we gone over this...

*knocks RD and Mëds's heads together like Mo*

Enough partying boys, a new CBA is just around the corner, time to get in shape!
I had assumed that he went to Edmonton partly for the money, but more because of a phone call from Gretzky and Coffey. Most young kids are going to be swayed when the phone rings and it's one of the best defensemen of all time and the greatest player of all time on the other end saying, "Hey, you should really consider this team as you're make your decision." That was what I thought swayed him the most. I only looked at the money he was given yesterday when I commented. I didn't think that Gillis would have offered that much.....
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: I didn't think that Gillis would have offered that much.....
Every team offered him that much there Curley. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Aaronp18 wrote: Yup, if it was about a chance to win he'd be in Vancouver.
Yes, Schultz with his age and all is completely focused only on the short term, the near future, since he only has a few years left in his long storied NHL career, his days as a pro are coming to and end. Sorry my friend, he sees something brewing in Edmonton. No offense, but the heart of your beloved Vancouver Canucks, ahem 'the Sedins' ahem are coming close to the end of the line. Schultz, Im assuming is a smart man, it ain't too hard to see what the future lies here, for both clubs. To sit there and to completely disregard just how good this group of RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Klefbom will be like in a few years when they start to really hit their stride is complete fucking ignorance.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I don't think any one doubts the talent coil country has on board. I think only..how good are they going to be and how much are they going to cost..no team can afford half a dozen superstars..2 maybe 3 and still have a decent supporting roster in todays nhl.....what with parody and all.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote: Yup, if it was about a chance to win he'd be in Vancouver.
Yes, Schultz with his age and all is completely focused only on the short term, the near future, since he only has a few years left in his long storied NHL career, his days as a pro are coming to and end. Sorry my friend, he sees something brewing in Edmonton. No offense, but the heart of your beloved Vancouver Canucks, ahem 'the Sedins' ahem are coming close to the end of the line. Schultz, Im assuming is a smart man, it ain't too hard to see what the future lies here, for both clubs. To sit there and to completely disregard just how good this group of RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Klefbom will be like in a few years when they start to really hit their stride is complete fucking ignorance.
If Shultz is so smart he should also realize that some players can go their whole career without winning a Cup, even with great players on the team and when you have the chance to play for a serious contender you should jump at it. What a team needs to be successful is a good mix of talented veterans, role players, and good young talent on entry level deals.

Edmonton is missing some pieces, even the Barons (with all the young talent they have) still have an issue keeping the puck out of their net. Not unfamiliar territory for those who have played with the big club. It's going to take more than just Shultz and experience to put the Oilers over the top.

I'm not saying there isn't a talented group there but they may run into a problem when all these first overallers contracts are up. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the new CBA has in store. Who knows how many of these players the Oilers will be able to afford in a few years when they will likely be ready to contend.

Anyways, perhaps if Shultz really thought about it he could have realized that with his services the Canucks may be that much closer to another Cup run, in particularly within the next 3 years (when his rookie deal is set to expire). Then his contract will be up and the Canucks may be headed in another direction, and he could move on if he doesn't like the way things are going.

But that would be if he didn't want to be all but guaranteed a NHL salary.

:wink:
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Blob Wrote ..
OK it was actually Tiger and Jerry Butler.. but probably Jakes worst trade .. Vaive turned into To's first 50 goal scorer.. Tiger's best year was 35 .. However Vaive was not good defensively .. Tiger was that as well as a great entertainer .. Only Canuck to win top goalscorer and top penalty minutes in the same season :)
The same Jake Milford had a few other trades to build a team that was completely shot when he got to Vancouver..

Gradin for a 2 round draft choice :)
Lars Lindgren signed as FA..
Kevin McArthy plus Drew Callendar .. for Vervegart.
"King " Richard Brodeur and a 5th rounder for Canucks 5th rounder..
Ivan Bolderive and Darcy Rota for Don Lever and Brad Smith
Brought in Delorme ( The Chief ) and Colin Campbell ( a nasty dman for sure )
Dealt Ashton for the rights to Ivan Hlinka and Juri Bubla..
Sorry Blob.. Jake maybe made a bad trade Vaive for Tiger .. but he did a great job building a tough team that fought its way to the Stanley Cup finals..
Jakes teams made the playoffs 5 years in a row... Toronto .. nope just twice in 5 years
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice